An Old School Catholic Message Board

Classes During Discernment

AbigailGermaine

AbigailGermaine

Hi guys! 

I know I haven't posted in forever,but I've been lurking... 

Anyway... My SD has suggested that while I wait I take a couple of liberal arts/Theology classes online somewhere. 

I looked around a little but, but had more trouble than either of us expected finding classes for undergrad level on those topics that we online and not horribly expensive. I don't object for paying for classes, but this farmer girl doesn't have $900+ to spend on only one class... If I was in it for a degree, I would apply for aid, but that seems like overkill for a couple of formation classes while I wait. Doesn't have to be Catholic, but at least Christian would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Holy Apostles Seminary has a lot of online courses.  They are in the $900 range but if you're taking at least 3 credit hours, you may qualify for some Pell Grants that may bring that price down quite a bit (or even pay the entire cost!).  The school can help you navigate that.  Be careful, though, that you don't accept a Pell Loan, or any loan for that matter.  Pay as you go.  Loans can be disastrous if you're looking into religious life.

Also, some colleges have posted their classes online, and you can access them, follow them, study them, etc. for free.  You will not, however, receive credit for them.  It's strictly for your own personal growth.  Hillsdale College, which has a good reputation, is currently signing up for "Introduction to Aristotle's Ethics: How to Lead a Good Life".  That would be a great Liberal Arts class to take!  They tell you what books you need and even give you quizzes.  A whole list of schools can be found HERE.  Don't just choose any of them, though.  Do your homework on the school or class before beginning.

There are lots of options out there, you just have to be proactive in finding them, which I guess is what you're doing by asking the question here.:)

Lilllabettt

Community college, or correspondence courses might be more affordable.  Or try Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC). Harvard, mit offer them for free. But, no credit. 

I agree with Lilllabettt - your local community college is your best bet. The tuition will probably be in the $75-$125 per credit hour range - maybe $300 for a 3-CH class, plus books.

They won't offer any theology classes, but you could take philosophy - seminarians study philosophy before they take up theology - or Western Civ which would teach you the grand sweep of history from Ancient Greece, through Rome, through the Middle Ages & Renaissance, in both of which the Church figures heavily. You could also take Comp I, Comp II, Creative Writing, Theater, Art History, or any number of other courses.  Talk to the college's advisor - s/he probably recommend foundational courses that are sure to transfer to other colleges.

Some course will available online, some will be in traditional classroom format.

NOTA BENE: Community College tuition is usually much reduced if you live within the community they serve - there are tax-based reasons for this. If you take an online course outside of your college's "community," you may pay a higher tuition rate.

AbigailGermaine

Thanks for the imput... See, I told him, "Father, the phorum people will have ideas!" :)

Edited by AbigailGermaine