An Old School Catholic Message Board

At A Standstill

picchick

I don't know what to do. I don't feel like I am called to do anything. I don't want to date and I don't want to look into being a nun. I have although forced myself to look at a few communities. Is anyone else at this point?

meg

i am

im totally uninterested in dating and stuff

i just wanna live my life for God but i dont know if tthats priesthood or maybe being a youth group leader

i dont know right now so i just keep praying that God will give me a clear sign that will show me wat He wants me 2 do

Just remember God made each person with a certain goal for them in mind. Some are to be married and raise families, others will join a religious order, and those that will remain single and serve God as well but not by becoming a nun or a priest. :)

God Bless,
Jennie

FaustinaVianney

I think that it is important to remember that God gives us a vocation for every moment in our lives. You might not know right now if you are called to Rel Life or married life, but you are called to do SOMETHING. I don't know how old you are, but prolly a student, so that is your vocation right now. Continue to learn about the Church, her teachings, and ALWAYS pray! (remember that your schoolwork/studying is a prayer to God, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't 'talk' to God) Through this perseverance God will eventually show you which life you are called to just stay close to Him.

Looking at your age, I would say be patient, go to Mass as often as possible, pray a lot, and be patient. Also, finish college. :) I know I made a decision a while back not to decide I'm sure about my Vocation before I finished my sophomore year in college.

[quote]I don't know what to do. I don't feel like I am called to do anything. I don't want to date and I don't want to look into being a nun. I have although forced myself to look at a few communities. Is anyone else at this point?

meg [/quote]

[quote]i am

im totally uninterested in dating and stuff

i just wanna live my life for God but i dont know if tthats priesthood or maybe being a youth group leader

i dont know right now so i just keep praying that God will give me a clear sign that will show me wat He wants me 2 do [/quote]

I know how you feel. I was there too, but not long aftr that, God sent the most amazing girl into my life and I am now almost sure of my vocation to married life.(I still keep the religious vocation in mind because you never know when, how, or what God will call so we still have to be prepared!) I am heavily conidering becoming a deacon, and I would love to teach at a Catholic school or university.

cmotherofpirl

Several thoughts:

It is good to think of your vocation as "what am I doing for the rest of my life". To decide that, you have to discern what you are good at, and what God wants.

While you are waiting on God to get back to you, pay attention to the people around you. Sometimes God uses friends, neighbors and even strangers as
messengers.

Sometimes God gives you several different vocations in one lifetime, or a vocation within a vocation [think of Mother Teresa or Mother Anglica]

Lastly this is my siggy on another board:

Here is a test to find whether your
mission on earth is finished:
If you're alive, it isn't.

:)

Soldier4Him

cmother~i LOVE that sig.

Discernment is a long tedious process. And you have to remember that things don't come in your time, they come in God's time. Keep praying, He'll show you where you're meant to be. God doesn't leave us groping around in the dark.

I am going to visit some nun orders. I kinda feel anxious about it. I feel like I have to try them though.

daugher-of-Mary

What orders are you visiting? Don't be worried about it. I've never met a group of Sisters that didn't make me feel right at home!

let_go_let_God

A friend of mine that just became a priest about a year ago told me that he wasn't sure if he was called to be a priest untill the moment that he was ordained. Also he told me that "God has a purpose and a vocation for you, and he will give it to you in due time. Now you have a timing that you think of but God has His. Most likely your timing is not in sync with God's so just be paitent and let God work in His own time."

I can relate to how you are feeling. All I can say is give it time. It will try your patience but it will come.

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Jul 23 2004, 11:06 PM'] What orders are you visiting? Don't be worried about it. I've never met a group of Sisters that didn't make me feel right at home! [/quote]
I haven't met sisters that haven't made me feel at home either. I guess I am just nervous at the whole outcome. I am pretty much a home girl. I am afraid that it will be right I guess. I know I shouldn't be. If it is God's Will then I know I WANT to do it because I'll be so happy! I just gotta force myself to try. It won't hurt me. It'll only make me stronger in faith and discernment. I think that I was just in a rut. I will let God take care of things while I just try out orders and dating (if it comes up).

Oh, so anyway. Religious Sisters of Mercy in Michigan, they are health care nurses. Full habits. They have DOCTORS!! Like SURGEONS!!!!

Fransican Sisters of the Renewal. YAY!!!
\
Meg

God Conquers

[quote name='WillT' date='Jul 15 2004, 10:13 PM']

I know how you feel. I was there too, but not long aftr that, God sent the most amazing girl into my life and I am now almost sure of my vocation to married life.(I still keep the religious vocation in mind because you never know when, how, or what God will call so we still have to be prepared!) I am heavily conidering becoming a deacon, and I would love to teach at a Catholic school or university. [/quote]
Will, I think it's awesome that you are leaving your options open, and also admire your commitment to purity in dating and openness to a true vocation to marriage.

Be careful of this though: If you feel some sort of call to the permanent diaconate at this point in your life (pre-marriage) I would seriously consider investigating the priesthood further.

I know for myself, at one point I thought that, well... God may be calling me to the priesthood, but I want to get married so maybe I'm called to be a deacon.

Abandon yourself to God's will, he has the best plan for you. That strange call to be a deacon might be a hint of something else. It may not be the case, but don't rule it out, and investigate it further.

God Bless.
Matt

I've heard it said that, really, the desire for marriage and a family isn't really a major determinant in whether or not a person has a vocation. No matter what state of life God is calling us to, we are all called to a form of motherhood or fatherhood.

Now, there's nothing wrong with not being interested in dating(mind you, this is coming from a girl who has been single for almost five years, now), don't get me wrong. However, it seems like a common objection in the discernment process is something along the lines of "I can't be called to be a sister/brother/priest... I want to get married!". No matter what your vocation, at the very heart of living it out, is love and sacrifice. How beautiful it is, for example, when a woman sets aside her very natural and good desire to get married and raise a family, to become a sister. Conversely, there are many people who have a desire for the religious life, but have a vocation to the married or single life. At any rate, our vocation isn't about what we want... it's about what God wants... I know, for me, the two very rarely seem to agree.

I'm sorry if that's not very clear, or coherant. I'm a little muddled tonight.

Edited by Sanvean