An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Directors

pax

I've been hearing people talk about spiritual directors for a long time now. My question is how do I get one? I should probably look for a priest because I'm discerning a call to the priesthood, but I feel bad taking up all a priest's time.

Also, for those of you who have directors, how often do you meet and what do you talk about?

Thanks

daugher-of-Mary

Since no one else answered, I'll give it a shot.

I meet with my director 1-2 times a month. He is a priest and brother at a monastery near me. A monastery would be a good place to look because the priests and brothers don't have parish duties. Don't rush into it, but look for someone you trust COMPLETELY. That is so important because a good director is truly a spiritual "father" who guides your soul. While it isn't necessary to have a priest for direction, I don't think I could do it any other way. Sometimes my meeting for direction is spent entirely under the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and that has been a great blessing. What do we talk about? Spiritual struggles, prayer life, vocation, etc...the aim is to grow continually closer to the Heart of Christ in holiness. I hope very much that you do find a spiritual director. Direction is a TREMENDOUS gift!! :D

Guest Nicci

I too hear people talk about spirtual direction all the time. I've been looking trying to find someone, but i have a really hard time actually opening up to people.

I feel I would be greatly helped by a spiritual director, but don't really know how to find one.

voiciblanche

I'm in the same boat as Sly. It was reccomended to me in my first month at PM to get a spiritual director, but I really don't know how to go about getting one. I don't personally know any priests, and all the priests at my parish are indescribably busy already, anyway. I have a few people in mind, but none of them are priests.

God Conquers

It does not have to be a priest, but one is recommended for serious discernment.

I've never heard of paying a spiritual director.... but... I guess they deserve it?

Someone who is wiser and who you feel demonstrates a much deeper relationship with Christ, one which you seek to emulate, is usually a good spiritual director choice.

God Conquers,

First, good to see you back!

Second, when a lay person engages in Spiritual Direction, many do ask for payment as it is kind of like counselling. I don't care for the practice myself, but it is fairly common.

peace...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ+

My Youth Minister is kind of my Spiritual director... but I usually pour everything out in e-mails cause I'm not a face to face conversationalist... She helps a lot and is the spiritual director for a friend of mine who is a Sister now... She's down to earth and she goes through so much being our Youth Minister, she's almost seen/heard it all! And she has 3 teenage boys who are "stupid", I guess you can say... Her youngest, her daughter, is a little "angel", but that's because she is a girl... lol

I am trying to read this book on Spiritual Direction by the Jesuits... It's a boreing book and I haven't gotten very far in it, but do find some one you trust and can spill EVERYTHING to... A lot of my friends I could talk with, but most of them wouldn't understand much anyway... I feel distant from everyone because I feel so close to Christ, but when I come here to phatmass, I find SO MANY people who are in the same boat that I'm in, or in an even higher level! oops! It's 3 o' clock! Time to seep myself in the Passion!

God Bless and Mary Protect...
Yours in the Most Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

FutureNunJMJ +

-JMJ-

I would highly advise finding a priest or a member of the clergy to be really close with and just spill your spiritual journey out to and seek guidance. I find quite often that it doesnt nesscairly have to have the title of Spirutal director although i think for someone who is very serious about their spiritual direction or is at a major crossroad in their life a formal arrangement would be more appropriate.

i would definately say that if you are seriously discerning the priesthood that you should have a priest as your spiritual director since he is experienced in this area. Most any parish priest would be delighted to help you out it this way. Personally, i am discerning the priesthood. My parish priest is the buisiest guy i know and God bless his soul he makes time for me. In fact, my priest approached me to ask me if he could be my spiritual director. My guess would be that your parish priest would love to help you in your discernment of the priesthood in any way that he can.

Fides_et_Ratio

Ditto to what many others have already stated.

My spiritual director was/is my parish priest (he left last Sunday for Rome to study to for a degree in Canon Law... I'll miss him! :sadder: ). He was a VERY busy guy, but always made time for me (probably because he knew I needed it!)

I met with him around every 2 weeks or so, sometimes more, sometimes less.. it always depends on where you are/how you are doing in your life.

We talked about EVERYTHING. So, it's important that you find someone that you can trust completely... we talked about my struggles, fears, ideas-- [b]anything and everything[/b] that affected my life and how I was trying to find God. Spiritual direction works best when you are completely open with your director, because then he can gain a better understanding of who you are and where you should be heading.

For me, though my spiritual director is leaving, we will still keep in touch through letters... and I'll be in Europe for almost 4 months for school, and he promised to visit me occasionally. Personally, I still have a lot to work through and a LOT of other issues, so my spiritual director is really going over the top by continuing to keep tabs on me. I will probably find another "confessor" in the States whom I can talk with when I am back from Europe to lessen the burden on my spiritual director. I was truly blessed and lucky to have found such a dedicated priest to help me along.

Just trust that God will take care of you in your search.