An Old School Catholic Message Board

Laptop Assistance - HELP!

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

I have a Dell 7520 Inspiron laptop

On the lower left hand side of me below keyboard (I am facing the screen), there are portals for four little lights.  Going from the inside portal near me, the light is stable green.  The second portal light is off because I have taken out the battery to replace it.  The third portal is a flashing green light.  The fourth portal is stable green.

Why is the third portal flashing green?  I do suspect that when the laptop was connected for me that the power cord was not specifically Dell.  Could that be the problem causing the flashing green light? i.e. I need a Dell Power Cord for my model laptop?

I have looked on the internet, but nothing speaks English really - it is all in computer lingo :(

My laptop is working ok.

Edit.  Well that was interesting.  I shut down the laptop and took the power cord out.  I then put the power cord back in and started up the laptop again.  The laptop started ok and  - now all the lights are as they should be.

I fluked something or other.  Nope - now it is flickering again.  But only when I am typing... at times.  

I don't know what it is!

Edited by BarbaraTherese

https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/audhs1/sln287193/status-of-the-system-leds-in-inspiron-n5110-15r?lang=en

The above link explains what the lights mean.  My problem flashing light is the Hard Drive Status Light, sometimes referred to as HDD LED

I am reluctant to take it to a technician.  He  quoted me $200 to buy and install a new battery.  I discovered it was easy to remove and install and the battery cost me $49 with delivery.

cruciatacara

A blinking  light indicates hard drive activity on some computers. The light may blink in split-second intervals when the hard drive is in use, while prolonged blinking means that the computer is constantly requesting information stored on the hard drive.

It might not be a problem at all. Did it just start recently or has it been there every time you used the laptop?

Your laptop model is different but this is basically what Dell had to say about another laptop.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/What-do-the-flashing-lights-mean-on-the-front-of-the-Dell-XPS/td-p/5057066 

05-21-2016 09:41 PM

RE: What do the flashing lights mean on the front of the Dell XPS 8700?

Hi Troyj1972

Thanks for writing to us. 

Do you see a cylindrical icon beside the light, it indicates the hard drive. 

Which means there is a continuous access of data on the system which is indicated by the hard drive activity light. Even if you haven open any programs the HD activity will still blink as the windows is using few backend programs , drivers etc. 

The system is working normal, nothing to worry about. 

Regards

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

Thank you, cruciatacara.:)

It has only been recently more or less....... that I have noticed it anyway.  Just now it is stable and not blinking.  The blink had been rapid, split second type.

Thank you again - I am not going to be concerned about it after reading your post.  My laptop is quite old and if it crashes and dies, then I need a new one. 

Regards..........Barb