An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quotations that Motivate & Inspire

BarbTherese

3b2a37f09a009e01649231aff5306fcb.jpg

It is never what I am doing, it is the person I am when I am doing whatever I might be doing -  be it great or be it small, important or most humble and unimportant in the eyes of this world i.e. in human estimation.  United to Divine Providence i.e. God's Will, all is equal, great and important.  

It is nothing of mine, nothing of me

that is holy. 

It is God's Will, His Divine Providence that is holy.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

"In times of desolation, God conceals Himself from us

that we might discover for ourselves

what we are without Him"

St  Margaret of Cortona

Edited by BarbaraTherese

teresa_de_liseaux.jpg

“For me prayer is a surge of the heart,

it is a simple look towards Heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love,

embracing both trial and joy.”
-St. Therese of Lisieux

"What is it that is lacking in people nowadays and even in believers.  It is the Cross because in the Mystery of the Cross there is everything: there is faith, there is obedience, there is human pain, there is the way of Glory."

Blessed Dominic Lentini

"To suffer and to be happy although suffering, to have one's feet on the earth, to walk on the dirty and rough paths of this earth and yet to be enthroned with Christ at the Father's right hand, to laugh and cry with the children of this world and ceaselessly sing the praises of God with the choirs of angels - this is the life of the Christian until the morning of eternity breaks forth."

St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross
(Edith Stein)

In our fluctuations of feeling,

it is well to remember that Jesus admits no change in His affections;

your heart is not the compass Jesus sails by.
- Sam Rutherford

"It is impossible to love Christ without loving others in proportion as these others are moving towards Christ. And it is impossible to love others in a spirit of broad human communion without moving nearer to Christ."

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

31Wp5bKmrWL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

An excellent and important read is "Theology and Sanity" by Frank Sheed.  I am into my third read (over quite a few years) of this wonderful work.  Quoting from the back cover:

"Of Sheed's many books,this is my favourite not just because it is the clearest explanation of The Trinity ever put on paper,but because it proves that the Catholic view of reality can satisfy our mental hunger"

"Vatican II issued an urgent call for the laity to take a more active role in the life of The Church.  What should the life of the Christian believer be like? How are average lay Catholics called to help save the world? How does theology fall into the picture".

Pdf https://epdf.tips/theology-and-sanity.html

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Theology-Sanity-Frank-Sheed/dp/1684221005 - Paperback $13.75 - 420 Pages

Edit:  This book would just have to be a Catholic classic by now.

Gary david
20 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

31Wp5bKmrWL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

An excellent and important read is "Theology and Sanity" by Frank Sheed.  I am into my third read (over quite a few years) of this wonderful work.  Quoting from the back cover:

"Of Sheed's many books,this is my favourite not just because it is the clearest explanation of The Trinity ever put on paper,but because it proves that the Catholic view of reality can satisfy our mental hunger"

"Vatican II issued an urgent call for the laity to take a more active role in the life of The Church.  What should the life of the Christian believer be like? How are average lay Catholics called to help save the world? How does theology fall into the picture".

Pdf https://epdf.tips/theology-and-sanity.html

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Theology-Sanity-Frank-Sheed/dp/1684221005 - Paperback $13.75 - 420 Pages

Edit:  This book would just have to be a Catholic classic by now.

Thank you for taking the time to show these quotes Barbara, they surely havent gone unnoticed. God bless you....

38 minutes ago, Gary david said:

Thank you for taking the time to show these quotes Barbara, they surely havent gone unnoticed. God bless you....

Thank you very much, Gary, for the encouragement."Everyday keep encouraging one another" Hebrews Ch 10 and the Introduction to The Divine Office. Thank you too for acknowledging each of the posts.  I value this.  I value your input and consideration of others. I value you.

May God bless you also.

I am long winded in reply, Gary, for which I apologise - and not at all unusual for me to "preach to the converted".  My posts help me to clarify my own thinking.

I go over to Catholic Answers now and then and see I have received a  'nice share pin' (CA term) for some link I have posted being accessed more than 25 times by outside visitors/ lurkers.  We can never know why or who might read a post, nor how many might be reading.  We are a public forum and it is an avenue for evangelisation.........especially for me at 73 and disabled sitting on my rear very often at my computer.  It is a real consolation to know that I can still at least try to do some good after a very active younger lifestyle.  Once I can afford some materials, I am looking forward to going back to some painting as a diversion from technology.  I am certainly no artist, but I do like to paint.  I like the feel and smell of paint.

There might be few of us just now active in the forums, but we have no idea at all how many are non members and reading posts.  No idea how much good we might be doing without knowing it.

A whole next door family of five children and parents were baptised and converted to Catholicism when I was around 12 yrs of age, somewhere around then.  They were curious about where I went almost every weekday at around 6.30am or so and asked my mother about it.  I used to ride my bike to Mass back pre V2 when morning weekday Mass was 7am or so.  Mass was in the Chapel of The Daughters of Charity and so the family contacted them to find out about Catholicism. 

