An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quotations that Motivate & Inspire

BarbTherese

Gary david
20 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

rotfl

I hope it won't come to the above...........Hope that is!...............but then one can only play the cards one is dealt..............and.......

94d094fb63f9310d7bbc224def495200.png

Yes Barbara, your right. I was looking at that picture and thought I would like to be there and realized that it would probably be to hot with nothing to eat or drink! Hhhaaha. So I wait for God to put me where He needs me to be instead.

God bless Barbara, I bope you are doing well.

6 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

though_he_were.jpg

Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum

Amen to these words Barbara, amen.

1 hour ago, Gary david said:

Yes Barbara, your right. I was looking at that picture and thought I would like to be there and realized that it would probably be to hot with nothing to eat or drink! Hhhaaha. So I wait for God to put me where He needs me to be instead.

God bless Barbara, I bope you are doing well.

Amen to these words Barbara, amen.

Yeah, I am cruising along again after a bit of a rough patch for a while.  I hope you are doing well also.  Right now, you are where God needs you to be.  In the state of Grace we always are. 

The only act of disobedience to God's Will is sin and to some degree or other sin separates us from God.  Only mortal sin separates us completely from God.  The Good Lord and His Will is not like I can be i.e. my way or the highway.  God's Will embraces us with a Love and Mercy, a broadness allowing for choice and free will -even our weaknesses and venial failures, that astounds me as, indeed, the Ultimate Mystery that God is always does.

There I go, preaching to the converted again, Gary.:rolleyes:  But I will finish it anyway since the subject has come up.

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, 9 nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, 10 nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."  (Romans Ch8)

Jean Pierre de Caussade: "The Sacrament of the Present Moment"   Available on Amazon for under $10.00: https://www.amazon.com/Sacrament-Present-Moment-Jean-Pierre-Caussade/dp/0060618116

Edited by BarbaraTherese

a2e3398dfd6596e05a965240cac84b77.jpg

MORTAL SIN

AND

THE SACRAMENT OF RECONCILIATION

http://www.beginningcatholic.com/sacrament-of-reconciliation

"God could with perfect justice allow our past merits to remain forever lost even when he forgives our sins. But in his infinite goodness he does not make us start all over again from scratch."

"The sacrament of Reconciliation not only forgives our mortal sins; it also restores to us the merits which we had so willfully cast away.”

Excerpts:  “First of all, if a person has cut himself off from God by a grave and deliberate act of disobedience against God (that is, by mortal sin), the sacrament of Reconciliation reunites the soul to God; sanctifying grace is restored to the soul.

At the same time, the sin itself (or sins) is forgiven. Just as darkness disappears from a room when the light is turned on, so too must sin disappear from the soul with the coming of sanctifying grace.

When received without any mortal sin on the soul, the sacrament of Reconciliation imparts to the soul an increase in sanctifying grace. This means that there is a deepening and strengthening of that divine-life-shared by which the soul is united to God.

And always, any venial sins which the penitent may have committed and for which he is truly sorry are forgiven. These are the lesser and more common sins which do not cut us off from God but still hinder, like clouds across the sun, the full flow of his grace to the soul.”

“Still another effect of the sacrament of Reconciliation is that it restores to us the merits of our past good works if these have been lost by mortal sin.

As we know, every good work that we perform in the state of grace and with the intention of doing it out of love for God is a meritorious work. It entitles us to an increase of grace in this life and an increase of glory in heaven. Even the simplest actions—kind words spoken, thoughtful deeds performed—have this effect, not to mention prayers said, Masses offered, sacraments received.

However, mortal sin wipes out this accumulated merit, much as a man might lose his life savings by one reckless gamble."

Gary david
17 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Yeah, I am cruising along again after a bit of a rough patch for a while.  I hope you are doing well also.  Right now, you are where God needs you to be.  In the state of Grace we always are. 

