Jump to content
BarbaraTherese

Quotations that Motivate & Inspire

Recommended Posts

BarbaraTherese
2 hours ago, Gary david said:

Barbara! You are not long winded. Long winded to me is going on and on without  much value to ones words It is just as important to speak as it is to listen.. And the the things you say make much sense. You speak with your faith as well as live it and I appreciate that. So again Barbara, thank you and may God continue to bless you.........

Thank you, Garry, for your sincere kindness.  My admiration is for those who can say so much in few words - it's not me for sure.  I try to walk the talk and rather often it is a stumbling and falling sort of walk.  But as I stated in my post, The Good Lord looks at intention and motivation in weighing things up as He does and will at Judgement.  Success or failure is His Domain alone and for His Own Good Reasons.  That is a real consolation and motivation to just keep on going and trying, beating a weary well worn path to repentance and starting out again once more.

Where there is failure, God has permitted it for His Own Good Reasons.  Where there is success, it is God's Work for His Own Good Reasons.  Hence in failure and in success it is God's Work  for His Own Good Reasons always.  Failure and success is a worldly consideration, in Faith we see only the Loving Hand of God in all things regardless - because "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose'(Romans 8). 

Even Faith itself, even a strong and rich Faith, can be a stumbling and falling sort of road.  When times get difficult for very many reasons in our world, when times get cruel, inhuman and anger provoking, Faith can be a quite difficult walk and The Good Lord knows this.  Seeing The Loving Hand of God in all things is no easy road.  The Good Lord knows this.  He knows our humanity intimately, in Heaven in His Glory He is still very much human as well as Our Triune God.  What a Mystery!

May God continue to bless you also, Garry, you are an important factor in Phatmass membership in my book.....I value you........and I do love your humour.

Quote

It is just as important to speak as it is to listen

Very well said, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gary david
5 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Thank you, Garry, for your sincere kindness.  My admiration is for those who can say so much in few words - it's not me for sure.  I try to walk the talk and rather often it is a stumbling and falling sort of walk.  But as I stated in my post, The Good Lord looks at intention and motivation in weighing things up as He does and will at Judgement.  Success or failure is His Domain alone and for His Own Good Reasons.  That is a real consolation and motivation to just keep on going and trying, beating a weary well worn path to repentance and starting out again once more.

Where there is failure, God has permitted it for His Own Good Reasons.  Where there is success, it is God's Work for His Own Good Reasons.  Hence in failure and in success it is God's Work  for His Own Good Reasons always.  Failure and success is a worldly consideration, in Faith we see only the Loving Hand of God in all things regardless - because "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose'(Romans 8). 

Even Faith itself, even a strong and rich Faith, can be a stumbling and falling sort of road.  When times get difficult for very many reasons in our world, when times get cruel, inhuman and anger provoking, Faith can be a quite difficult walk and The Good Lord knows this.  Seeing The Loving Hand of God in all things is no easy road.  The Good Lord knows this.  He knows our humanity intimately, in Heaven in His Glory He is still very much human as well as Our Triune God.  What a Mystery!

May God continue to bless you also, Garry, you are an important factor in Phatmass membership in my book.....I value you........and I do love your humour.

Very well said, thank you.

Our God is our example. Jesus suffered and died for us. I cannot compare Jesus to you or I, thats not possible. But as Jesus made His way to the cross suffering as He did, He fell and more than once and recieved help as well. We also suffer and through His grace manage to get up. He didnt want to suffer so and even asked His Father to take that cup from Him. His Father did not take His cup and instead  Jesus continued to be obedient to Him. Where would we be if He hadnt obeyed? And so we as well suffer and also must remain obedient to Him and for the very same reasons. What possible other way is there to prove ones love and faith if they posses it? People may say many things of love and faith but these are simply words if not tested. This is simply the way God has created it to be and so it is. We must not seek a smaller cross to carry, we may already have a smaller cross and could be so much larger.

  Well Barbara I hope you are well and I wish you well and am asking God to bless you as well..........

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarbaraTherese

Laughter is a jolly good medicine............

One of the funniest I Love Raymond episodes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gary david
7 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Laughter is a jolly good medicine............

One of the funniest I Love Raymond episodes:

 

I just watched that episode and it was very funny Barbara! Thanks for the smiles:hehe2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarbaraTherese
15 hours ago, Gary david said:

Our God is our example. Jesus suffered and died for us. I cannot compare Jesus to you or I, thats not possible. But as Jesus made His way to the cross suffering as He did, He fell and more than once and recieved help as well. We also suffer and through His grace manage to get up. He didnt want to suffer so and even asked His Father to take that cup from Him. His Father did not take His cup and instead  Jesus continued to be obedient to Him. Where would we be if He hadnt obeyed? And so we as well suffer and also must remain obedient to Him and for the very same reasons. What possible other way is there to prove ones love and faith if they posses it? People may say many things of love and faith but these are simply words if not tested. This is simply the way God has created it to be and so it is. We must not seek a smaller cross to carry, we may already have a smaller cross and could be so much larger.

  Well Barbara I hope you are well and I wish you well and am asking God to bless you as well..........

  

Profound and insightful post, Garry - thank you very much for sharing your reflections :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarbaraTherese

product_thumbnail.php?productId=23681535

"Lift up your heart to Him, sometimes even at your meals, and when you are in company; the least little remembrance will always be acceptable to Him. You need not cry very loud..........

...........He is nearer to us than we are aware of."

 

… Brother Lawrence  CARMELITE OCD(c.1605-1691)

A spiritual classic of some renown:  "The Practice of the Presence of God"

Free online at : https://www.ccel.org/ccel/lawrence/practice.html

248952.jpg

ST THERESE OF LISIEUX

SPIRITUALITY OF IMPERFECTION

Finding Strength in Weakness

(By:  Carmelite Sister Vilma Seelaus, O.C.D."

"Two contrasting images of Thérèse situate what I call her "Spirituality of Imperfection." After her death, those who knew Thérèse recast her into expected images of sanctity. In the testimony from the process of beatification, her sister Pauline says of Thérèse "As long as I knew her, the only part of her that touched the ground was the soles of her feet".

Thérèse however offers us a truer image of herself."

Part 1   http://showcase.netins.net/web/solitude/vilma5.html

Part 2   http://showcase.netins.net/web/solitude/vilma5b.html

 

"Fortunately, she discovered early in life that neither her recorded acts of virtue, nor her burning zeal in practicing spiritual exercises, nor her profound experiences and reverential tears after communions-- not even the smile of the Virgin-- none of these help her in overcoming even the least of her faults. The more she tries, the greater and more depressing are her failures and her entanglement in scruples. During the time of her scruples, every thought and even her most commonplace actions became a source of worry and anxiety. Her extreme helplessness meant either despair or finding a new way in the struggle to balance her own weakness before the justice of God."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarbaraTherese

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2ygnbVCZk-BB-CgAo-Yq

MARY: THE PERFECT DISCIPLE

https://osvnews.com/2017/02/01/mary-the-perfect-disciple/

Mark Shea February 1, 2017http://www.ncregister.com/blog/mark-shea

 

" And every single one of us is vitally needed to fulfill the mission of the Church.

It’s all hands on deck."

 

Quote

 

Excerpts:...........“Mary is present in the Church as the Mother of Christ, and at the same time as that Mother whom Christ, in the mystery of the Redemption, gave to humanity in the person of the Apostle John. Thus, in her new motherhood in the Spirit, Mary embraces each and every one in the Church, and embraces each and every one through the Church. In this sense Mary, Mother of the Church, is also the Church’s model. Indeed, as Paul VI hopes and asks, the Church must draw ‘from the Virgin Mother of God the most authentic form of perfect imitation of Christ.’”

— Pope St. John Paul II in Redemptoris Mater (“Mother of the Redeemer), No. 47"..........

..........."Those “other and greater powers” are something we as disciples need to meditate on, as we often afflict ourselves with a false picture of the Church called “clericalism.” Clericalism is the notion that only the ordained and religious are “real” Catholics. It is an idea the Church flatly rejects. All the baptized are members of the Body of Christ. That does not, of course, turn the Church into a populist democracy or a doctrinal free-for-all, but it does make clear that, in the words of Sherry Weddell, “If you are called, you are gifted; and if you are gifted, you have been called.”..................

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gary david
8 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2ygnbVCZk-BB-CgAo-Yq

MARY: THE PERFECT DISCIPLE

https://osvnews.com/2017/02/01/mary-the-perfect-disciple/

Mark Shea February 1, 2017http://www.ncregister.com/blog/mark-shea

 

" And every single one of us is vitally needed to fulfill the mission of the Church.

It’s all hands on deck."

 

 

 

Do you follow the happenings in Medjegorie Barbara?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarbaraTherese
13 hours ago, Gary david said:

Do you follow the happenings in Medjegorie Barbara?

I do not follow the happenings.  I think The Church is investigating but yet to formally approve, although I really am unsure since I do not follow Medjugorje.  I do particularly like the artistic image and statue of Our Lady of Medjugorje.  I bought one but sadly it got broken and it wasn't a cheap statue either.  It has particular meaning for me.

61A8Ar8q3LL._SY879_.jpg

 

 

The above is almost an exact replica of the statue I bought.  I just had a look at Arc Religious Supplies here in Australia where I bought mine, but seems they are no longer stocking it, or it might be just out of stock and might re-appear.  I might email and ask when funds look healthier.  I haven't thought about the statue for a long time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gary david
9 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

I do not follow the happenings.  I think The Church is investigating but yet to formally approve, although I really am unsure since I do not follow Medjugorje.  I do particularly like the artistic image and statue of Our Lady of Medjugorje.  I bought one but sadly it got broken and it wasn't a cheap statue either.  It has particular meaning for me.

