An Old School Catholic Message Board

New York priorities

little2add

BUFFALO, NY (WIVB) - People will be able to use restrooms on the gender they identify as rather than the one they were born as in non-federal courts in the State of New York beginning Monday.

with all the problems in this country why is the above , needed?

would you let your 9 y.o. Granddaughter use the (courtroom) restroom with this new law in place?   

In the spiritual life of an individual person, it is important to weed out bad habits at the very beginning. If you allow them to grow and get a hold over you, they drag you down to more and more evil.

I reckon what's true for the individual is true for the society. 

9 hours ago, little2add said:

BUFFALO, NY (WIVB) - People will be able to use restrooms on the gender they identify as rather than the one they were born as in non-federal courts in the State of New York beginning Monday.

would you let your 9 y.o. Granddaughter use the (courtroom) restroom with this new law in place?   

In response to the above, I would not allow any child in my care to use bathroom facilities for both genders.  I would not use them either.

It strikes me as case of a mustard seed i.e. the use of words or political correctness, growing into a great tree of absurdity.   "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do".

I agree very much with @Jack4.  I am so happy most every day that God called me to be Catholic and to be Catholic in a society going crazy.  A good read is Alvin Tofler's "Future Shock" , written around 40 years ago and a best seller, I can see his predictions re the future gradually unfolding and even gaining steam in the unfoldings.  Toffler in fact predicted mass schizophrenia/mental illness if we do not learn how to live and adjust, make our decisions re what to hold, what to reject etc … in a rapidly changing society on very many levels..........more or less :) .   ("You've got to know when to hold 'em ... Know when to fold 'em ...and know when to run " Lyrics "The Gambler")

(spoiler)This book was written 37 years ago, and Toffler's predictions have to a great degree come true. If you've never read Toffler, he's a must. A classic. Here Toffler speaks of a "Future Shock" in which people are not able to adjust to the quickening pace of society due to technological change. There are certain advantages to technology but are humans capable of keeping up emotionally, spiritually? He speaks of an increase in bizarre behavior (I remember reading about bizarre behavior in fiction that I thought I'd never see come to light, but to a great degree over time it has become more accepted and common), susceptibility to disease (an unexplained increase in cancer), and emotional breakdowns (which appear to be at epidemic proportions).https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/466537.Future_Shock(/spoiler) 

I hope that spoiler will come out ok.

10 hours ago, little2add said:

I don't have a practical answer for the above but truly wish that I did.  Here in Australia we did have a tendency to follow the USA - but nowadays not so much as previously.  I hope we will not face the same problem as Buffalo.

It is an illustration of what Alvin Toffler wrote about in his book HERE in that we are creating problems before finding solutions to pressing and important existing problems, compounding problems, and that this is happening far too rapidly for the human mental, emotional and spiritual faculties to cope with and I can see this happening re other subjects too.  The pressure is such on the human psyche it could trigger mental illness and Toffler predicts perhaps on a mass scale of epidemic proportions.

This is born out by an observation I read in Time Magazine probably more than 40 years ago, although I do not think Time was the author.  To paraphrase, it is that in a society gone mad, it will be the insane considered sane and the sane considered insane.........and an obvious conclusion.

"Father, forgive, they know not what they do".

Edited by BarbaraTherese

It’s time to end the Olympic Games.  

What’s next, Should we should allow performance enhancing drugs in sport  Or Genetically altered mutant supermen?

Transgender atheletes to be allowed to compete as the other sex in the Olympics WITHOUT having gender reassignment surgery

The International Olympic Committee received proposed guidelines at its 'Consensus Meeting on Sex Reassignment and Hyperandrogenism'

The policy change would allow transgender athletes to compete without having gender reassignment surgery

It would allow transgender athletes to compete after one year of hormone replacement therapy and no surgery is required

The change would be in line with NCAA standards in the United States

See more on the 2016 Olympics at: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3412969/Olympics-change-policies-allow-transgender-athletes-compete-without-having-gender-reassignment-surgery.html?fbclid=IwAR0Uc3LKfPg_5KEdPbiQWNjuwkKTjEJTJuwYdOq8kqxg-hWc8P8e2ey1n4w

i wouldn't change anything regarding which restroom is used. let them use whatever they want. the only reason this is even a big issue is because of ratings and stirring the cultural pot. as long as transgenders have existed they have used their choice restroom, and only in recent years has it become a problem. just let things be. i'm actually conservative and view transgender as messed up, but i'm not going fake outrage like everyone else. besides, there's no good option here if you want to nit pick. would you want an original woman who looks like a man to use the same restroom as your daughter? 

if transgenders were molesting children, my stance would be different. but as it is, nothing bad has happened as far as i know. people are finding problems where there are none. 

