An Old School Catholic Message Board

Canberra ACT - Archbishop refuses to allow breaking the seal

BarbTherese

fides' Jack
5 hours ago, Gary david said:

Faith is not about knowing everything or doing everything right. It is about knowing that, no matter what happens, our Father will take care of us. That trust in Him, even when life is terrifying and sad and makes no sense, is what makes a believer like a child. “All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away” (John 6:37). God loves His children.

"Faith is the virtue by which we firmly believe all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because God has revealed them."  (So you're right, it's not about knowing everything or doing everything right, it's about belief - do I believe what the Church teaches?)  

"Hope is the virtue by which we firmly trust that God will, in His mercy, give us eternal happiness and the means to obtain it."  (This speaks to what you're talking about - so it's not about faith, it's really about hope)

"Charity is the virtue by which we love God above all things for His own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God."  If anything, I would say the virtue of love has more to do with doing what's right, and also what drives us to know more about God.  Love is the most important of the 3 theological virtues, and is what leads to faith and hope.  

What do we have to do to go to heaven?  We have to "know, love, and serve God in this world".  Trust (hope) is important, but it stems from faith and love, and if you want to go to heaven, is less important than faith and love.  "He who does not believe will be condemned" (Mark 16:16).

What else do we really have without complete trust in God? We either choose God or man.

God bless.....

fides' Jack

That is an aspect of living as a Catholic - complete trust in God (which doesn't mean we have complete trust that ourselves and all our loved ones will go to heaven).  Choosing God means a whole lot more than having complete trust in God, though.  And it's important not to fall into the common protestant heresy where for them complete trust in God literally translates into the false doctrine of faith alone.  There's a lot outside of trust that we have to do, and say, and believe, and adhere to.

Trust in God for me is not a general statement. Trust in God is trust in Jesus and all that He taught us. Trusting in God should be a living statement not hidden to others. It will be.displayed in all that we do and say. Its about faith through the good times and the difficult. There are no false doctrines if one in fact does trust.in Jesus in all matters. It is what Jesus expects of us. He has shown us what a loving God we have. I for myself need no more evidence of what I just stated. Well thats my opinion driven by my faith.

God bless you....