An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quotations that Motivate & Inspire

BarbTherese

Gary david
12 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

To be like Christ.  This is our goal, plain and simple.

It sounds like a peaceful, relaxing, easy objective. But stop and think. He learned obedience by the things he suffered.  So must we.

It is neither easy nor quick nor natural. It is impossible in the flesh, slow in coming, and supernatural in scope. 

Only Christ can accomplish it within us.

http://www.shalomplace.com/seed/

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cf63a644251684149

The 98 year old Mother Superior from Ireland was dying. The nuns gathered around her bed trying to make her last journey comfortable. They gave her some warm milk to drink but she refused. Then one of the nuns took the glass back to the kitchen. Remembering a bottle of Irish whiskey received as a gift the previous Christmas, she opened and poured a generous amount into the warm milk. Back at Mother Superior's bed, she held the glass to her lips. Mother drank a little, then a little more and before they knew it, she had drunk the whole glass down to the last drop. "Mother," the nuns asked with earnest, "please give us some wisdom before you die." 

She raised herself up in bed and with a pious look on her face said, "Don't sell that cow.

You got me Barbara! This morning I read your statement about Jesus learning obedience through suffering and then saw that man which I thought was crying and then began reading the story about Mother Supererior on her death bed thinking this was all true and serious only to find out this was a joke...haaaaahaaaa. A good ending afterall. That was a very very funny one Barbara. It was a good clean healthy joke and I did laugh well. It's good to start the day with a smile. God bless Barbara...

78c5c019d576f8fe1cce5d3b75a0bdb7.gif

Thank you, Gary.  I did intend that there be two separate posts, but the posts were published as the one post.  I hit SEND too early.   I am glad you liked the Mother Superior joke, I liked it too.  Most of the good clean jokes I come across on the web, I have heard before - but not this one.

It is good indeed to be able to start the day with a smile. :) 

“The will of God is not a fate which has to be endured, but a holy and meaningful act which ushers in a new creation.”

-Romano Guardini

Untitled-design-768x405.jpg

My comment:  The above two quotes illustrate, as many do, that life is all about attitude and perspective.

"Despite our earnest efforts, we couldn't climb all the way up to God. So what did God do? In an amazing act of condescension, on Good Friday, God climbed down to us, became one with us. The story of divine condescension begins on Christmas and ends on Good Friday. We thought, if there is to be business between us and God, we must somehow get up to God.

Then God came down, down to the level of the cross, all the way down to the depths of hell."

- William H. Willimon, Thank God It's Friday: Entering the Seven Last Words of the Cross

My comment: I would like to recommend the following as a great read, even an important read.  I found it heavy wading at times only.  It was recommended to me by a Carmelite Prioress and is available on Kindle:

41hbCjIW58L._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Humility-God-Franciscan-Perspective/dp/0867166754

About the author: "ILIA DELIO, O.S.F., is a Franciscan sister. She is associate professor of ecclesiastical history and director of spirituality studies at the Washington Theological Union in Washington, D.C. She is the author of Franciscan Prayer (St. Anthony Messenger Press), Crucified Love: Bonaventure’s Mysticism of the Crucified Christ (Franciscan Press) and Simply Bonaventure: An Introduction to his Life: Thought and Writings (New City Press)."

"I am very grateful that Ilia Delio who I imagine to be a terrific teacher as well as scholar spends her "free" time writing books such as this.
Her understanding and expression of the "Mystery" of the Trinity is as good as it gets! " Incarnation," says Delio, "is about God's involved goodness in creation" and as she says in the book's introduction, " The humility of God is really about God's relationship to the world and God's fidelity to the world, even when everything in the world seems to fail."
Mary Ann Fischer

HEADER_18.jpg?itok=b_ug5gle

I had to laugh when I heard the following:

"The only happiness in this world,

is the happiness you assume the other person is having"

From Foxtel series "Flack"

15 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

HEADER_18.jpg?itok=b_ug5gle

I had to laugh when I heard the following:

"The only happiness in this world,

is the happiness you assume the other person is having"

From Foxtel series "Flack"

I found the above enlightening and a variation on "the grass is greener on the other side".  I can only assume that the grass is greener on the other side by what appears to be so.   I can indeed judge by appearances and most times, it is only appearances I have to go by and therein the folly.

Hence, I am hoping and praying the next time I start to think that the grass is greener over there, I will realize I can only judge by what appears  to be over there ..........and therefore can only assume......and therein the very real potential folly.

