An Old School Catholic Message Board

One priest and two religious sisters

BarbTherese

Vocation stories from Australia from The Daily Telegraph i.e. one priest and two religious sisters:

Why young people are becoming priests and religious sisters

"Now 19, McCabe’s life as a novice couldn’t be more different from most teens. She doesn’t have a smartphone and there is no TV or microwave in the convent where she lives in Canberra. Indeed, so “radical” are the poverty orders adopted by the Missionaries of God’s Love that the sisters don’t carry money and instead rely on donated food, clothes and cars to carry out their work. For McCabe, who prays for four hours a day and eats plainly during the week, a treat is a bowl of homemade custard on Saturday night."   

I had contact with the above sisters in my previous parish where they served for a few years - I really admired them and their poverty and simplicity.   I attended one of their discernment days but only as a matter of interest and information.  The Missionaries of God's Love is a charismatic religious order.  In our parish they lived in an ordinary house and slept on mattresses on the floor - the house was very ordinary and the chapel the essence of poverty and simplicity.  They would arrive for daily Mass in a donated mini bus and would sit wherever they pleased, not in a row all together.  The previous is only one way of living out the vow of poverty for example and that carries through to all other matters of religious life i.e. each Order has its own, sometimes quite unique, expression of religious living and the vows.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a wonderful story about their life. What a beautiful way to show God that you love Him. There are many ways but I have always held the highest regard for a soul to give up everything in honour of God. I have often wondered where this world would be if there was not so many praying to God constantly for the saving of our souls. Knowing that God works through people I cannot even imagine the good their prayers has been having on our souls, thank God.

There is an order of the dominican nuns just down the road from me. They live in a beautiful place along with a beautiful life. There is a most beautiful cathoilic church that is part of where they live and the wall behind the alter is made of narrow strips of mirror that go all the way up and between each mirror there is a small gap and you can see and hear them praying behind the alter. When I am there i can actuall feel the aura of grace and peace and the presence  of God is very, very strong.

I just looked up this dominican order and am giving you a link to them if you wanted to see them. This link takes you to a story about them and at the bottom is a link to their website so you can see what it looks like inside.

I enjoyed your post, thank you for writing it. God bless.....

https://www.dominicanajournal.org/dominican-monastery-of-the-mother-of-god-west-springfield-ma/

Edited by Gary david
Forgot to add link

I don't think that I have ever seen so many priests and brothers from the same religious order in the one spot (from the link Gary gave)- 

7Y8B7712-final-2-e1505656512813.jpg?resi

There is a most beautiful cathoilic church that is part of where they live and the wall behind the alter is made of narrow strips of mirror that go all the way up and between each mirror there is a small gap and you can see and hear them praying behind the alter

The above is a lovely image.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 12:25 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

I don't think that I have ever seen so many priests and brothers from the same religious order in the one spot (from the link Gary gave)- 

7Y8B7712-final-2-e1505656512813.jpg?resi

The above is a lovely image.

I know it's rather childish of me but the first thought that came to my mind when I saw the first row was Oreos.  :rotfl2::lol4:

1 hour ago, 4LoveofJMJ said:

I know it's rather childish of me but the first thought that came to my mind when I saw the first row was Oreos.  :rotfl2::lol4:

rotfl  I had to look up what Oreos were.  :wacko:

To make something of a spiritual success of religious life, you need a sound sense of humour.  I am sure the priests/brothers would appreciate the joke too............makes a change from penguins. :)