An Old School Catholic Message Board

Peter Gets The Keys

flip

so, i was talking apologizing (real word?) the other night, and i brought up the keys of heaven scripture, showing that the papacy did have spirtual power on this earth.

my friends reply was to bring me through the continuance of scripture. right after this:

18And I tell you that you are Peter,[3] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[4] will not overcome it.[5] 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[6] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[7] loosed in heaven." 20Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

this happens:

21From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.
22Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. "Never, Lord!" he said. "This shall never happen to you!"
23Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

so im like... what up with that? how can you say "You are so dope, and i want to build my church upon you, and then say "No dude, you are Satan" buliding the church on something that can be called Satan is really confusing :blink:

someone come to my aid! what the deal?

Edited by flip

Jake Huether

Jesus wasn't talking to Peter, but rather, Satan who was tempting Peter.

Peter had an ernest concern for His Lord. And Satan used Peter's fear / concern to try and tempt Jesus away from His Salvific hour. Jesus wasn't directing his dialogue to Peter. He was commanding Satan to get the Hell away from His Pope! It was a lesson for Peter to understand just how crafty Satan is. Satan will play on even our Holy and nobel concerns. Peter, just like any friend, didn't want his Friend to die. This was ernest Love for God. But Satan used it as a temptation to Christ.

Jesus put the smack down on Satan, not on Peter.

We see after the Resurrection that Jesus hasn't retracted his desire for Peter to lead His flock. Jesus asks Peter 3 times to feed His sheep. And certainly in Acts we see Peter the head of the Apostles.

Edited by Jake Huether

1337 k4th0l1x0r

From the moment Jesus gave Peter his new name, he pronounced that he WILL (future tense) be the one who will receive the keys and be the first pope (but not by that name). It's clear throughout the Gospels that Peter does a lot of spiritual "growing up." He doesn't want to believe that Jesus actually have to die.

The "get behind me Satan" comment means more of putting something behind you in a "never look back" sense rather than a "you're behind me for support" sense. He is rebuking Peter here, but he's telling Peter that he's still thinking in physical rather than spiritual terms. The fullness of what Christ does for the world has yet to be revealed to his disciples, so naturally it's hard to accept everything.

By the time Jesus dies, rises from the dead, ascends, and sends the Holy Spirit down at Pentecost, it's very clear that Peter has received the keys and is ready for his mission to spread the Gospel.

[url="http://download.rbn.com/ewtn/g2ewtn/download/odaudio/fiction03.ra"]http://download.rbn.com/ewtn/g2ewtn/downlo...io/fiction03.ra[/url]

Jesus was rebuking Peter because Peter didn't understand the full mission of Christ's sacrifice, and in essence, was opposing his death on Calvalry. Obviously, this is what Satan would have wanted. Peter was thinking in a selfish way, because he was thinking of Christ as his friend, and forgetting about the plan of salvation. I think Jesus was calling Peter Satan, but obviously, not literally. Why would Jesus give Satan the keys to the kingdom of heaven? Doesn't make sense.

Now, in the previous verses, Jesus promised Peter the papacy, but it wasn't immediate. Peter was still being molded. He didn't become pope until Pentacost, after Jesus was gone.

Furthermore, it was in Jesus' nature to pick the weak to sanctify the mighty. He was born in a stable. He humbled himself by becoming man--and even further, by becoming a simple piece of bread. Peter was weak. If Jesus wanted a perfect, powerful pope, he would have chosen a king. The pope is only infallible when officially teaching the Church on matters of faith and morals. Otherwise, as proved by Peter (and multiple other popes), he's an imperfect human, just like the rest of us.

Peter was capable of error in non-faith matters. He wasn't a precog, and he could certainly be stumbling block to others.

what dUSt said.

Also, I'd be interested to see what the original Greek/underlying Aramaic is in that passage. The word 'satan' in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Arabic means 'adversary' so Jesus could have been using it to tell Peter "Look, you are unwittingly opposing My plan for the salvation of Humanity"

At least thats what Pat Madrid says in "Pope Fiction"