An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mercy - Another Aspect of the Scandals?

BarbTherese

If one has fallen and fallen badly and experienced all the emotions that go with it, and then one is lifted out of the mire by the Love and Mercy of God, one has more sympathy, insight and empathy for others who make really bad mistakes.  One can share with them not from 'a book' but from hard experience what The Love and Mercy of God has to offer and just how all embracing it is.  The latter becomes a sharing, while sometimes the former can seem like a lecture.

Be that as it may, a person can receive the special gift of understanding etc. the all embracing Love and Mercy of God without any sort of bad failure.  We can see this over and over again with many of our saints.  St Faustina, for example struck me as a real innocent and yet her revelations from Jesus in connection with His Divine Mercy are amazing, stunning for such an innocent child like type of person.  Her Diary in many places never struck me as coming from her, rather truly from The Heart of Jesus.

I think the author of the article I posted has probably hit the nail on the head with the following:

"Something similar applies to us, the sexual abuse crisis may force us to be humble, compassionate and accountable in a way we would never have chosen. We have been taken down from the pedestal of virtue and power and freed to know shame and feel powerlessness. Instead of showing mercy, we need mercy. We cannot demand forgiveness and many survivors may never be able to forgive us. We are powerless and must accept that. However, having needed mercy we may be better able to show it."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Hi Barbara. I was just reading your comments here and your right about St. faustina. When I read her diary a few years ago I had noticed similar things. She also did suffer tremendously with interior suffering. I recall her suffering because of terrible thoughts that would come into her head (because of satins attacks I believe) along with a sense of urgency to confess them. I greatly enjoyed reading her diary and very often reflect on it.

And your right about mercy as well. If one has fallen and seeks mercy and recieves mercy with their heart then giving mercy becomes all understanding to them, for now they understand its true meaning because of the effect it has had on their soul. 

I suppose I wouldnt expect one to fully comprehend ones suffering unless they to have undergone the same suffering themselves.

And so it is. For having needed mercy, we may now better show it.

Nice comments Barbara. God bless you.....

Edited by Gary david
Added comment