An Old School Catholic Message Board

Passionists on Discernment

DameAgnes

• 2 weeks later...

Hello DameAgnes:  I recently read the 7 stages of discernment and found it very helpful.  I am a late discerner (middle aged).  I am interested in the Passionists, but am also interested in the Trappists.  Do you know if any communities in either order, or in another order with a similar type of charism (if that makes sense) that is TLM?

The Trappists sound totally amesome.  Are you in the USA. There is one convent  in  England I think and another in Ireland. Their websites are well worth looking at even for information about the Cistercian way of life. Hope your discernment goes well and you find the right order for you.

Edited by GraceUk
Typing error

Sister Leticia

GraceUK: 

There is a community of Cistercian nuns in Whitland, which is in Wales, and another in Glencairn in Ireland. 

In England there are two communities of Bernardine Cistercians - Hyning and Brownshill.

There are still a lot of orders that do not offer the TLM.  As far as I know, the Cistercians and Passionists are among them.   You may find it hard to discern with a community with the TLM.  There are not a lot of them, and as a result, many of them are choosy because they can be.  Unfortunately, this often means older discerners have a hard time finding a place and often have to accept a NO community.  I know some that have done this and are at peace with their decision, though it was certainly hard to make.

OneHeart - are you looking for a male or female community?

St Cecilias Abbey in Ryde, UK is Benedictine (not Trappist). They live a pretty traditional religious life. I don't know if they are strictly TLM, I do know that they use plenty of Latin and gregorian chant in their liturgy. Might be worth a look:

https://www.stceciliasabbey.org.uk/

Should add that I don't know where they sit on older discerners. My impression is that European orders tend to be more flexible with age limits, but YMMV. 

Thanks all. Btw I'm a woman looking for female communities. Yes I think TLM communities can be more picky. I'm just looking for a way to be a penitent.