An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opus Dei

_bc

[quote name='Donna' date='Jul 11 2004, 02:30 AM'] Did someone say St. Padre Pio was charasmatic?

Better check that again. [/quote]
He had charisms. :)

Opus Dei is a sinister cabal covering up the secrets of the Merogvingian dynasty.

Bizarre conspiracy theories as literature, who knew?

[quote] Did someone say St. Padre Pio was charasmatic?

Better check that again.[/quote]

:D Can you see him swaying in the wind?

I understand what people were saying, but its a funny image!

peace...

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Jul 10 2004, 05:07 AM'] for some reason, i always thought they were considered controversial. why is that? are there alot of misconceptions about Opus Dei? what are they? [/quote]
Same here. Part of my family in Uruguay are members, and all I've heard of it is good, yet it seems to be controversial...

[quote]This is from opusdei.org:

Is Opus Dei Controversial? [/quote]

Thanks for that Colleen :D

[quote]Opus Dei has received widespread praise from both inside and outside the Catholic Church. Yet Opus Dei is a new institution of the Church. Like other new institutions, Opus Dei has sometimes been misunderstood. This criticism has sometimes been directed at Opus Dei because of its strong faithfulness to the Pope, the bishops and the Catholic faith. Other times, the root cause of a controversy, real or apparent, is a misunderstanding of some basic point about Opus Dei, such as:

a failure to grasp that in social, political, family, economic and professional matters, members make up their own minds and act with complete freedom and personal responsibility;
or a confusion of secrecy and privacy, quite distinct concepts;
or an inability to appreciate the difference between the secular or lay condition of the members, on the one hand; and the canonical state of the consecrated life and aspects that go with it, on the other.
Anyone familiar with history will hardly be surprised to find some controversy surrounding a relatively new institution of the Church. In fact, Jesus Christ repeatedly warned his followers to expect such criticism. [/quote]

conservativecatholic

A few of my friends and their families are members of Opus Dei and I would like to become one as well, but I have never heard a full explanation regarding the organization and its purpose. Would someone please explain? Thanks so much and May God Bless!

conservativecatholic

nevermind. I went to the websites ironmonk had advised us to go to and everything is explained there. Thanks for all your help, ironmonk.

Thanks for you replies (and the links). I feel better informed now.

Yes, the book is the Da Vinci Code. I didn't mention what book it is in the first post, because it's full of silly conspiracy theories about the faith, and I didn't want that fact to get in the way. It's a suspense thriller (sort of like a pagan Tom Clancy), so I didn't expect the characters to be representations of the median Opus Dei member, that's why the only information I could glean from the book was about the size of the headquarters. (That's not a criticism, just the extent of my knowledge prior to looking at the links you guys provided.)

Thanks again for the replies.