The only act of disobedience to God's Will is sin and to some degree or other sin separates us from God.  Only mortal sin separates us completely from God.  The Good Lord and His Will is not like I can be i.e. my way or the highway.  God's Will embraces us with a Love and Mercy, a broadness allowing for choice and free will -even our weaknesses and venial failures, that astounds me as, indeed, the Ultimate Mystery that God is always does.

There I go, preaching to the converted again, Gary.:rolleyes:  But I will finish it anyway since the subject has come up.

Jean Pierre de Caussade: "The Sacrament of the Present Moment"   Available on Amazon for under $10.00: https://www.amazon.com/Sacrament-Present-Moment-Jean-Pierre-Caussade/dp/0060618116

Hi Barbara! Yes you are cruising along rather well and I am happy to see this, when I dont then there I fear is something wrong. I like fr. Mike, I have watched him several times before and is a very spirited, sincere and interesting speaker who adds interest with his humor. A true spokesman of God.

You have mentioned before about preaching to the converted and speaking for myself I dont see anything in the things you quote and write as preaching but only in the light of learning. I think that for many that are converted they may think they know all that they should know and there is a danger for anyone to think like that. I was thinking today about the death candle. I never did hear that before and puts another perspective on the awareness of living life as a last moment. See! If you hadent posted this I wouldnt have learned it.

Thank you Barbara, for seeking, finding and preaching.......haaaaha, I mean and sharing.......God bless....

Hi Gary - Bipolar Disorder is something I find scary.  I can have a feeling like walking in an unlit park at night with a stalker following me.  During times of stress and bipolar restlessness, it is as if I can feel an episode lurking in the background of my mind knowing that anything might trip and trigger an actual episode.  Probably bipolar will affect my life to some degree or  other for the rest of my life.  While it can scare me, I know I am in Good Hands - bipolar is a blessing wearing very strange garments to that with which we probably normally think of as blessings.  At the actual time, however, rarely if that can I get past downright scared. :)   I can only get things into perspective once bipolar settles down once more.  This is what I mean too by the astounding all embracing broadness of God's Love and Will - He knows my attitude, even when I cannot bring it in to consciousness once again and walk the talk.  To me, this is one of those times when The Holy Spirit prays for me what I am unable at the time to pray.  Although at the time, I am unable to know it.

" In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit" (Romans Ch8)

"All is well.  All is well and all manner of things will be well" (Julian of Norwich)

Fr Mike is indeed a gifted speaker.  He can put complex matters quite simply and  I do like watching his videos, almost as much as "Everyone Loves Raymond"  :hehe2:.........oh and "Doc Martin" too.

Preaching, stating, sharing, posting etc. - life is all attitude and perspective in all things.  To think one knows all there is to know will soon be pulled up by learning something new.  And if not, so be it.  We are all in Safe Hands in Grace, despite our weaknesses, faults and venial failings.......despite at times what might be downright silly thinking.

The Deposit of Faith is the body of saving truth entrusted by Christ to the Apostles and handed on by them to be preserved and proclaimed. Jesus ordered them to teach the nations "everything I have commanded you" and assured them "know that I am with you always, until the end of the world." (Mt 28:18-20).  The metaphor of a "deposit" suggests that this teaching is an inexhaustible treasure, that rewards reflection and study with new insights and deeper penetration into the mystery of the divine economy of salvation [God's plan for saving mankind]http://www.catholicfaithandreason.org/the-deposit-of-faith-and-the-holy-spirit-of-god.html

God bless you also

By way of something of an introduction, Doc Martin is a GP who is afraid of blood.

We never know how much real faith we have until it is put to the test in some fierce storm; and that is the reason why the Saviour is on board. If you are ever to be strong in the Lord and the power of His might, your strength will be born in some storm.

- Anonymous

One of the elders said: It is not because evil thoughts come to us that we are condemned, but only because we make use of the evil thoughts. It can happen that from these thoughts we suffer shipwreck, but it can also happen that because of them we may be crowned.

- from The Wisdom of the Desert, by Thomas Merton

pray_the_rosary2.jpg?w=636Just at the moment, I am maintaining formal type daily prayer by praying 2 decades of The Rosary morning prayer.  1 decade afternoon prayer and the final 2 as evening prayer.  

