An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quotations that Motivate & Inspire

BarbTherese

10 hours ago, Gary david said:

tumblr_p5939kLlxN1usd91ao1_500.gif

May the Lord's peace find you and be with you.

God bless you Barbara...Gary

And also with you, Gary -His Blessings on your journey.

The picture you posted looks just like my little Buddie. :) 

john-of-the-cross.jpg 

"Love consists not in feeling great things but in having great detachment and in suffering for the Beloved.”

St John of the Cross

BbKorBQt_400x400.jpg

TRINITY SUNDAY

Glory be to The Father

and to The Son

and to The Holy Spirit

as it was in the beginning, is now

and ever will be.

Amen

D6Ec2OUXoAEnnKp.jpg

Saint Teresa of Avila (1515-1582)
Carmelite, Doctor of the Church
Relations, 33

“Three persons, eternal in glory, one God, infinite in majesty”

God gave me to see clearly the truth of the most Holy Trinity. It is just as learned theologians told me, but I did not understand it as I do now... What I have seen is this: three distinct Persons, each one visible and who speaks and to whom we can speak. Afterwards I thought how the Son alone took human flesh, which shows clearly that  the three Persons are distinct. The Persons love each other, communicate and know each other. But, if each one is distinct, how can we say that the three are one essence? For this is what we believe. This is deepest  truth, and I would die for it a thousand times. In these three Persons there is but one will and one power and one might; neither can one be without the others. There is one sole Creator of all created things. Could the Son create an ant without the Father? No, because their power is one. The same is to be said of the Holy Spirit.

Thus, there is one God Almighty, and the three Persons are one majesty. Is it possible to love the Father without loving the Son and the Holy Spirit? No, for those who please one of the three Persons please all three Persons, and those who offend one offend all. Can the Father exist without the Son and without the Holy Spirit? No, for they are one in being, and where one is, there are the three; they cannot be divided.

How is it, then, that we see that the three Persons are distinct? And how is it that the Son, not the Father, nor the Holy Spirit, took human flesh? This is what I have never understood; theologians know it. What I know is that the three were there when that marvellous work was done. I do not busy myself with much thinking about this; all my thinking comes down to this: God is almighty, that he has done what he would do, and can do what he wills. The less I understand it, the more I believe it, and the greater the devotion it excites in me. May he be blessed for ever! Amen.

Saint-Teresa-of-Avila-Quotes-5.jpg

13 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

That was fun to watch Barbara. Life doesent get more innocent and cuter than this does it? Nice choice Barbara.

I also have this but it is not cute like yours, not compared to monkeys and coccanuts haahaa but does contain a life's lesson for us all. God bless Barbara...

Edited by Gary david

Hi Gary - The coconut and the monkey:lol3:.........and letting go..........reminds me of what I posted a couple of days ago from St John of The Cross with yours in the vernacular.

Have a good day ........... God's Blessings on your journey

2 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Hi Gary - The coconut and the monkey:lol3:.........and letting go..........reminds me of what I posted a couple of days ago from St John of The Cross with yours in the vernacular.

Have a good day ........... God's Blessings on your journey

Hi again Gary -  I think it very important that we can get The Gospel (which in essence the saints reflect) into the vernacular - into ordinary everyday speech that ordinary people can understand in their ordinary everyday lives - this is what Jesus did in His parables.  To date, my experience is that our priests in the main can be quite good at doing this in homilies just as your video of the monkey and the coconut did in explaining detachment in terms easily understood.

With many of our saints, the language they used would have been easily understood in their own environment and their times.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Half-the-world%E2%80%99s-starving-the-ot

Half the world is starving; the other half is on a diet.

We are not privileged because we deserve to be.

Privilege accepted should be responsibility accepted.

- Madeleine L'Engle

0619-624x468.png

St Vincent de Paul Society

vinnies.jpg

"Every walk of life has its joys and sorrows; we have to drink both of them. Heaven suffers violence and we must renounce ourselves to follow Our Lord (VII:333)."

https://famvin.org/reflections/quote-of-the-day-june-19-2/

(My comment:  No matter one's call and vocation in life, The Lord will both send and allow sufficient to make great saints of every one of us)

doormat.jpg

"CHRISTIAN NOT A DOORMAT"

http://frwayneball.blogspot.com/2015/06/christian-not-doormat.html

Excerpt "We must love others, we must forgive in our hearts, but we must also hold one another accountable. If our brother or sister sins against us, it is not God's expectation that we simply smell of elderberries it up and tacitly condone the behavior. We too, by virtue of our baptism, are the beloved children.

As the master in today's gospel says "They will respect my son." We are to treat others with respect, we are to respect our own bodies and we have a right to be treated with respect by others, particularly our fellow Christians. How did Jesus respond to those who disrespected the temple? He did not say to the money changers, "I'd appreciate it if you would stop, but God loves you, so it's ok if you keep doing what you're doing"

We can and must do both: forgive in our hearts (harbor no anger or animosity) and set boundaries on behavior. We can and must at times even with those closest to us draw a line and say no more."

(My comment:  Anger is an emotion and is not intrinsically sinful, it is what we do with our emotions that introduces morality i.e. right or wrong.

We can want and desire to let go of anger (an act of the will) but the feeling of anger (an emotion or passion) usually will not disappear instantly with the desire for it to disappear, we need to give the emotion of anger time to cool down.  Very often we do not choose our emotions, they simply are, they simply well up in us unbidden - and therefore are amoral and are not an act of our will.  Our desire to overcome a feeling of anger is a choice of the will and it is a good, while the anger itself may need time to cool down completely or dissipate.

Sin per se must involve an act of the will.  An emotion or passion is rarely an act of the will and once given time for that emotion or passion to settle down and dissipate, then we will have a feeling of felt forgiveness.  However, forgiveness actually occured when we desired that our anger cool and dissipate, which was an act of our will.  Sometimes one might be called to act on anger in serious type situations and this decision becomes an act of the will informed by the virtue of wisdom and discernment)

0621-624x468.png