An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cost

Phikoz

im just wondering what seminaries cost, i have a bit of a problem with getting jobs and money so im a little low on the money side. so just wondering how much some of the seminaries cost

ThyWillBeDone

Actually it depends on the diocese. In mine Philadelphia, it cost each seminarian around 10,000 a year but when you get ordained they reimburse you in full. Maybe my diocese is the only one that works like that but I don't know.
God Bless,
Chris

ThyWillBeDone

^ I made a mistake. Turns out after the scholarships it only 5,000 a year for each seminarian in my diocese.
Chris

catholicguy

If you are not going to be a diocesan Priest (I am going to the FSSP, Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter, seminary), it is different. For FSSP it is $7,000 per year for 7 years. This Order was created by Pope John Paul II to say strictly the Traditional Latin Mass according to the rubrics of the 1962 liturgical books. One very reassuring fact with this Order is that I will never have to be subject to liturgical abuses of any kind when I am (or, if I am, a Pastor), nor will I have to do anything that goes against my personal conscience, e.g., hand Communion (regardless of whether or not I am a Pastor, I would have to do this). Also, I will not have to fear that, depending on my seminary, I will not be taught and learn Latin (which is canonically required but is sometimes not an obligatory class at some seminaries, and it is almost never required that the seminarian learn Latin, just that he take it for one semester, one year, etc, as is the case with the most orthodox seminary in my diocese, the Archdiocese of Atlanta; the seminary is Mount Saint Mary's).

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote]I am going to the FSSP, Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter, seminary[/quote]
That is very cool indeed. I am contemplating entering a religious order, and the FSSP has crossed my mind at different times.

Edited by thedude

Just remember. You should NEVER have trouble getting into seminary just because of not having enough money.

Edited by PaxVobis

• 2 weeks later...