We can never know often - and at all times and everywhere we are evangelists and evangelising - consciously or not, successful or not.  It is intention and motivation, effort, that The Lord considers - success or failure is His Domain alone whether we succeed or fail.  Succeed or fail is a worldly measure.  United to Jesus through Grace, we are always succeeding at all times, whether we know it or not, through Divine Providence.  Jesus is Success - and why we we have the Victory of The Cross which appears to the worldly as failure and St Paul calls it a "stumbling block" . (Doctrine of Divine Providence - as in the CCC and EWTN explains it nicely http://www.ewtn.com/faith/Teachings/GODB3.HTM ).  To read about Divine Providence in the Catholic Catechism, go to http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p4.htm  Scroll down to:

V. GOD CARRIES OUT HIS PLAN: DIVINE PROVIDENCE

Any good we might have done, or undone, will be known to us perhaps only in Heaven.

Edit:  St Paul calls The Blood of The Cross "a stumbling block to many".  For us, it is the Victory of Jesus over this world and the forces of Hell -  His Victory is confirmed by His Resurrection.

An excellent and important read (not all that long) from the Catholic Catechism on the Life of Jesus and the meaning for us at the various stages of His Life: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p122a3p3.htm

Excerpts: 533 The hidden life at Nazareth allows everyone to enter into fellowship with Jesus by the most ordinary events of daily life:

The home of Nazareth is the school where we begin to understand the life of Jesus - the school of the Gospel. First, then, a lesson of silence. May esteem for silence, that admirable and indispensable condition of mind, revive in us. . . A lesson on family life. May Nazareth teach us what family life is, its communion of love, its austere and simple beauty, and its sacred and inviolable character. . . A lesson of work. Nazareth, home of the "Carpenter's Son", in you I would choose to understand and proclaim the severe and redeeming law of human work. . . To conclude, I want to greet all the workers of the world, holding up to them their great pattern their brother who is God.225

534 The finding of Jesus in the temple is the only event that breaks the silence of the Gospels about the hidden years of Jesus.226 Here Jesus lets us catch a glimpse of the mystery of his total consecration to a mission that flows from his divine sonship: "Did you not know that I must be about my Father's work?"227 Mary and Joseph did not understand these words, but they accepted them in faith. Mary "kept all these things in her heart" during the years Jesus remained hidden in the silence of an ordinary life.

Gary david
18 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Thank you very much, Gary, for the encouragement."Everyday keep encouraging one another" Hebrews Ch 10 and the Introduction to The Divine Office. Thank you too for acknowledging each of the posts.  I value this.  I value your input and consideration of others. I value you.

May God bless you also.

I am long winded in reply, Gary, for which I apologise - and not at all unusual for me to "preach to the converted".  My posts help me to clarify my own thinking.

I go over to Catholic Answers now and then and see I have received a  'nice share pin' (CA term) for some link I have posted being accessed more than 25 times by outside visitors/ lurkers.  We can never know why or who might read a post, nor how many might be reading.  We are a public forum and it is an avenue for evangelisation.........especially for me at 73 and disabled sitting on my rear very often at my computer.  It is a real consolation to know that I can still at least try to do some good after a very active younger lifestyle.  Once I can afford some materials, I am looking forward to going back to some painting as a diversion from technology.  I am certainly no artist, but I do like to paint.  I like the feel and smell of paint.

There might be few of us just now active in the forums, but we have no idea at all how many are non members and reading posts.  No idea how much good we might be doing without knowing it.

A whole next door family of five children and parents were baptised and converted to Catholicism when I was around 12 yrs of age, somewhere around then.  They were curious about where I went almost every weekday at around 6.30am or so and asked my mother about it.  I used to ride my bike to Mass back pre V2 when morning weekday Mass was 7am or so.  Mass was in the Chapel of The Daughters of Charity and so the family contacted them to find out about Catholicism. 

We can never know often - and at all times and everywhere we are evangelists and evangelising - consciously or not, successful or not.  It is intention and motivation, effort, that The Lord considers - success or failure is His Domain alone whether we succeed or fail.  Succeed or fail is a worldly measure.  United to Jesus through Grace, we are always succeeding at all times, whether we know it or not, through Divine Providence.  Jesus is Success - and why we we have the Victory of The Cross which appears to the worldly as failure and St Paul calls it a "stumbling block" . (Doctrine of Divine Providence - as in the CCC and EWTN explains it nicely http://www.ewtn.com/faith/Teachings/GODB3.HTM ).  To read about Divine Providence in the Catholic Catechism, go to http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p4.htm  Scroll down to:

V. GOD CARRIES OUT HIS PLAN: DIVINE PROVIDENCE

Any good we might have done, or undone, will be known to us perhaps only in Heaven.

Barbara! You are not long winded. Long winded to me is going on and on without  much value to ones words. It is just as important to speak as it is to listen. And the the things you say make much sense. You speak with your faith as well as live it and I appreciate that. So again Barbara, thank you and may God continue to bless you.........