An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are iphones and social media drawing us from God?

Gary david

Witnessing their effects on people and children it seems to be. It also seems to be distancing us from each other on a face to face personal level. What do you think?

My two cents: I think that like most all of God's Gifts to us, they can be abused.  And I think that is the case with iPhones and social media too.  I don't think it is iPhones and social media per se that are drawing us from each other and from God, it is how they might be used and that is the human element of responding to God's Graces and His Gifts.

If we go back say 60 years or so, werent the people closer than they are today? Even in church there was such profound reverence and respect in all areas. Something bad happened in that short period of time. Im not sure what its not good.

What do you think? God bless....

My two cents.  I think that 60 years ago the appearance of loyalty, faithfulness and reverence was very real.  What I think happened in both the religious orders and in the laity is that we did not know how to think constructively for ourselves and post V2 we were asked to do so but we did not know how.

Pre V2 and some 60 years ago we were servants of The Law, the rules and regulations.  Provided we stayed on the right side of the latter, we were assuredly Heaven bound.    Personally for myself, V2 was a real breath of fresh air welcomed.  I know that many found it terribly difficult and my faithfully Catholic parents included who called V2 "the protestantization of Catholicism".  I think that changes were flowing from V2 too quickly for many to grasp underlying reasons and adjust behaviour accordingly.  It did remind me of the best seller back in the 70's by Alvin Tofler "Future Shock". AMAZON - HERE

cruciatacara
13 hours ago, Gary david said:

If we go back say 60 years or so, werent the people closer than they are today? Even in church there was such profound reverence and respect in all areas. Something bad happened in that short period of time. Im not sure what its not good.

What do you think? God bless....

60 years ago priests were molesting children and bishops were covering up for them and moving them on to the next parish to do it all over again.I hardly think that social media is the greatest evil there can be. I think it is easy to look back at the past with nostalgia and forget the evils that existed then. 

Social media is a tool and that can be used for good or evil, just as people can act in good or evil ways.

I think your right. You made me stop and think. At the time i was young and recalling the church and parishoners as being more reverant than today never thinking that there was any of these things going on. I suppose if i knew then what i know today i wouldnt have said what i said. Not really sure what to say anymore. You know i have heard many people complain about the catholic church in all areas, from the pope, church dogma, priests, parishoners and on and on. I also recall my response and my thinking. I would say, i dont go to church for the priest or its parishoners, i go for Jesus, thats what its all about. Anything else is a distraction from giving glory to Jesus. Thats why i have always went to church, no other reason. And it will the same today as well regardless of whats going on.

Well thank you for your reply. God bless......

My thoughts are that Jesus is the primary reason I am Catholic and my Faith and trust is in Him.  I have been trying to get things into some sort of perspective and my thinking is that human relationships are important and have value and meant by God to do so.  Therefore my relationship with hierarchy and those around me of any rank whatsoever is important.

I would dearly love to put my Faith and trust in Jesus and just walk away from all the implications of this dreadful crisis.  But I am thinking that I am not meant to do this?  A little more thought and there is not much if anything I can do in a practical sense?  I am thinking too that I need to accept that situation unless it changes?

More questions than answers :blush:

Your right. Thats why i feel it important to speak openly about this and put our honest feelings and thoughts on the table. And yes God does work through people. Our prayers go out to Him and He hears them and answers them according to His will. There really is so much to be done about this. But there are things to be done in a most positive way. Trust in Jesus, pray to Him, forgivness, listenening and helping others especially in these matters and remembering that we are all sinners. Aside from these i cannot at this time think of anything else right now, but certainly a good start.

May God bless you and all that you do.....good nite and have a blessed day tomorrow.

Edited by Gary david
Typo again

1 hour ago, Gary david said:

But there are things to be done in a most positive way. Trust in Jesus, pray to Him, forgivness, listenening and helping others especially in these matters and remembering that we are all sinners.

Thank you and well said :winner: