An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope accused of heresy

fides' Jack

fides' Jack
On 5/5/2019 at 2:47 PM, Lilllabettt said:

The Scalfari thing, was really bad.  The best explanation I saw was that the Pope is trying to save (the journalist's)  soul and doesnt think the nonsense he writes after, matters compared to that.  That was the best possible explanation I read. 

Possibly.  I would think the souls of everyone else impacted by the scandal it causes are more important, but I'm just a sinful Catholic, so what do I know...

Quick edit: As bad an explanation as it is, I agree it's better than any other I've heard.

Edited by fides' Jack

That Scalfari comment on the existence of hell... I would be interested in Pope Francis giving an explanation as to what he precisely meant and to hiw he places it in Church teachings....

I myself to a young person may reply 'there is no hell...' in terms of hell being fire and brimstone.  I would go on to say that hell is being denied dearific vision... in some way.  But taken out of context what would someone overhearing part of the conversation say?

In a sense and knowing more and more on Pope Francis... I agree with him that hell should NOT be a source of fear so much as it should be a legitimate warning for guidance purposes.

If you are to fear... fear the Lord and nothing else.  It is the start of wisdom.

Lilllabettt
1 hour ago, Didacus said:

That Scalfari comment on the existence of hell... I would be interested in Pope Francis giving an explanation as to what he precisely meant and to hiw he places it in Church teachings....

I myself to a young person may reply 'there is no hell...' in terms of hell being fire and brimstone.  I would go on to say that hell is being denied dearific vision... in some way.  But taken out of context what would someone overhearing part of the conversation say?

In a sense and knowing more and more on Pope Francis... I agree with him that hell should NOT be a source of fear so much as it should be a legitimate warning for guidance purposes.

If you are to fear... fear the Lord and nothing else.  It is the start of wisdom.

The problem is, he did interviews multiple times with this guy. Each time he would leave and go write something shocking about how the Pope told him he doesnt believe x, y, or z. Everytime, in the resulting hullabaloo, the Pope refused to outright deny he said those things. Hed send his spokesperson to say it was a "casual" conversation without notes. Then, he would invite the journalist back for another interview.  And repeat the cycle. Leaving average people wondering, if a journalist wildly misquotes you every time you have a private chat, why you would keep inviting him back for more private chats.

In the worst case scenario, it's the Pope using unofficial channels to get the word out he doesnt believe in certain teachings. In the best case scenario, hes trying to save the journalists soul and is naive /has poor judgment about the damage scandal can do. Either way.  not good. 

Ancilla Domini

Any chance I might be able to finally get my Phishy label removed after all the stuff that's gone down the past year? :rolleyes: Considering I was only marked phishy because I once implied that I didn't think cardinals were always completely perfect and knew what they were doing? Lookin at you, McCarrick.

• 3 weeks later...
fides' Jack
On 5/17/2019 at 1:41 PM, Lilllabettt said:

In the worst case scenario, it's the Pope using unofficial channels to get the word out he doesnt believe in certain teachings. In the best case scenario, hes trying to save the journalists soul and is naive /has poor judgment about the damage scandal can do. Either way.  not good. 

Precisely correct.