ForMePrayerIsABurst.jpg

slide3_22.jpg

Gary david

Good morning Barbara!

giphy.gif

I really liked that quote saying that prayer is nothing more than being friends with God. It is uncomplicated and straight to the point. I liken that to a heartfelt handshake or hug. Like a true friendship here on earth, if it is real it cannot be denied of it's value. The truer and deeper the friendship is the more evident it will be. The most prized and certainly rare freindship is when one lays their life down for the other, similar to what Jesus has done for us. So I like that quote and for this reason. God knows the sincerity of our hearts.

It is good to know that you are praying the rosary Barbara, I know your prayers will be heard and assisted by our blessed mother. We need all the help we can get.

I hope your day is well and may God bless you Barbara.....

Good morning Barbara!

giphy.gif

I really liked that quote saying that prayer is nothing more than being friends with God. It is uncomplicated and straight to the point. I liken that to a heartfelt handshake or hug. Like a true friendship here on earth, if it is real it cannot be denied of it's value. The truer and deeper the friendship is the more evident it will be. The most prized and certainly rare freindship is when one lays their life down for the other, similar to what Jesus has done for us. So I like that quote and for this reason. God knows the sincerity of our hearts.

It is good to know that you are praying the rosary Barbara, I know your prayers will be heard and assisted by our blessed mother. We need all the help we can get.

I hope your day is well and may God bless you Barbara.....

Joy and Peace wherever you might be in your day, Gary.  Have a good one..........10.40pm here and I am about to switch off and head for bed............

I loved that adorable image of the puppy! 

Thank you for sharing all the above.  I was particularly moved by "The most prized and certainly rare friendship is when one lays their life down for the other, similar to what Jesus has done for us"  I have been watching the series "Chernobyl".  While I do not know how true to life it might be, the sheer magnitude of what happened in Chernobyl in reality tells me that many workers did indeed lay down their lives for others, their brothers and sisters - comrades.  It was a terrible event and surely must have asked great courage and bravery.  The Holy Spirit blows wherever He May.  And gold is always wherever it is found.  Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum.

I like too what Therese and Teresa said about prayer.  It boils it all down to its basic essence, what it is essentially.  Once these basics are in place which flow from and originate in prayer, all else will flow from the basics and then back to them........warm friendship and spontaneity with Jesus.

I have had great devotion to Our Lady all my conscious life.  My Dad taught me to pray to her from my earliest recollections.  I have her on a huge pedestal as the very essence of femininity and womanhood, faithful and loving wife and mother .  I was musing one day with a Carmelite prioress pal of mine why I only turn in a very focused way to Our Lady when desperate.  She replied "Oh Our Lady knows you would not bother her unnecessarily".  That says more about my Carmelite pal than me for sure.  Another thing that illustrated her gentleness of thought was when I was telling her about my dreaded task of pulling out weeds.  She said "You mean the uninvited guests in our gardens".  She is a gem.

God knows the sincerity of our hearts

Yep, win or lose was never The Lord's focus and His Domain anyway - it is always our sincerity of heart in all things.

"The wind 4 blows where it wills, and you can hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes; so it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit." (John Chapter 8)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Gary david

Thank you Barbara for extending peace and joy to me. Yes, Chernoble was a terrible accident. Many suffered and still do from it's radioactive causing cancer. We never know what may happen in the next moment. It is so very good that you keep our blessed mother on a pedestal. She deserves boh a pedestal of wood and of faith, the second I'm sure she preffers most. There is no doubt this bring smiles to Jesus. And that Carmalite prioress sounds like she has deep unwavering faith. Isint comforting to hear and speak with someone like that? They have the God given ability through their faith to increase our own. She really must be a gem indeed.

Alright Barbara, I hope you rested well and everything is ok. God bless.....

