An Old School Catholic Message Board

Image And Likeness Of God

Luke2219

I know that we are made in the image and likeness of God. But what is the difference between the image of God, and the likeness of God?

cmotherofpirl

THat is an excellent question.

Genesis 1:26 THen God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...

THe likeness between God and man is not a physical one, for God has no body: it is a spiritual likeness, lying in the human being's capacity for interiority.

"man is not decieved when he regards himself as superior to bodily things and more than just a speck of nature or a nameless unit in the city of man. When he is drawn to think about his real self, he turns to those deep recesses of his being where God who probes the heart awaits him, and where he decides his own destiny in the sight of God."(SVII)

This personal "I" means he can have a relationship with God.

Even after the fall, man is still in the image of God, though sin however, he lost his likeness, but this was restored through Christs redemption.

cmotherofpirl

THat is an excellent question.

This is from the Bible notes on this verse.

Genesis 1:26 THen God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...

THe likeness between God and man is not a physical one, for God has no body: it is a spiritual likeness, lying in the human being's capacity for interiority.

"man is not decieved when he regards himself as superior to bodily things and more than just a speck of nature or a nameless unit in the city of man. When he is drawn to think about his real self, he turns to those deep recesses of his being where God who probes the heart awaits him, and where he decides his own destiny in the sight of God."(SVII)

This personal "I" means he can have a relationship with God.

Even after the fall, man is still in the image of God, though sin however, he lost his likeness, but this was restored through Christs redemption.