An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters of life

possiblesista

possiblesista

Hello, I am new to phatmass. I love the sisters of life has anyone discerned with them. I am scared to contact them.

Thanks!!

Possiblesista, have no fear! Jesus is with you. I love the Sisters of Life. They are a vibrant congregation doing amazing things in the world. One of their Sisters, Sr. Elizabeth Ann, based in Washington, D.C., helped bring me to the Catholic Church! She is so wonderful and down to earth, and after having met a few other Sisters I feel very confident they are all very friendly and human. 

I believe Sr. Bethany Madonna is in charge of vocations. I found a vocational inquiry form you can fill out on their website (maybe you've found it too), which could make things easier for you. http://www.sistersoflife.org/vocations/vocational-inquiry-form

Also I encourage you to watch Sr. Faustina Maria Pia's vocational video on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn1yFZl1nZs

You will never know how the Lord might change your life if you don't have courage to take the first step!  Read Luke 11:9 and then go for it! Seriously. 

One other note: I don't mean to advocate being hasty or impulsive, which my reply may have suggested. Of course you will want to prayerfully discern about contacting the Sisters of Life. Also, it may be good to reflect on why you feel afraid to make an initial contact. Is it that you feel they won't respond positively? That you won't meet their qualifications? You may want to spend time in prayer considering why you are afraid and ask for Jesus' and the Blessed Mother's help. And you might want to consult a priest you trust to talk through your discernment, if you haven't already done so.

But even with fear, I would still encourage you to be brave. Remember the disciples Jesus called - they responded immediately, with no hesitation (See for example Mark 1:16-20). The disciples were not prepared or equipped for ministry; they had no particular special educational background or skills, but they did seem to have abundant trust!

For myself, I was petrified about contacting the community of Poor Clares I'm discerning with now. I almost couldn't call them and leave a message! Then the Reverend Mother Abbess called me back and I was shaking as I picked up the phone. But as we talked, I felt very calm and at peace, and I am so glad I took the initial step to call the monastery. That was a year ago, and I am hoping to make my first overnight visit at the monastery after Easter. You never know where one little step will lead you!

Best wishes, PossibleSista! I will keep you in prayer.

Hi. May I ask what it means (to be discerning with?). I know what discerning means, I just havent heard it spoken like that. Just trying to learn, thats all. Hope you dont mind.

God bless.....

possiblesista
1 hour ago, Gary david said:

Hi. May I ask what it means (to be discerning with?). I know what discerning means, I just havent heard it spoken like that. Just trying to learn, thats all. Hope you dont mind.

God bless.....                       

I just mean has anyone contacted them or been on their discernment retreats.

I am only 16,but I have been thinking about religious life for a while. My parents are unsupportive so I am partially afraid about that. I am also really awkward when I am talking to nuns and I don't know what too say. I saw on CMSWR they have an email,so I might use that because I hate the idea of calling them.

I have seen them mentioned quite a lot on Phatmass so you could probably findsome old threads. Sending an e-mail is a good idea initially if you don't feel you want to ring up.  And thry will probably send you information about their order. You are still quite young to make any sort of decision but no harm in making enquiries. 

I can understand your nerves and will pray for you.  The SoL is a  lovely order, we know them well. Our daughter contacted them at the start of her sophomore year in college and during the conversation she learned that they begin discerning with girls when they are toward the end of their college years. Most of the girls have graduated from college and have worked for a while before entering. That best prepares them for the life that they will lead as sisters of life.   Our daughter ended up entering another active order. 

There are many discernment retreats around the country.  It can be  scary to reach out, but remember that  they have been in your shoes exactly and understand completely what you’re going through. They have been praying for you and will understand your nerves.   By attending, you aren’t committing to that particular religious order. These retreats can be a wonderful experiences. Here’s a link to help you find one in your area

https://religiouslife.com/retreats/discernment-retreats/women-s-vocation-retreats

Edited by andibc

Sister Leticia

Hello and welcome

I think it's best to start by emailing. Less anxiety about presenting yourself, and about phoning at the wrong moment. You don't need to share the entire contents of your soul in this email, as it's just a preliminary contact - rather like meeting someone for the first time. 

According to their vocational enquiry form, though, women who come to their Come & See weekends are usually at least 18, and those who enter are mostly 21+ - so you will definitely need to take things slowly. So focus on your life now, on your studies, any activities or hobbies and your relationships - with God, but also with your family and friends.

And as you're still only 16 I can well understand why your parents are unsupportive - they'd probably feel the same way if you were talking about getting engaged, however lovely the young man might be! 

Gary David - when people say they're "discerning with" a congregation this should mean they're in a process with them, committed to discerning whether this is where God is calling them to. The emphasis here is "with", as it's a two-way process, and the discerner has entered into some sort of preliminary relationship with the order via its VD (as opposed to reading about the order, or meeting some sisters at an event or having been to school with them etc)

Hope that helps!

Thank you. Im glad i asked because I now understand its meaning. I am now just a teeny bit smarter. Haaaahaha. Yeh right.

Thank you again. God bless......

