An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Nuns and Nones"

Pax17

When they talk about dying out, they’re less concerned about making sure the institution survives and more about who’s going to inherit the charism, who’s going to keep doing this mission that’s been fueling them all these centuries,” Ms. Salgado said. “For the sisters, Nones and Nuns could be a vehicle for passing along their charism.”

Nuns are such wonderful creatures in the main with so much to offer the whole Church and all vocations and ways of living.  Instead of anxieties for what was and longing effort to bring the past back, they accept their "here and now", their "Sacrament of The Present Moment" HERE, with detached serenity and seek out where The Holy Spirit may be leading them with open minds and hearts and a Joyful Peacefulness to follow wherever He may lead.  This speaks to the fruitfulness of their way of life, their spirituality.

I just wanted to add that I do not mean that nuns and religious sisters too, brothers and priests included, do not feel their sadness and anxiety when there is massive change.   When their way of life no longer is a becoming of what 'they signed up for'.  Because I think they do feel it and deeply but many exhibit a detachment and an ability to live in the now and to go into the future wherever they may be led by The Holy Spirit with a tranquil type of spirit.  An intelligent spirit that can own whatever they might feel - while not led by those feelings.