Thank you, Gary - My Carmelite prioress is one of the greatest gifts God has ever given me.  I met her when she was still Sister and it must be around 40 years ago now.  I have learnt so much from her and yes, through her unwavering Faith mine too has been strengthened.  We have been through a lot and seen many changes.  She was a faithful and consistent support through my very ill years no matter the circumstances.

220px-Peter_Paul_Rubens_-_St_Augustine.J

Nothing, therefore, happens unless the Omnipotent wills it to happen: God either permits it to happen, or He brings it about Himself.
- St. Augustine

Gary david
25 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Thank you, Gary - My Carmelite prioress is one of the greatest gifts God has ever given me.  I met her when she was still Sister and it must be around 40 years ago now.  I have learnt so much from her and yes, through her unwavering Faith mine too has been strengthened.  We have been through a lot and seen many changes.  She was a faithful and consistent support through my very ill years no matter the circumstances.

220px-Peter_Paul_Rubens_-_St_Augustine.J

Nothing, therefore, happens unless the Omnipotent wills it to happen: God either permits it to happen, or He brings it about Himself.
- St. Augustine

Hi Barbara. You are fortunate to have someone like this in your life, truely a blessing from God. 

I am not sure whether or not this is of interest to you or not but I have a link to Medgjegorie. It is for prayer intentions. You write your intentions here and they are presented before our blessed mother when she appears each month and then they are burned. I just thought that you may find this of value or maybe not. I would have always liked to visit Medgjegorie but never could, so I at times will send a prayer request and it gives me a  very good feeling that it is presented before our blessed mother. It's the only way I can get there Barbara:(. So this is the link if you wish to do this.......God bless.....

https://www.medjugorje.ws/en/apparitions/docs-prayer-intentions/

Edited by Gary david

June-25_Persevere.jpg

Thank you very much for the link, Gary.  I do prefer to wait until The Church gives approval to Medjugorje.    From the very little I do know of Medjugorje, approval may not be far away.  I was very much attracted to Faustina when her diary was suspect (picked up a small pamphlet on her& her diary in Church foyer) but did not follow through on my attraction until the diary was cleared and later her beatification and canonization. 

Your love of Our Lady shines and I think she rewards you with consolation when you present petitions to Medjugorje.  I do hope The Church will approve her appearances and messages - so many have great faith in them.  I hope too that somehow you will get to visit the site.  May Our Lady shower you with many consolations.  

I had a quick look at your link and there is a lot of information on the website.  I will be having a closer look and read.  From what I did see, there is a very strong call to prayer.

Thank you for sharing

Immaculate-Heart-of-Mary.jpg

Edited by BarbaraTherese

saint-faustina-kowalska-b.jpg

Diary of St Faustina excerpt: “‘I am love and Mercy Itself.  There is no misery that could be a match for My mercy, neither will misery exhaust it, because as it is being granted – it increases.  The soul that trusts in My mercy is most fortunate, because I Myself take care of it.’” (1273, page 459)

Prayer of St Faustina

To Be Merciful

"O Lord. I want to be completely transformed into Your mercy and to be Your living reflection. May the greatest of all divine attributes, that of Your unfathomable mercy, pass through my heart and soul to my neighbor.

Help me, O Lord, that my eyes may be merciful, so that I may never suspect or judge from appearances, but look for what is beautiful in my neighbors’ souls and come to their rescue.
Help me, O Lord, that my ears may be merciful, so that I may give heed to my neighbors’ needs and not be indifferent to their pains and moanings.
Help me, O Lord, that my tongue may be merciful, so that I should never speak negatively of my neighbor, but have a word of comfort and forgiveness for all.
Help me, O Lord, that my hands may be merciful and filled with good deeds, so that I may do only good to my neighbors and take upon myself the more difficult and toilsome tasks.
Help me, O Lord, that my feet may be merciful, so that I may hurry to assist my neighbor, overcoming my own fatigue and weariness (...)
Help me, O Lord, that my heart may be merciful so that I myself may feel all the sufferings of my neighbor. (...)May Your mercy, O Lord, rest upon me" (Diary # 163).

quote-pure-love-knows-that-only-one-thin