2 hours ago, linate said:

people are finding problems where there are none.

Maybe so,  I would think that this provocative action would place a greater stigma on the transgender person.    

Separate male and female bathrooms have been in existence for many years.    Most public facilities have privacy screening that would allow whomever to discreetly go to the bathroom.   

What about “peeping toms“?  What about “sex offenders”.    Don’t you think that they would take  advantage of this the situation ?  

i googled it to see if i was right. i read that there was a study that said there are almost no one who takes advantage of transgender bathroom rights. when schools research the issue, they conclude that while there could be abuse, there isn't.  a school that doesn't research the issue might fall victim to all the hypothetical abuse that might occur, but i never hear of any evidence that it actually happens. 

Studies show that transgenders are harming themselves... https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/former-johns-hopkins-head-psychiatrist-transgender-surgery-isnt-the-solutio

the "sense of being transgendered constitutes a mental disorder in two respects." The first, he says, is that "it does not correspond with physical reality." The second, more importantly, is that not treating transgender disorder properly "can lead to grim psychological outcomes."

McHugh cited a 2011 study that followed "324 sex-reassigned persons" from 1973 to 2003 in Sweden. According to the study’s abstract, it found that "persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population."

The study, McHugh wrote in his op-ed, found that “beginning about 10 years after having the surgery, the transgendered began to experience increasing mental difficulties. Most shockingly, their suicide mortality rose almost 20-fold above the comparable nontransgender population."

Just now, little2add said:

Most shockingly, their suicide mortality rose almost 20-fold above the comparable nontransgender population

Canada Shows Us The Endgame Of Transgender Extremism

Is this the End of Parental Rights? 

In case you weren’t already having enough trouble sleeping, let’s take a look at some new events on the transgender front, this time coming to us from our neighbors to the north. In Canada, the idea of “transgender kids” is nothing new and parents have been dealing with some troubling situations for a while now. But this year, the courts are stepping in to take the side of these children against the judgment and wishes of their parents in a big way. A report from Salem’s Albert Mohler asks if we’re seeing the end of parental rights.

https://albertmohler.com/2019/03/04/end-parental-rights-chilling-case-canada/

cruciatacara

I'm with @linate here. This is being made into a problem when it hasn't been one before. Transgenders usually look like the gender of the restroom they are using, not like drag queens. So what are you going to do, ask to see their genitals to know if they really are that gender? Ridiculous. Just go in, do your business and get out without worrying about other people. If your child is using a restroom on their own, tell them the same thing, go in, take care of business, get out without getting into conversations. Stand outside if you can't go in with them. Yes, I would let my child/grandchild use a bathroom. This is fear mongering.

sex change surgery is unnecessary mutilation.   Sex reassignment surgery is based on unscientific ideas - and could be doing more harm than good.

We are living at a time where what it means to be made male or female is hotly contested. Are humans divine image bearers, designed by God with an objective human nature? Or are men and women simply constructs made up by society that can be toyed with and manipulated at will?

The transgender movement relies upon assumptions that the body is a roadblock to a person’s self-fulfillment, and thus mature body development impedes personal happiness and health. Christians must reject this type of thinking because it makes createdness and the design of the body a problem, rather than a blessing of God.

cruciatacara
10 minutes ago, little2add said:

Christians must reject this type of thinking because it makes createdness and the design of the body a problem, rather than a blessing of God.

Christians must reject the type of thinking that they are constantly to judge other people and their choices. Sure, not your choice or mine, but let's leave the judging to God. After all, even St Michael didn't rebuke Satan, he asked God to do it. Let's leave it to God to sort out those who are confused.

Maybe it's time for a return to real Christian values - those of 'judge not, lest ye...' and 'love your neighbor as yourself'. You know, the stuff Jesus talked about. Especially the one about 'let him who is without sin cast the first stone'. 

When we focus on others, we are not focusing on either our own imperfections or on the glory of God's perfection. It's a distraction of the devil to tempt us into unbecoming thoughts and behaviours. 

Everytime I start to focus on someone else's apparent failings, I really miss out on so much that God has for me. That doesn't mean I can't think that someone else has gone off the rails, I often do, but I don't spend time dwelling on them... I try to spend my time in a more productive way for God.

4 hours ago, cruciatacara said:

Maybe it's time for a return to real Christian values - those of 'judge not, lest ye...' and 'love your neighbor as yourself'. You know, the stuff Jesus talked about. Especially the one about 'let him who is without sin cast the first stone'. 

Thank you - an important reminder at the beginning of Lent.  I read something about this in the book I am reading about ST Therese and her Little Way "The Love that keeps us sane".  I will have a go at finding it again.

Edited by BarbaraTherese