An Old School Catholic Message Board

I feel this is so wrong

Gary david

Wow.  I’ve heard about this happening but it’s disturbing to see it on video.  I don’t know proper protocol but I would report this to his immediate superior, whoever that might be and then pray for him.  I’d also go looking for another parish if possible.

fides' Jack

A decade ago, this was very commonplace.  Then the Church removed the authority of priests to deny people communion when kneeling, and gave explicit permission for the laity everywhere in the Church to do so.

Before this happened, I would stand to receive, even begrudgingly, simply because I thought it was an act of obedience.  Even after the Church came out and said priests may not deny Communion solely for kneeling to receive, I continued to stand, because I thought it was an act of obedience (not being denied is not the same as having permission to do so).  Then another clarification document came out and explicitly said the lay faithful have the right to kneel to receive, and I've tried to do so since then.

I know someone who was denied communion in the hand, by the bishop of Bologna, Italy on Pentecost.

So it works both ways, depending on the priest and the location.

Edited by Luigi

cruciatacara

From what I observed they weren't denied communion on the tongue, they were just expected to stand for it. Since there are no longer communion rails where people can kneel and not obstruct others, this makes sense.When a person kneels now, they can impede others and slow up the line. 

This bishop decided that he wanted people to stand, whether they received on the tongue or in the hand. Respect for the bishop means people should have gone along with this.We also don't know if he gave instructions prior to communion, explaining this, so we shouldn't be judging something we don't know anything about except from a brief video clip. Standing can be just as respectful as kneeling because we do it many times throughout the Mass.

chrysostom

If the Vatican says you have the right to something, and the Bishop differs, does that mean you do not have the right to that thing? Not trying to be flippant btw.

4 hours ago, Luigi said:

I know someone who was denied communion in the hand, by the bishop of Bologna, Italy on Pentecost.

On the tongue is universally allowed, in the hand is a dispensation, though one made widely available - and subject to the bishop's own discretion, if I am not mistaken. Though I do not know the published norms of Bologna. I've seen the same at St Peter's, under both most recent popes.

fides' Jack

Standing is not just as respectful as kneeling, unless one is not capable of kneeling.  We stand at certain parts of the Mass because it is the appropriate posture.  Kneeling is done during the Consecration, specifically because it is more respectful than standing.  

It's sad that Communion rails have long disappeared.  I'm extremely thankful to our pastor who just put them into our sanctuary.  They're small, but you can fit a few people on them.  People still don't know how to use them, though...

11 hours ago, cruciatacara said:

we shouldn't be judging something we don't know anything about except from a brief video clip.

I agree with this.  That's what happened with the students at Covington.  

Rash judgement should always be avoided.

chrysostom
6 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

It's sad that Communion rails have long disappeared.  I'm extremely thankful to our pastor who just put them into our sanctuary.  They're small, but you can fit a few people on them.  People still don't know how to use them, though...

Slightly off topic, but my general impression is that it's impractical to have people both at the communion rail and also going up in a line. Either the priest is stationary or the people are. Hence why it's only really done one way or the other. But if someone wanted to kneel, but also did not want to hold up the line, or required the rail to assist kneeling, would it not be practicable to simply go to the rail and wait until the priest was done? Or do that but wait till near the end to do so? Have you ever seen that done? Anyways, just a random thought stewing. When you said "people still don't know how to use them" it made me wonder if you were referring to a case like that.

Gary david
On 5/2/2019 at 4:38 PM, Papist said:

Breaks my heart.  Who was taking the video?  

Well I dont know who took the video but before I posted it I checked the news for it being authentic and it was. I have seen examples of this myself and others have had similar experiences depending on where they were. I wasent meaning to say this was the case all the time or that this type of thing is getting out of hand because I dont know. What I do know is that video.really bothered me and is why I posted it. Doesent seem right at all for anyone regardless of whom they might be from being denied kneeling before God, never mind being denied recieving Him as well if you kneel. There was someone that had knelt to recieve communion and as he knelt the preist slapped his hand and gestured him to stand and so he did at great embarassment. Things such as these seem me not to have any place at all in any house of worship.

God bless.....

cruciatacara

Back to standing vs kneeling.When I traveled throughout Europe, I found many places where standing replaces kneeling during the Mass, including during the consecration. I still believe that reverence is in the heart so if someone stands instead of kneeling, then it is just as reverent. 

In very large masses, with many priests (such as at the Vatican), I have seen prie dieu set up throughout and people have a choice to line up for those to kneel or to stand in another line. I think too much is made of little things, and that helps to cause division in the Church.

Lilllabettt
On 5/3/2019 at 10:51 PM, cruciatacara said:

I think too much is made of little things, and that helps to cause division in the Church.

Too bad the bishop in the video does not agree with you, since he chose to make a scene over such a "little thing."

cruciatacara
6 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

Too bad the bishop in the video does not agree with you, since he chose to make a scene over such a "little thing."

She's at it again! Making this a very unpleasant place to be with snark. Out of this thread folks.