An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Universal Church

ReformationNow

ReformationNow

Protestants tend to use this phrase alot, and many Catholics don't understand it. I figured I'd give a little insight.

"The Universal Church" is a term used when a Protestant wishes to refer to 'all believers, at all times in history, all over the world.' The Universal Church is generally understood to be every believer in history who has accepted Christ as their Savior. Most Baptists that I know don't believe in the Universal Church, but then again, they believe that everybody in heaven is gonna be Baptist(you'll convert upon reaching the Pearly Gates). ;)

You're right, ReformationNow, that's what they believe. But of course, the Catholic Church is the universal church. And yes, I'd have to agree that many Baptists think they'll be the only ones in heaven -- at least implicitly!

Hmmm...

I pretty much figured this is what some Protestants believed to be the "Universal Church" (I'm still waiting on mustbenothing's definition). My question for them is, "how can a Church that is so divided be Universal?"

If the Christian Church can remain "universal", yet divided, then why can't we include Jews, Muslims, and Mormons in the mix too?

If the common elment that makes us "universal" is our shared belief in God, then why not extend that universality to all who believe in God?

Thats why the Catholic explanation makes so much sense to me. True--all believers make up the universal church, but only the select few who follow apostolic succession have the fullness of truth, and the assured roadmap (if they choose to follow it) to salvation.

ReformationNow

Hmmm...

I pretty much figured this is what some Protestants believed to be the "Universal Church" (I'm still waiting on mustbenothing's definition). My question for them is, "how can a Church that is so divided be Universal?"

If the Christian Church can remain "universal", yet divided, then why can't we include Jews, Muslims, and Mormons in the mix too?

If the common elment that makes us "universal" is our shared belief in God, then why not extend that universality to all who believe in God?

Thats why the Catholic explanation makes so much sense to me. True--all believers make up the universal church, but only the select few who follow apostolic succession have the fullness of truth, and the assured roadmap (if they choose to follow it) to salvation.

The shared belief is not so much 'belief in God', but rather belief in The Father, Son, Holy Spirit; Creation of Earth by God; Fall of man; Death, burial, and resurrection of Christ; sinlessness of Christ; Salvation thru Christ; and other Christian-specific doctorine.

Most Baptists that I know don't believe in the Universal Church, but then again, they believe that everybody in heaven is gonna be Baptist(you'll convert upon reaching the Pearly Gates). ;)

What country are you from? The Baptists over here (in Australia) don't believe that. So it must just be yer country :)

What country are you from? The Baptists over here (in Australia) don't believe that. So it must just be yer country :)

Hey-O Robyn!

Actually, here in the States, there are a number of Baptist denominations. dUSt and I live in the South, and Southern Baptists are the most prevelant and are fundamentally anti-Every Other Denomination.

IronWill,

The Catholic Church pretty much calls everyone part of the "Church", either normative and outward members (Catholics with the I.D. card and secret handshake) and everyone who accepts good and rejects evil to the best of their understanding. The more accepting of the Graces we've been given, especially those who have been blessed with many avenues of Grace, the more firmly and closely you are incorporated into the One Body of Christ. We've all been graced enough to be members, but we all have free will to reject grace which damages our membership.

Our free will rejection of God's grace is the only thing that can seperate us from our membership of the Universal Church, the One Body of Christ on Earth.