An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reformed Catholics

Robyn

I think she means Catholics who left the Church for Protestantism. If so, I wouldn't call their leaving the Church "reforming" themselves. How can it be, since they left Jesus' Church?

ok... I can't remember the right terms, but basically they're Catholic but have been thru some kind of "reform" or "spiritual experience. Does that make sense?

I thought it was common knowledge in the Catholic circle.

They attend Catholic services...believe all the Catholic stuff. They haven't left.

Edited by Robyn

Well... anyone can have a religious "renewal, reawakening, or reconversion." Particularly if you are living a lax lifestyle.

So... in that sense, I suppose you could say I'm a "reformed" Catholic. There have been dry periods in my spirtual life, and periods of intense closeness to God. But... yeah. I think that's generally normal.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone here will deny that people are in a constant need of "reform." Reform from sin, reform to conform to Christ and his Church, and etc.

Edited by VanHooty

'reformed catholic' sounds like a mix between 'born again' and 'protestant'.

catholics are catholic. to the best of my knowledge, there is no reformed rite of the catholic church. to many catholics, the very word reformed only brings to mind the reformation, and NOT a wonderful experience in their own life.

to be catholic is to be baptized catholic. accepting your faith may come as a groundbreaking change of lifestyle, like st. agustan, but i don't think he's reformed at all. (i would safly say that i have back up on that one).

please research the 'reformed catholic' title and come back to the board so we all have a better familiarity with this term! thanks! :)

No, we mean Catholics who turn anglican or Lutheran or other protestan groups. Sometimes you can't stop it though. For example, My friendz mom used to be Catholic, then she moved to another place with only one Catholic Church that made her feel bad (spiritually) when she was in it (at this time she was only 9) and so they tried the Baptist church then found thier way to the Nondenomination church. She isn't Catholic but it wasn't really her choice or much of the families fault.

Edited by musturde

I think you mean cradle Catholics who later in life had a "re-conversion." In that they never left the Church formally, but were falling away spiritualy, and later in life picked the faith up anew with renewed ferver. If that is the case then that is certainly my case. Three years ago, I believed that it didn't matter where you found God as long as you found Him. Whatever works for you. Now I realize that is still true, but once you've found Him, your journely must lead to Catholic Church or you are headed off on track. I was one of those Catholics who did not know their faith and held most of the same misconceptions that many Protestants do. Once I got those misconceptions cleared up, I realized how beautiful the faith was, and have experience a couple more "re-conversions" since. Hopefully one day, I'll hear someone call me 'one of those Jesus freaks.'

There is really no such thing as a 'reformed Catholic' because the Catholic Church teachings have never had to change. The Church will never be overcome by the netherworld. The Church teaches the same morals today that it did 2000 years ago.

God Bless, Love in Christ & Mary

ironmonk

There is really no such thing as a 'reformed Catholic' because the Catholic Church teachings have never had to change.

basicaly... this makes sense... anything else wouldn't be Catholic