Gary david
On 6/6/2019 at 10:21 PM, BarbaraTherese said:

I found the above enlightening and a variation on "the grass is greener on the other side".  I can only assume that the grass is greener on the other side by what appears to be so.   I can indeed judge by appearances and most times, it is only appearances I have to go by and therein the folly.

Hence, I am hoping and praying the next time I start to think that the grass is greener over there, I will realize I can only judge by what appears  to be over there ..........and therefore can only assume......and therein the very real potential folly.

I guess it's the same reason we shouldn't seek a smaller cross, right Barbara.

God bless...

15 minutes ago, Gary david said:

I guess it's the same reason we shouldn't seek a smaller cross, right Barbara.

God bless...

I agree, Gary.  To accept lovingly what is since it is God's Will for the now.  Although it is only now and then that I just might get there. :rolleyes:  That is not a failure of Grace always present -  rather a very personal failure also most always present.

God bless you also wherever you might be in your day.

"There are many who want me to tell them of secret ways of becoming perfect and I can only tell them that the sole secret is a hearty love of God, and the only way of attaining that love is by loving. You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying, to run by running, to work by working; and just so you learn to love God and man by loving. Begin as a mere apprentice and the very power of love will lead you on to become a master of theart."

- Francis de Sales

Receive every day as a resurrection from death, as a new enjoyment of life; meet every rising sun with such sentiments of God’s goodness, as if you had seen it, and all things, new-created upon your account: and under the sense of so great ablessing, let your joyful heart praise and magnify so good and glorious a Creator.

- William Law

Saint Teresa of Avila (1515-1582)
Carmelite, Doctor of the Church
Way of Perfection, 17 (©ICS publications)

"Lord, what about him?" ... "What concern is it of yours? You follow me."

God doesn't lead all by one path, and perhaps the one who thinks she is walking along a very lowly path is in fact higher in the eyes of the Lord. So, not because all in this house practice prayer must all be contemplatives; that's impossible. And it would be very distressing for the one who isn't a contemplative if she didn't understand this truth...

I spent fourteen years never being able to practice meditation without reading. There will be many persons of this sort, and others who will be unable to meditate even with the reading but able only to pray vocally, and in this vocal prayer they will spend most of their time... There are a number of other persons of this kind. If humility is present, I don't believe they will be any the worse off in the end but will be very much the equals of those who receive many delights; and in a way they will be more secure, for we do not know if the delights are from God or from the devil...

Those who do not receive these delights walk with humility, suspecting that this lack is their own fault, always concerned about making progress. They don't see anyone shed a tear without thinking that if they themselves don't shed any they are very far behind in the service of God. And perhaps they are much more advanced, for tears, even though they be good, are not all perfect. In humility, mortification, detachment, and the other virtues there is always greater security. There is nothing to fear; don't be afraid that you will fail to reach the perfection of those who are very contemplative.

(from: DailyGospel.org.  Subscription is on link https://dailygospel.org/AM/gospel)

Gary david
37 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Saint Teresa of Avila (1515-1582)
Carmelite, Doctor of the Church
Way of Perfection, 17 (©ICS publications)

"Lord, what about him?" ... "What concern is it of yours? You follow me."

"Lord what about him" and Jesus replied "what concern is it of yours? You follow Me". Isn't so true that when we mind another's business we immediately lessen ourselves and stop tending to our own. A great many don't seem to understand this for whatever the reasons. How could you follow Jesus when your looking behind. You don't build much character minding another's. It's the same with gossip and many other things. Just keep our noses to the grindstone and do the best that we can without concerning ourselves with another's position in life. 

Does this sound correct Barbara? Gd bless you....

6 minutes ago, Gary david said:

"Lord what about him" and Jesus replied "what concern is it of yours? You follow Me". Isn't so true that when we mind another's business we immediately lessen ourselves and stop tending to our own. A great many don't seem to understand this for whatever the reasons. How could you follow Jesus when your looking behind. You don't build much character minding another's. It's the same with gossip and many other things. Just keep our noses to the grindstone and do the best that we can without concerning ourselves with another's position in life. 

Does this sound correct Barbara? Gd bless you....

And also Barbara you win the prize for laughter with that last one to post haaahaaa that was very good......still smiling even. God bless.

29 minutes ago, Gary david said:

And also Barbara you win the prize for laughter with that last one to post haaahaaa that was very good......still smiling even. God bless.

I thought yours was the winner:winner:, Gary - the baby being fed (as below).  I had a jolly good laugh at it.  It makes for a good meditation too.

giphy.gif

quote-holiness-does-not-consist-in-not-m

51mdD0FkHDL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

CHN-g7pWsAAtgOp.jpg