An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tax evasion

DominiCanis2

A family member of mine is committing tax fraud. We are talking big bucks here: around a 100.000 euros (113802 USD) of unfiled income. I know this because said family member is bragging about it at several occasions. In my country I am not obligated by law to report this, but is it my moral obligation as a Catholic? 

fides' Jack
On 2/28/2019 at 12:58 PM, DominiCanis2 said:

A family member of mine is committing tax fraud. We are talking big bucks here: around a 100.000 euros (113802 USD) of unfiled income. I know this because said family member is bragging about it at several occasions. In my country I am not obligated by law to report this, but is it my moral obligation as a Catholic? 

Personally, I would think the answer is no.  Morally, depending on the circumstances, they owe the government whatever that equates to, tax-wise.  However, there are other considerations, such as the government spending the money on morally wrong things, like abortion, and tax payers are not morally obligated to pay those kinds of taxes.

I think if the matter were one in which the person is committing fraud against another individual or perhaps even a private corporation, the offense could potentially cause harm to an individual or individuals, in which case you would be morally obligated to help that person.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.  I could be wrong.