I was not going to respond to this post because i really dont know about anything about the sisters of life to comment on them. But, I have had much experience with growing up with nuns. They taught me from kindergarden to eighth grade. They are beautiful souls and kind and loving teachers and have left me nothing but fond memories and certainly no fearful memories. I guess what im trying to say is that especially with them there is no need to fear. 

Just thought i would mention this. May God bless your journey...........

The nuns who taught me were wonderful religious too.  I was sure blest in them.

The nun who taught me said that Hell will do anything at all to prevent vocations to Holy Orders, religious and consecrated life.  One of the things Hell will resort to is to strive to induce fear for any reason Hell can latch on to.

I am 73 years of age and not discerning religious life.  You are still very young and I agree that your age might be the reason your parents have objections.  My advice would be re your parents to not speak about it unless they ask and then be honest with them.  Many a vocation has started out at 16 years or even younger.  However, nowadays most religious orders would ask that you be much older, but no reason why you could not make contact with the Sisters of Life explaining that you feel called, but realise that you are too young to enter just now - that you would nevertheless like to be in contact and ask any questions etc. you might have.

God's richest blessings on you and your discerning journey.  May The Lord quieten all and any fears you might have and grant you Peace in your discerning.    I do think that reticence and fear re contacting a religious order for discernment purposes just might be fairly common.  Rest assured, @possiblesista that I do not think you are alone.  When I was discerning religious life when much younger, I was terrified that I was not good enough and would be turned away immediately.  (I was not turned away and entered, later I chose to leave).  You have something very special and that is an attraction to religious life at a young age.

15 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

According to their vocational enquiry form, though, women who come to their Come & See weekends are usually at least 18, and those who enter are mostly 21+ - so you will definitely need to take things slowly. So focus on your life now, on your studies, any activities or hobbies and your relationships - with God, but also with your family and friends.

:like2:

• 2 weeks later...
possiblesista

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the advice! Has anyone been on one of their Villa Maria Guadeloupe retreats? It says on their website that you have to be 18 to go on a come and see,is this true? Thanks again and God bless you all.

Hna.Caridad

I can't imagine that the Sisters of Life would lie on their website (i.e. say that the minimum age is 18, when it really isn't).  If you have questions about their age requirements, it would be better (and an indication of maturity) if you would contact them directly, rather than asking random people on the internet for second- (or third- or fourth-) hand information.

You'd mentioned earlier that you're 16, which is quite young.  Right now, your vocation is to be a single teenager and (probably) a high school/secondary school student. Try to do that to the best of your ability. Maybe look into getting a job at a local restaurant or store as well--you'll learn responsibility and communication skills, as well as gain self-confidence.  As you become more independent, you'll have more freedom (both within in yourself and from your parents) in which to seriously discern a religious vocation.

Blessings on the journey!

Kayte Postle

Hi @possiblesista, first welcome to phatmass and many prayers for you in your discernment. 

Like others have stated its great you are listening to Gods call in your life at such a young age. However the SoL website is correct about the age for their retreats and they stick to that. Their age minimum for entrance  is 21, and I believe they require a college degree. You’ll have to double check with the community directly, but that was the requirement when I had a friend discerning with them about a year ago. 

I wouldn’t worry too much on finding the right community yet. I’d focus on just enjoying being a single high school student, and always working towards a deeper relationship with Jesus. Pretty much every community  requires a high school degree, and often some colleg or work experience after high school. You’ve got time, there’s no need to rush. Again just enjoy your single living for now. 

Though I do not know the Sisters of Life (I've heard of them, of course), I'm sure you have nothing to fear in contacting them - and email may be easier. Though you aren't old enough to enter, they may have suggestions that can benefit your prayer life, reading, direction, and the like.

I don't know your parents, either, but I'd be very cautious about anyone's making a major life decision at 16. (Yes, many have - I can remember when I knew religious who had entered at 16, or who were aspirants, living in community earlier - and some of my friends married at 17... but I don't think it is generally wise. I know happily married couples, perhaps celebrating golden anniversaries, who already were going together at your age... but it seldom would work to have had the actual wedding until much later.) Your calling to religious life won't be lost if you enter at 22. IIRC, many of the Sisters of Life are precisely able to help those whom they serve because the Sisters have advanced degrees (expertise in areas that can be critical) and professional experience. Perhaps you have areas in which  you are especially good academically, and which even may contribute to your service later. 

Edited by gloriana35

PossibleSista, in another thread you have said that you are not a Catholic, but hoping to become one when you turn eighteen.

This puts your question here in a very different light. I think you should still contact the Sisters of Life, but you need to explain to them that you are a non-Catholic Christian who hopes to become a Catholic, and who might be called to religious life. They will pray for you. They are likely to offer you a lot of valuable support and advice. But they will probably also tell you that now is definitely not the time to be thinking about discernment retreats, now is the time to be learning about the Catholic faith and putting it into daily practice.

I know women who realised they were meant to become nuns before they even became Catholics, so it isn't unheard of, but you do need to be patient and not to try and put the cart before the horse. ;) First be a Catholic, then be a sister.

God bless you.