An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Dolan: Cynic Or Coward?

little2add

This went out today to priests of the Archdiocese of New York, from Cardinal Dolan. It is to be read at masses this weekend:

————————-

February 3, 2019
Feast of St. Blaise
Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

My Dear People of the Archdiocese:

Rarely do I intrude on your Sunday Mass, our most sacred time of the week, but in light
of the events of the past two weeks, our priests have asked me to share some reflections on
the radical abortion expansion bill, recently passed by our state legislature and signed with
fanfare and celebration by our governor.

This chilling law, if you have not heard, insists on the right to an abortion up to the
moment of birth; drops all charges against an abortionist who allows an aborted baby, who
somehow survived the scissors, scalpel, saline, and dismemberment, to die; mandates that, to
make an abortion more convenient and easy, a physician need not perform it; and could be
used to suppress the conscience rights of healthcare professionals not to assist in the grisly
procedure. All this in a state which already had the most permissive abortion climate, and one
of the highest rates of abortion, in the nation.

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you.”

Can there be any clearer statement of God’s eternal love for each one of us from the womb to
the tomb, than these words from the prophet Jeremiah in today’s first reading?

In the “throw-away” culture that Pope Francis so often decries, we saw actual
celebrations at the passage of a bill that makes it even easier to dispose of a life that someone might find inconvenient or troublesome, for any reason at all. Those who told us that abortion had to remain safe, legal, and rare, now have made it dangerous, imposed, and frequent.

We also had to watch and listen as our governor proudly proclaimed his dissent from this and other clear Church teaching, as if it were a badge of honor, and used an out-of-context
quote from Pope Francis as an applause line.

I’m a pastor, not a politician, and as a pastor, I am obliged to challenge our political
leaders, to urge them to re-examine their priorities, and to respect and protect the unborn baby
in the womb as strongly and passionately as we should the undocumented immigrant, the
single mom worrying how she will feed her family, our dying grandparents, or the poor
struggling to make it.

At the same time, we can recall the words of Saint Paul in his moving letter to the
Corinthians, from today’s Bible readings, “Love is patient, love is kind…It is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury. It does not rejoice over wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.”

No matter the hurt, frustration, the disappointment, and yes, even the anger we may feel now
at the passage of this horrific and grisly bill, we should not respond with more bitterness and
divisiveness, but continue to put our trust in the Lord and ask for his guidance and inspiration.

Thank God we have the promise of Jesus that “not even the gates of hell will prevail.”

With gratitude for your attention, and promising my prayers as I ask for yours, I am,

Faithfully in Christ,

+Timothy Michael Cardinal Dolan
Archbishop of New York

————————————————

69605440-C087-4-D3-A-81-F1-61-D8-DBED3-F

I can accept that excommunication might not be the best tool to call Cuomo and other politicians out of the evil they profess.

As for Cuomo,he has already excommunicated himself.   He doesn’t present himself for Holy Communion, due to his co-habitation with a woman not his wife.

He may still attend mass on occasion, but he’s just an observer

I think a formal Excommunication is in order. It’s obvious to a well practiced catholic that what he has done has excommunicated him from the church but to make it a formal matter I think will show that the church has standards and that when you open go against them in such a cataclysmic way, like with this bill, consequences will happen. 

“Probably” that’s the key word.

I see no reason why not. Abortion has been on the books as an excommunicational offence. So why not go through with it? 

You'll understand if you read his blog. 

Performance/assistance of a particular abortion is excommunicable; attempted legalization, etc are not. 

KnightofChrist

Can be excommunicated: A man who signs a check to fund an individual abortion. 

Cannot be excommunicated: A man who signs a law and budget that funds many abortions.

1 hour ago, little2add said:

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo Defends Radical Abortion Law: ‘I Am a Former Altar Boy’

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/02/06/ny-gov-andrew-cuomo-defends-radical-abortion-law-i-am-a-former-altar-boy/  Andrew Cuomo of New York defended himself against criticism that he rejected his self-proclaimed Catholic faith by signing into law a bill that allows abortion up until birth, asserting, “I was educated in religious schools, and I am a former altar boy.”

First comment in that site:

Cuomo:
“I was educated in religious schools, and I am a former altar boy.”

Lucifer:
"I was once an angel, guardian of God's Glory."

3 hours ago, Jack4 said:

asserting, “I was educated in religious schools, and I am a former altar boy.”

I think the former alter boy  "was educated in Catholic school",  funny how he refers his primary education was religious School, as if saying the word Catholic was somehow derogatory.

Dolan took a pass on alienating Cuomo from the faith he claims to belong to but clearly doesn’t practice. Rather than thanking His Eminence, Cuomo equated the Cardinal to a right wing nut job.

In an op-ed in the New York Times, the abortion loving Governor called Dolan a part of the “religious right” and accused him and others of “spreading falsehoods about abortion laws to inflame their base.”

Rather than waiting for Cuomo to go to Confession, Dolan decided to bring some online penance to the phony Catholic politician.

Dolan also told Cuomo that science drives many pro-lifers by quoting Governor Casey as saying, “I didn’t get my pro-life belief from my religion class in a Catholic school, but from my biology and U.S. Constitution classes.” It’s hard to imagine anyone looking at an ultrasound and not seeing the humanity of an unborn child.

The Catholic Church is quite clear that abortion is murder. Many Catholic politicians like Cuomo and Nancy Pelosi like to embrace the “social justice” side of Catholicism to curry votes, but they sell out their religion by sacrificing unborn children on the altar of “choice.”

https://www.redstate.com/donna-jones/2019/02/08/cardinal-dolan-andrew-cuomo/