An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Arinze On Liturgical Dance

ladybug

[url="http://www.adoremus.org/1003Arinze.html"]http://www.adoremus.org/1003Arinze.html[/url]

So I'm not sinning if I sway a little at church afterall. He is not trying to do away with swaying.

If you are being moved to adore Our Lord that much more than swaying isnt a sin.
I think music should be there to draw us closer, to put us in that state of mind, ya know? If you are just enjoying it,(like music from a radio station or your favorite pop artist) then I think this is different.

If you get up and do a jig....well, then thats another thing altogether.

Peace.

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Jul 10 2004, 12:35 PM'] If you are being moved to adore Our Lord that much more than swaying isnt a sin. 
I think music should be there to draw us closer, to put us in that state of mind, ya know?  If you are just enjoying it,(like music from a radio station or your favorite pop artist) then I think this is different. [/quote]
I agree, to the point that it is lead to the adoration of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament and as long as it isn't distractive to anyone else.

Edited by maxk

catholicguy

Where did he allow for swaying? I used to be in Life Teen, so I know what it is like. I used to do all the clapping and things that he said were wrong. He said that a little movement during processions is fine but that dance is not fine. He is not talking about "a little movement" as in "swaying", otherwise he would not have said that entering and leaving the church and the processions during Mass were examples of "a little movement." He was talking about movement in general. Did I miss something?