An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opus Dei

_bc

I don't know anything about Opus Dei, but they are mentioned in a book I'm reading (mainly to say that they have a big building in New York). I'd be very interested to know something about them, if any of you have any information.

Is it part of the "charismatic movement"?

Are there any members on this website?

Edited by _bc

[quote name='_bc' date='Jul 9 2004, 03:02 PM'] I don't know anything about Opus Dei, but they are mentioned in a book I'm reading (mainly to say that they have a big building in New York). I'd be very interested to know something about them, if any of you have any information.

Is it part of the "charismatic movement"?

Are there any members on this website? [/quote]
Opus Dei is AWESOME.

check out

[url="http://www.opusdei.org"]http://www.opusdei.org[/url]
[url="http://www.EscrivaWorks.org"]http://www.EscrivaWorks.org[/url] (be sure to check out "The Way")

I want to join, but the closest chapter is in Miami and I'm just south of Tampa.

And... they're not part of the "charismatic movement"... [b]real [/b]charismatics have always been with the Church. The "movement" can be chaulked up to people watching to much TV and thinking speaking jibberish brings us closer to God. 99% of the "tongues" people claim are false. Gifts of the Spirit are ment to benefit the community... Look up Fr. Sudac on the web... look for his interview... he's a real Charismatic.

St. Pio was a real Charismatic.

God Bless,
ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote]Opus Dei is a personal prelature of the Catholic Church. It was founded in 1928, by St. Josemaría Escrivá.[/quote]
[url="http://www.opusdei.org/"]http://www.opusdei.org/[/url]

Opus Dei is a very orthodox group for lay people. I know of no Opus Dei involvment in the charismatic movement.

crusader1234

The book you are reading is DaVinci code arentcha? The DaVinci code's fictional character (Silas or something right?) is an exaggeration of an Opus Dei member.

Regular Opus Dei members adhere to Church Dogma, and are devout Catholics. They adhere to certain rules such as fasting and certain living conditions, but none of those go against Church teachings or are 'charismatic' depending on the definition.

[quote]“[Opus Dei] has as its aim the sanctification of one’s life, while remaining within the world at one’s place of work and profession: to live the Gospel in the world, while living immersed in the world, but in order to transform it, and to redeem it with one’s personal love for Christ. This is truly a great ideal, which right from the beginning has anticipated the theology of the lay state, which is a characteristic mark of the Church of the Council and after the Council.” L’Osservatore Romano, August 27, 1979. [/quote]

There are a few things that most poeple kind of go :o at, such as corporal mortification (using the cilice etc.) but those arent mandated by the organization and are totally in line with Church teachings and are in fact encouraged when the person is willing:

[quote]Blessed Pope John XXIII: “No individual Christian can grow in perfection, nor can Christianity gain in vigor, except it be on the basis of penance. That is why in Our Apostolic Constitution officially proclaiming the Second Vatican Council and urging the faithful to make a worthy spiritual preparation for this great event by prayer and other acts of Christian virtue, we included a warning to them not to overlook the practice of voluntary mortification.” Encyclical Paenitentiam Agere (On the Need for the Practice of Interior and Exterior Penance), July 1, 1962. [/quote]

But a cilice?

I know St. Joseph of Copertino wore one, but his superior got onto him for it.

Edited by qfnol31

crusader1234

I think its sort of sick... and not something I really think God wants me to do, but if somebody feels called to mortification of the cilice (for those of you who dont know its kind of like wrapping barbed wire around your thighs) for valid reasons then I'm not getting in the way of that.

Actually, I'm looking it up, there are other forms of it (not metal, but clothing) which I could see as helpful in overcoming temptations against purity.

Opus Dei rocks. Spiritual Direction provided by Opus Dei Priests to members and others is exceptional. I am not that familiar with "charismatic movements", but have never seen anything like that at any Opus Dei functions. OD is very orthodox, and extremely loyal to the Church, Magisterium and Pope. It is a controversial organization in the Church..... a Priest that recommended me to the OD told me all things that are holy are controversial... this world is against holiness. Regarding the large building rap, give me a break... Catholics have taken a beating for a long time over nice buildings. I mean, is it really necessary for the Vatican to be so fancy? HEHEHE

PS my comments above in no way mean anything negative towards any "charismatic movements"..... I really don't know alot about them.

Edited by Sinner

phatcatholic

for some reason, i always thought they were considered controversial. why is that? are there alot of misconceptions about Opus Dei? what are they?

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Jul 10 2004, 03:07 AM'] for some reason, i always thought they were considered controversial. why is that? are there alot of misconceptions about Opus Dei? what are they? [/quote]
This is from opusdei.org:

[url="http://www.opusdei.org/art.php?w=32&p=300"]Is Opus Dei Controversial?[/url]

[i]Handbook of Prayers[/i], put out by Scepter Publishers and the Midwest Theological Forum, is a great prayerbook that I use. Much of it was written by the Opus Dei, and the general editor is Fr. James Socias. I believe he composed the Rosary and Stations of the Cross Meditations in the [i]Handbook[/i]. He's pretty cool.

daugher-of-Mary

Opus Dei is awesome!! My dad is a member. They meet once a month for prayer, conferences, Holy Mass, and Eucharistic Adoration. The idea is to encourage lay people to take life in Christ to the limit, and become saints!

For folks interested in the Dallas area:

Opus Dei has a monthly Evening of Recollection for men on the second Tues of each month. It is generally silent with three meditations. The first and last are given by the Priest, the second by a lay person. Benediction/Eucharistic Adoration is last.

There will be an Evening of Recollection for men.....Tuesday, July 13, 2004 at St. Paul University Hospital Chapel in Dallas. The start time will be 7:30 p. m. and Fr. Mike Manz &/OR Fr. Victor Cortez will be there early (circa 7:00 pm) to hear confessions. Confession will also be available throughout most of the Recollection and for a short time afterward. For your information, there is a 6:15 pm Mass at St. Paul University Hospital Chapel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

An open invitation........