An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominicans

sista2b

who is or is going to be a Dominican?
it seems like there's more and more Dominicans popping up on Phatmass.
I'm just wondering how many there are.

One of my best friends and another good friend of mine are joining the Dominicans (St Joseph Province) TODAY.

Edit: I'm hoping to join them in a few years, Deo volente.

Edited by BurkeFan

FaustinaVianney

God-Willing August '05 I'll be a Sister of St Cecilia. I'm starting to not like the rule that one must be Catholic for 2 years before entering. hehe Oh, well I have a year to say goodbye to a lot of people...

BurkeFan~Do you know any of the young men that were novices this past year?? I went to school at XU and attended Mass at their parish, St Gertrude's. I know all of of 'em. They are so wonderful and helped me to grow soooo much spiritually! I attended vespers and the conventual Mass with them a few times a week. Such an awesome Holy place!!! Their novice master...well, there are no words to describe him. He gave such wonderful homilies and insights.

daugher-of-Mary

Wow. I feel outnumbered. :ph34r: ;)

The Dominicans are doing VERY well it seems. God be praised! One of my closest friends entered with a community that is Franciscan and Dominican in spirituality, and are very orthodox. She is going to be clothed soon! :D

[quote name='FaustinaVianney' date='Jul 5 2004, 02:53 PM'] BurkeFan~Do you know any of the young men that were novices this past year?? I went to school at XU and attended Mass at their parish, St Gertrude's. I know all of of 'em. They are so wonderful and helped me to grow soooo much spiritually! I attended vespers and the conventual Mass with them a few times a week. Such an awesome Holy place!!! Their novice master...well, there are no words to describe him. He gave such wonderful homilies and insights. [/quote]
Yes!! Justin Matchulat! I knew him my freshman year at SLU before he joined the Dominicans!
Did you just finish your junior year at XU? If so, you might know Noy Sasis? He just finished his freshman year though... Awesome, awesome, awesome kid. One of the holiest guys I know.

Edited by BurkeFan

FaustinaVianney

That name doesn't sound familiar, but I was locked up in the training room most of my time at X. (I was an athletic training major)

Br Justin! He is wonderful. He's the philosophy major from Nashville, right-o?? Oh how I miss my brothers! St Therese did say that it is more important to pray for others rather than 'be' with them physically...

[quote name='FaustinaVianney' date='Jul 6 2004, 11:37 PM'] Br Justin! He is wonderful. He's the philosophy major from Nashville, right-o?? Oh how I miss my brothers! St Therese did say that it is more important to pray for others rather than 'be' with them physically... [/quote]
I'm not sure if he's originally from Nashville or not.... yes, he probably was a philosophy major... I knew him when he was a philosophy grad student at SLU.

If you're going to be there this fall, be sure to get to know Jeff Senzig and Jim Brent well next year. Jim is probably one of the smartest guys I know... just incredibly smart. Jeff is awesome too, brilliant indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
FutureSoror

I'm going to be a Dominican too! Godwilling, (and I'm pretty much positive He does), the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. (This is my first post, by the way. I've been hanging around here a long time, though.)

[quote name='FutureSoror' date='Jul 15 2004, 11:04 PM'] I'm going to be a Dominican too! Godwilling, (and I'm pretty much positive He does), the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. (This is my first post, by the way. I've been hanging around here a long time, though.) [/quote]
That's the same group I hope to enter next year? When do you think you would enter?

JMJ
7/16 - Our Lady of Mt. Carmel

As an semi-official Latin dork, I feel that I must give props to "FutureSoror" for her name. ;)

I know a group of very liberal Dominicans. Like the ones that ran my high school. There is a whole group based in Florida that do not wear the habit. :(

However, Nashville Dominicans seem to be fairly reputable. I need to visit the convent there so I can shake off all the liberal notions I have from my high school.