An Old School Catholic Message Board

Punishment As A Child

ironmonk

What kind of punishment you have growing up?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was a pretty obedient kid when I was little. I might have gotten spanked a few times, but mostly my punishments were to go in time-out or to do some job that I hated to do.

[quote] I am the only one who never acted up because my Mom's looks were frightening enough?[/quote]
That's how I was, sorta, too.

Steve Wood has a really great talk about the discipline of children: [url="http://www.saintjoe.com/p/prod_desc.pl?id=10"]http://www.saintjoe.com/p/prod_desc.pl?id=10[/url] . (My parents have it, so that's how I know about it.) ;) He makes a lot of great points, especially about never striking a child in anger and never slapping a child in the face (because one day, that face will look upon the face of God). Basically, he reminds parents that they should discipline their children with a loving attitude. You want them to be saints, you want them to go to Heaven, so not to discipline them and correct them would be wrong.

It's really good. I'd recommend it, but then again, I'm nineteen and I'm not really experienced in all this. :P But my parents recommend it to others (and they have seven kids), so I'll just pass on their recommendation. :)

IcePrincessKRS

I need to look into that Steve Wood talk. Thanks for the link. It sounds like what Matthew and I are trying to practice.

My parents were good. Supposedly, I was only spanked once (I don't remember it) for running in front of a car. Other than that, I was chastised verbally (which always had an effect on me) or sent to my room. I don't think I've ever been grounded though. Though, I don't think it was ever needed. I was a good kid.

When my dad was alive, it was either spankings or being forced to stand in the corner - it didn't matter if there was company over or not.

With my mom, well, let's just say she had her "wire hangers" moments (if you know the movie reference).

Speaking of wire hangers, my mom threw a wire hanger once and it ricocheted off a door and almost hit me in the leg...she felt so bad about almost hitting me and yelling at me that she cried for half an hour and even made herself sick. :sadder:

Yeah, I never got that much discipline because I was an :angel:. My discipline was usually limited to gettin yelled at with the extremely rare spankin when I was a wee tot and a rare grounding as I got older.

My parents used (and still use) different types of discipline. I never got really SPANKED, rather slapped a couple of times, but very mildly.

It wasn't the best thing to use with me because I have a very fiery temper and would cry in rage and say things I would later regret and slam doors. :ph34r:

They hit us where it hurt us most though..our pride and our free time. Punishments at my house are (after several verbal warnings) usually extra chores, not being able to go out with friends, etc. In my case, they knew that would work better than spanking me, becase I have a temper and I wouldn't have forgiven them easily for spanking me, I'd have ben angry and defiant (I 'ignored' them for days once when I was 9, giving them the silent treatment, because my dad slapped me :ph34r: ). But other punishments like being grounded taught me my lesson. My brothers get their Playstation taken away, etc, and that works too.

Real spankings I never got, just slaps. I remember once when I was 10 coming home after playing wit friends in Mexico in the forest near a stream near my house. I had torn my jeans [i]again[/i], they must have been the third pair that month. My mom was furious, she had warned me repeatedly that I had to "grow up", "be a lady", stop climbing trees and take care of myslef and my clothes. When I came home my dad decided that I'd spend the next month washing and ironing clothes every afternoon.

Let's just say it worked. Probably why I hate launfry so much now but am extremely fast and efficient when doing it :lol:

With me and my brothers those types of punishments were much more effective than anything physical.

And now my parents use a new punishment against me, way more effective than any were before, they threaten not to take me to Mass. (:() They know I'll do anything to be able to go to Mass.

(my parents are a long story...some of you know it)

God Bless,

Vera

:mellow: My Brother used to so proud of how 'brave' he was. He used to get spanked all the time because he was always doing something. If he wasn't sneaking out in the middle of a blizzard in his underware, then he was going down the laundry shoot that was next door to my room. He was always up to something.

I can definetly say spanking has helped me understand what is wrong and what is right. I can remember getting caught outside of bed and being like, "ugh oh. Why am I out of bed right now? Dad is going to be very upset. Here he comes..." Yes they hurt, but I learned that I needed to be in bed when it was time, that I needed to stay out of the pantry and leave my brother alone.

We may have learned to behave, but I feel for my parents. We could easily have been some of the worse kids my Ma had ever seen! We where always evolving new ways of doing something bad. My sister even found a way to avoid the pain of a spanking ^_^ She wore all of her underware whenever she knew we were going to do something bad. Then, she would start crying as soon a she felt Dad or Ma Swat her but. One day, Ma figuer it out. So, she only pretended to spank My sis.
Almost immediatly She started crying her head off. That was the last time that worked.

One of my freinds once told me she would never spank her son. A year passed and she says that she is afraid that if she doesn't, he won't respect or listen to anyone.

That is my 2 cents. :)

DancesforLove

I had a funny story to tell for everyone since the topic is punishing kids. It is a true story too.
A few years back my friends Pastor gave a sermon and during part of the sermon he was discussing how to punish your kids. Well he had an 8 year old little boy and spanking him just wasn't working anymore and groundings weren't either. So one day his son got in trouble again and he told him to go to his room and he would be in in a few minutes. So he comes in with a belt and tells his son "Well I have thought about punishing you, and it doesn't seem right or Christian to spank you, so...since Jesus died on the cross for our sins, I will take the beating for your sins." He hands his son the belt and bends over the bed, his son just couldn't punish his father for something he didn't do so he started crying and apologized for everything.
Well the following Sunday the pastor told this story and one of the fathers thought he would try it on his son...So he goes home tells his son the same thing and hands him the belt....Welll the difference between the pastor and the other father was, his son was 16. He had NOOOO problem punishing his father lol, he went to town!!!
So the father goes up to the Church a bit upset and tells the pastor what happens, the pastor laughs and says "Oh I should have mentioned that he has to be sorry for what hes done already"
LOL I thought it was a funny story! :D