61A8Ar8q3LL._SY879_.jpg

 

 

The above is almost an exact replica of the statue I bought.  I just had a look at Arc Religious Supplies here in Australia where I bought mine, but seems they are no longer stocking it, or it might be just out of stock and might re-appear.  I might email and ask when funds look healthier.  I haven't thought about the statue for a long time now.

Alright Babara. I was just curious how you felt.about it. But knowing you dont follow.Medgjegorie you really cant comment much about it. Do you feel that the blessed Mother is given power through her Son to show herself on earth to help people pray and to believe in Jesus. I ask you because I value your opinion and was  curious where you stand on this.

  God bless Barbara.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarbaraTherese
2 hours ago, Gary david said:

Alright Babara. I was just curious how you felt.about it. But knowing you dont follow.Medgjegorie you really cant comment much about it. Do you feel that the blessed Mother is given power through her Son to show herself on earth to help people pray and to believe in Jesus. I ask you because I value your opinion and was  curious where you stand on this.

  God bless Barbara.....

I very much believe Our Lady can and does make appearances and even speaks with people on earth and this has happened numerous times in our history.  Where such occurrences are claimed publicly, I do wait for Church approval and what The Church decides is what my decision is also, while we are not bound to do so..  I would have no idea how to discern real or suspect appearances etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarbaraTherese

I did very quick research on the Church's position now and found the following on Crux from 5 days ago on Medjugorje:

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-europe/2019/05/12/pope-okays-pilgrimage-to-medjugorje-says-apparitions-need-study/

It is becoming difficult sometimes to discern reliable Catholic sites from those that are unreliable.  Catholic Culture is no longer doing site reviews.  I did have a look at Our Lady's Warriors website and they do not mention Crux in their Dissent section.  I think it might be because of bias and we are all, no exceptions, biased.  A website can contain very suspect reporting as well as quite reliable and sound material.  When Catholic Culture was doing reviews, they would highlight this factor if present.  I have no idea why CC ceased the reviews.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gary david
37 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

I very much believe Our Lady can and does make appearances and even speaks with people on earth and this has happened numerous times in our history.  Where such occurrences are claimed publicly, I do wait for Church approval and what The Church decides is what my decision is also, while we are not bound to do so..  I would have no idea how to discern real or suspect appearances etc.

Thank you for your opinion Barbara. I have always held a fascination for the blessed virgin. So many people have so many differnent opinions about her from fervent belief to scoffing at her. I do believe in what she has said through the years. I do believe she prays for us. I beleive she has been allowed to be seen through the veil of heaven to help convert sinners and to also help us inctrease our prayers to help sinners as well. I am always amazed that God would send her like this to assist us in increasing our faith and helping us to simply beleive. This always will amaze me. Let know one say that God never tried to help us.

  In writing this I have recalled seeing something a few years ago. I am a glazier and work with glass. I worked at a glass  company around the corner of Mercy Hospital and did much glass work at this hospital. Now I was there and did work on one section and was very familiar with it. Then in the morning I heard on the news that the virgin mary has appeared in a window of mercy hospital. I myself at that time didnt believe it. Living right near this place and doing much work there made that news somewhat surreal. Well I went right down there and to by blessed wonder.....there she was. She wasent there before, I personally knew that. And she ramained for quite a while. She was beautiful!

  I just thought I would share my recall of my memory. I looked to see if I could find something about this event and to my surprise I found this.

 

  God bless Barbara....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarbaraTherese

What a wonderful experience for you, Gary, and for all the people who saw the window.  We do not need these appearances of Our Lady for the fullness and richness of Faith of necessity, but it must do something very positive to someone who has such an experience.  I wonder to myself "How could someone who saw an appearance of Our Lady go away and not be affected and for life?"

If I ever had such an experience, I think I would faint.

_____________

200.webp?cid=790b76115cde12ad32446c3473c

 

 My experience: I was staying with my cousins in a country town over school holidays as a teenager.  I think the whole town knew the family and that we were committed Catholics.  In those days, eating meat on Fridays was forbidden.  As a bit of fun on a Friday, we would go into  shops in the main street and buy some pies and pasties (contain meat).  Hoping to the shock horror of anyone in the shop.  Catholics buying meat on Friday!!! We would hide the pies and pasties in our bedrooms until after midnight on Friday and then congregate in one bedroom, there were five of us girls.  This was real risky stuff because my Uncle and their Dad was a particularly very strict and intimidating authority figure.  The very real risk of waking him and he confronting us added, I think, to our sense of adventure and risk taking.

One Friday after midnight one of my cousins wanted tomato sauce.  To creep into the kitchen and get the sauce was another dreadfully risky exercise.  But I volunteered to do it.  I entered the kitchen and there ahead of me was the Baby Jesus.  Horrified and ashamed of myself for being disobedient to a parental authority figure, I knelt down and closed my eyes and began to pray for forgiveness.  Next thing, one of my cousins shook me on the shoulder and asked what was going on.  I pointed to the Baby Jesus ahead of me. 

Now I should have worn my glasses, because the Baby Jesus was actually the gas refrigerator pilot light reflecting on the lino.

There was much muffled merriment that night at my expense......and for a while after that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...