An Old School Catholic Message Board

Punishment As A Child

ironmonk

What kind of punishment you have growing up?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What kind of punishment you have growing up?

Just curious...

I was spanked with time out.

The time out I got was the "sit in the bathroom and think about what you did", then the spanking would come.

When I was really bad, it was "and DON'T sit on the toilet"

I had to sit on the cold porcelain, after a while, the butt would really hurt.

I'm grateful for the spankings I received. I always received the "this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you" and "I still love you" speaches, before and after the punishment.

God Conquers

My parents are the best disciplinarians. They need not use anything as negative as slapping, yelling, time-outs etc. They brought us up with great love, and with knowledge of what is right and wrong. When we do something wrong, their dissapointment is more earth shattering than any beating. Hurting someone you love is the worst feeling in the world, and it's just that, love, knowledge (and a stern word here and there) which creates the best kind of discipline.

I was abused, I've had 7 different broken bones by my parents as a child. :)

For real, Time outs with spankings (sometimes in the face if I was real bad).

Winchester

My dad used to say: "Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and I'll give you something to cry about, you little s@#%#^&*($##@%.

Kidding, kidding.

ryanmeyersmusic

considering that at least one person has indicated that they suffered abuse, why make a joke of it?

Winchester

Maybe because I see it every day. Maybe because that's what everyone I know who suffered abuse does, what every abuse counselor I know does. Did you notice the face after Paladin's post?

Laughter is a great coping mechanism, sometimes the only one available.

And, like Hyper, I'm fairly callous and tactless.

littleflower+JMJ

i was the one who was always getting in trouble when i was in my mid-teens, i use to get *ahem* disciplined alot...but i guess i deserved it...and my mom, was (still is) very "contacty"? i guess that the word for it....

but i'm thankful, it worked out, it could have backfired but i guess myparents were praying while spanking me... :(:(

but i see it, why they did it, and let me tell you, it was the only thing that would have worked for me...

time out? i've never had that in my life! if i would have it would have been a party...all that time to myself! thats a gift!

Sometimes physical discipline is the answer. Some children need it, some don't.

As long as it isn't like... breaking bones, slicing skin or anything of that nature...

:(

One time my mom kicked me down a hill with high heel shoes on because I ran away from her instead of helping her find her car keys.

I love telling that story. My mom still thinks I made it up.

Paladin D,

I'm stunned reading your post. 7 bones broken? You're 16 now, right? Have things settled down?

I got spanked as a kid. Got bruises lots of times, but I don't think it was abuse. With 6 kids, we never had a broken bone, blood, or a bruise that lasted more than a day or so. :lol:

Sometimes I think that parents now-a-days don't spank, but are mentally and emotionally abusive. I think that can sometimes be worse than physical abuse, and less attention is paid to it.

cmotherofpirl

I was hit until I was 13.

One day my mother took a swing at me and I knocked her down.

She never tried again.

My mom hit me pretty much until I was 17 years old. But she apologised and felt very sorry which is good because it gave me a chance to reconcile her actions with myself and God. What can I say, she was young and frustrated...and she didn't know better. Lots of prayer helped heal things I promise NEVER to hit my child...(if I have one that is :lol: ) Just to think about it makes me feel horrible...but it's over. and that's nice.

Power is the achievement of desired results with the least amount of force.