An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cremation - Acceptable For The Right Reasons

ironmonk

The new Code of Canon Law (1983) stipulates, "The Church earnestly recommends that the pious custom of burying the bodies of the dead be observed; it does not, however, forbid cremation unless it has been chosen for reasons which are contrary to Christian teaching" (No. 1176, 3). Therefore, a person may choose to be cremated if he has the right intention. However, the cremated remains must be treated with respect and should be interred in a grave or columbarium.

Refs:
[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=1174"]http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=1174[/url]

[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=645"]http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=645[/url]

[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=2743"]http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=2743[/url]

[url="http://www.catholicherald.com/saunders/98ws/ws980115.htm"]http://www.catholicherald.com/saunders/98ws/ws980115.htm[/url]

God Bless,
ironmonk

conservativecatholic

I have always been against cremation because it has been contrary to Church Law for about 2000 years. Although it is now permitted in the Church, I still have a weird feeling about the concept of burning. How will our bodies be resurrected when we have ashes spread all over the place? I know that God has His ways but it is just the feeling of not having a body intact to be raised.

Edited by conservativecatholic

[quote name='conservativecatholic' date='Jul 12 2004, 01:40 PM'] I have always been against cremation because it has been contrary to Church Law for about 2000 years. Although it is now permitted in the Church, I still have a weird feeling about the concept of burning. How will our bodies be resurrected when we have ashes spread all over the place? I know that God has His ways but it is just the feeling of not having a body intact to be raised. [/quote]
Read the articles bro, and the history of it.

What about all the saints that died by fire on the stack and their ashes spread all over to defy Catholic teaching?

Anything is possible with God. Doesn't it say somewhere in the bible that we'll get a new body?

God Bless,
ironmonk

it was against Church Law because people did it for the sole purpose of denying the ressurection of the body. Nothing's impossible with God, He could ressurect a body that got sucked into a black hole, He could ressurect a body that got eaten by a tiger, He could ressurect a body that got burnt to ashes

Archbishop 10-K

Yeah, nowadays people might have to get cremated because of expensive burial prices. I think God would understand a person getting cremated for that reason, and pretty much that reason alone.

conservativecatholic

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 12 2004, 12:26 PM'] it was against Church Law because people did it for the sole purpose of denying the ressurection of the body. Nothing's impossible with God, He could ressurect a body that got sucked into a black hole, He could ressurect a body that got eaten by a tiger, He could ressurect a body that got burnt to ashes [/quote]
Correct. Like I said in my earlier post, "God has his ways." Plus, cremation out of bad intentions is what I had a problem with- not cremation in general.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Jul 12 2004, 12:21 PM'] Read the articles bro, and the history of it.

What about all the saints that died by fire on the stack and their ashes spread all over to defy Catholic teaching?

Anything is possible with God. Doesn't it say somewhere in the bible that we'll get a new body?

God Bless,
ironmonk [/quote]
good point.

print. :pc:

I have never been interested in burial. I take up more than enough room on earth. I dont see the need to take up space when I'm dead.
A headstone, the crypt, the pain of my family not wanting to go to my grave. Cremation is so much simpler.
But I guess the idea of having my ashes let go into the wind is a bad idea? Or is that ok with the Church?
After all, why should I be confined to a coffin, or a small jar?

Let me go!!!!!!!

Edited by Quietfire

catholicguy

If one is cremated, his remains must be buried according to the Church, as far as I know. The fact that cremation was used to make void the resurrection of the body is a good enough reason to not take part in it. The Church has not allowed it for 2000 years. I follows the traditions of the Church, the authentic ones. A "tradition" that has only been around for 20 years pails in comparison to that which has lasted 2000 years.

conservativecatholic

[quote name='catholicguy' date='Jul 12 2004, 09:21 PM'] If one is cremated, his remains must be buried according to the Church, as far as I know. The fact that cremation was used to make void the resurrection of the body is a good enough reason to not take part in it. The Church has not allowed it for 2000 years. I follows the traditions of the Church, the authentic ones. A "tradition" that has only been around for 20 years pails in comparison to that which has lasted 2000 years. [/quote]
Catholicguy is right. How can we ignore a 2000 year old law banning cremation and accept a 40 year old law allowing cremation? Many councils throughout Church history are contradicting. This is a prime example.

Edited by conservativecatholic

I thought it was banned because the Roman pagans cremated their dead. I'd rather just rot... it's way more interesting.

[quote name='conservativecatholic' date='Jul 13 2004, 12:49 AM'] Catholicguy is right. How can we ignore a 2000 year old law banning cremation and accept a 40 year old law allowing cremation? Many councils throughout Church history are contradicting. This is a prime example. [/quote]
Same way they got rid of a many more thousand year old practice, circumcision. That changed because of a change in the covenant, but it still changed nonetheless. Change isn't bad, even if it's thousands of years old! I don't think that age should matter. We're a growing Church. :)

[quote name='"NewAdvent.org"']What Christian faith has ever held in this regard is clearly put by the third-century writer Minucius Felix, in his dialogue "Octavius", refuting the assertion that cremation made this resurrection an impossibility: "Nor do we fear, as you suppose, any harm from the [mode of] sepulture, but we adhere to the old, and better, custom" ("Nec, ut creditis, ullum damnum sepulturae timemus sed veterem et meliorem consuetudinem humandi frequentamus" -- P.L., III, 362).[/quote]

[quote name='"NewAdvent.org"']The legislation of the Church in forbidding cremation rests on strong motives; for cremation in the majority of cases to-day is knit up with circumstances that make of it a public profession of irreligion and materialism.[/quote]

[quote name='"NewAdvent.org"']In conclusion, it must be remembered that there is nothing directly opposed to any dogma of the Church in the practice of cremation, and that, if ever the leaders of this sinister movement so far control the governments of the world as to make this custom universal, it would not be a lapse in the faith confided to her were she obliged to conform.[/quote]

As long as it doesn't try to inhibit God's work, why would cremation be wrong?