An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment And Dating

M.SIGGA

How does someone go about doing both because I'm a little bit confused. Is it better not to date at all while discerning a religious vocation? Suggestions?

Unless you are truely sure that you have a religious vocation, then I think that it would be alright to date. I once talked to a friend about this. She has been dating the same guy for about 3 years. She always says that she is looking for the right thing to do. I think that it would be part of dicernment. As always pray.

meg

God Conquers

If you have felt God's call to discern the priesthood, I would advise against dating while you do it.

It is incredibly important that we do not have anything in the way of our discernment, and a girlfriend would definately get in the way.

If you discern that God has not called you... then start dating!
But if you are dating someone and happen to discern that God wants you to be a priest... well you have some explaining to do.

Dating is discernment.... not of the call to marry, but of the call to marry thhe girl you are dating.

thanks, I just wanted some other opinions. it's been really really tough, but I've actually stopped dating to discern if I'm being called to the priesthood. I'll keep posting these until I find a good spiritual director :D

• 3 weeks later...
franciscanheart

Congratulations on what I believe to be the right decision!

Dating, I believe, as does God Conquers, is the discernment of marrying the woman you are dating. You should therefore wait to date until you have discerned your calling in life. Dating is best pursued when marriage is a definite goal.

geetarplayer

In my case, my girlfriend got very personally offended when I mentioned the idea of becoming a priest.

-Mark

I'm glad this post came back up to the top. Right now it's a big challenge for me to turn this big part of my young adult life off to clearly discern. I keep meeting girls I really want to take out, like more now than before, and these past few months have been the longest time I've been completely and totally 100% single and able to devote that sort of attention elsewhere :priest:

Edited by M.SIGGA

God Conquers

Your telling ME! I'm on mission with 36 of the most awesome, beautiful and holy girls ever assembled. It's a little easier since we're not allowed to date... but still.... I mean, cmon. Feels like my heart is breaking all the time!

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jul 29 2004, 06:52 AM'] Feels like my heart is breaking all the time! [/quote]
LoL I hear you loud and clear! I'm so glad I'm not the only person feeling this way. Its seems all of the sudden since I've been seeking out the religious life, all these wonderful, beautiful girls just sort of popped out of nowhere :wacko:

God Conquers

M SIGGA,

Don't worry though, the suffering will pay off! God rewards those who are faithful to His Will, not only in the life to come, but in felicity in our current lives!

woohoo.