An Old School Catholic Message Board

"call No Man Your Father"

ReformationNow

Actually, I was asking it for my own benefit. And also to share a more clear picture of what Catholics believe at our next SS meeting. I'm the only person in the class who has any direct contact with Catholics on a weekly basis.

I'm glad you are putting forth the effort to clear up some misconceptions. If more people from both sides would make a better effort to understand, no doubt we'd be one step closer to becoming a unified body.

God bless.

Here's a thought...

If we were to take this verse literally, then I contend it's more appropriate to call a priest father than your own biological father.

After all, a priest is a representative of Christ, where your biological father is simply a sperm donor.

:)

I disagree Dust (this is probably the first time). Biological fathers are no less important that Priests. The family is the domestic Church. A biological father is a type (a shadow) of God the father. As a father I have a big issue when people say that we are just sperm donors, something nice but not essential. My role as a father is essential to them understanding who God is as our Father. Try to teach someone that God is like a father to someone who has no father and it is going to be hard for them to understand this relationship. Or try to tell my little girl that I am just a sperm donor. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

As for you ReformationNow I give you my respect for being fair to the Catholic Church even if you do not totally agree with us.

The sperm donor reference was a joke, probably caused by too much mid-day drive time listening to Dr Laura. I too have a daughter. I wasn't intending to minimize the importance of being a father.

My point was simply that an ordained priest acts "in persona" of Christ, whereas, a man is not made a representative of Christ by simply fathering a child. To the contrary--many men never even see the kids they help conceive.

God bless.

A major thing about St. Matt 23:9 is that in those days, Rabbi's would start their own sects. The whole premise of Christ's saying that was to stress One Faith.

To truely understand the bible, we must compare every verse that is about a topic, and look at what the first Christians wrote.

God Bless, Love in Christ & Mary

ironmonk

Actually, I was asking it for my own benefit. And also to share a more clear picture of what Catholics believe at our next SS meeting. I'm the only person in the class who has any direct contact with Catholics on a weekly basis.

Hey bro,

You might want to look at the topics on this thread and print them out.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=963

Also, we are greatful that you have come here to learn about Catholicism instead of going to Chick, Boettner, Paisley, or Rick Jones....

God Bless,

ironmonk

i think this is a pretty silly argument.

if it's wrong for a Catholic to call a priest father...

is it wrong for me to call my father father?

I mean, if you can call your own father father and then tell these people that they are wrong for calling priests father...what grounds do you have to base your criticism on?

In the passage where that verse is from, Jesus is telling the Pharisees that they aren't all that... They love to be called rabbi and father and be seen as important... but unless you're willing to lay down your own desires to follow God, he can't use your heart.

I think that he was just saying...get over yourselves, you aren't God to them.

ReformationNow

Hey bro,

You might want to look at the topics on this thread and print them out.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=963

Also, we are greatful that you have come here to learn about Catholicism instead of going to Chick, Boettner, Paisley, or Rick Jones....

God Bless,

ironmonk

It is my philosophy that if you want to know what one believes, you go to the source. Not their enemies.