An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters of life

possiblesista

possiblesista

I am planning to email them sometime soon. I have no idea what to say to them or how to start the email. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

"Hello, my name is X, I am beginning to think I may have a calling to religious life, and what little I know about your community interests me.  I'd like to know more.  Can you help me?"

If you get a reply, then you might begin a correspondence in which you tell them more about yourself.  It doesn't have to be complicated, or all-encompassing, especially at the outset.  I'm sure they get many inquiries about the community.

notyouraverageturkey

Just send a brief email introducing yourself and explaining where you are in the discernment process. At least that’s always been my move! 

I contacted the Sisters of Life a few months ago and Sr Faustina Maria Pia got back to me within a week or two. She is very sweet and easy to talk to! I’m sure you will also feel quite comfortable with her as well (: 

Sister Leticia

Bearing in mind that you are still only 16 (ie 5 years younger than the lowest entry age as per their website), and you're not yet a Catholic, or in a Catholic environment, your initial email really should include this information. That way their VD will know the most helpful way to respond to you according to your circumstances.

I very much agree with St Leticia. I know I wrote an earlier response, but I had not realised you were not yet Catholic. I clicked the link to their questionnaire out of interest (not in entering! :) I'm an elderly lady, whose vowed life has spanned over 40 years), and very much liked how they mentioned that they recommended that converts be Roman Catholic for 3 years before application - precisely because they added that this was to have the strength of sacramental life for that period. 

A convert I knew (who had been a minister in the Dutch Reformed Church) later became a Catholic priest. When he first converted to Catholicism, he had all sorts of ideas  - being a Trappist, going to Africa, entering a monastery. It's not unusual to have conflicting ideas when one first converts. 

possiblesista

Hi all,thanks again for your replies. I just emailed the Sisters of Life a few days ago and I am anxiously waiting. How long do think it will take them to reply back? God bless you!

10 hours ago, possiblesista said:

Hi all,thanks again for your replies. I just emailed the Sisters of Life a few days ago and I am anxiously waiting. How long do think it will take them to reply back? God bless you!

As someone involved with music at my parish, music planning and prep for Holy Week is taking up ALL of my spare time. I imagine a religious community has it way worse than I do, it’s simply the busiest time of year hands down - not to mention the retreat from contact mentioned by Bonkira. So don’t be surprised - or worried - if you don’t get a response until some time after Easter. :)

Edited by chrysostom

possiblesista

I just got an email from Sister Ann Imaculee, I  am so so so excited! But here comes the hard part. I have to tell her I'm not Catholic. Any advice on how to do that? Thank you all so much for your prayers and advice.

Just be up-front about it. Something like that needs to be told plainly. That is the best way.

For example:

"Thanks for responding, Sister _____! Before anything else I want to let you know that I am not Catholic. I was raised by my parents as a _____. It's a long story! I hope to be received into the Catholic Church ______ from now."

Bless you! I'm a convert myself. Being home in the Catholic Church is the best thing in the world.

Edited by chrysostom

I agree with Chrysosthom. Particularly since you are well below their age limit for entrance, you would (I gather) be a Catholic for at least 3 years before you could apply. Don't be embarrassed that you forgot to mention this in your first email. (Many Religious, including some who  later were canonised, were not life-long Catholics.)