An Old School Catholic Message Board

What I Have Learnt From Phatmass

skuba steve

if you want to prove to somebody that potatoes are healthy, you are not going to achieve it by throwing them at the person's head...

even showing them a book with the history of potato farming and all the nutritional info available about potatoes might not prove very helpful...

i good place to start would be by showing them how potatoes have improved your health...

maybe have some before and after shots or something...hehe

and by letting them experience it for themselves...

have faith in potatoes, they are cool enough to prove their goodness on their own...

btw...that is a Jesus-style analogy...my passion for potatoes isn't that great

Steve

excellent point. Well taken.

I've been a Catholic my whole life. And honestly I have never really been "bad". Even in my prime of "badness", I'm sure even my worst of sins weren't MORTAL - in that I was ignorant of the fact that they were sins anyway.

However, I truly began to research my faith in the past year or so. And I can tell you, I have reached levels of closeness with God that I could NEVER reach outside my Catholic Faith. Had I not been shown the Rosary, I don't know if I could have ever meditated as fully as I have on the Life of Christ. On the lashes that he recieved. On the tears that He shed. On the Life that He lived... That He GAVE for me. In the same sence, I have also felt the tears of Mary. Knowing her Son was basically born to die. Oh, the agony that she must have gone through when she lost him for 3 days! I mean, c'mon. If you lost the Son of God, how would you feel - pretty embarrassed, no? And my soul is tormented when I place myself in her shoes at the foot of the cross. We have NO idea what pain she felt seeing her son spit at and punched, whipped, crowned with throns, mocked, and finally looking at her Son breathing his last on the Cross. This in no way takes me away from my Lord, Jesus. In knowing the pain of His Mother, it reciprocates! Becasue then I begin to understand EVEN more Christs suffering. He knew how much it would hurt his mom! Imagine the temptation he felt to just jump down from the Cross and hug and love his mom! The pain of seeing His Mother hurt so bad must have been equal if not greater than the pain of the nails driven through his hands!

Also, The grace that I recieve from the Sacrament of Reconciliation (confession) is an emmense help in my walk with Christ. When I am assured that my sins were forgiven! When I am assured that my contrition was "good enough". When I am given counsoltation and advice on what I may to to avoid my vices. It is such a blessing. In reading the lives of the Saints my puny mind has been opened to the possibility that I, a sinner, can please God. I have been shown by my peers that the Life of Christ CAN BE and IS immitated!

Most of all Christ Jesus is present for me PHYSICALLY in the Eucharist. When I go to Mass, I can litterally hear all the Angels and Saints singing "Holy, Holy, Holy Lord!". A veil is lifted and there no longer exists a barier between heaven and earth. We are together, celebrating Chrsits Divinity! Celebrating his life, death, and resurection! We are there with Christ on the Cross, and there with Mary Magdelene at his resurection! But, unlike Mary Magdelene, we are not forbidden to touch our Lord, because He is WITH the Father. And in fact, not only can we touch Him, He can be IN us. It's like when you hug your wife, or a close friend. You want to hug them so hard, so bad, that you wish to squeeze yourself into them. With Christ in the Eucharist I can hug him so hard that I consume Him. I am in Him and He is in me, like He said He would be!

It is also comforting for me to read the writtings of past popes, and learn about past Church leaders. It is comforting to read about them then, and learn about the Church now. It is soooo comforting to see that we haven't changed in theology. We haven't changed in teaching. Rock solid from the begining. We haven't swayed on the issue of same sex marriages, or on the issue of women priests. We have never changed our thoughts on contraception (as a side note: before the 30's ALL denominations forbid contraception).

So, this is how my Catholic Faith has helped me. Sure, we can all know Jesus. We can read the Bible ourselves and take what we understand from it on our own. We can listen to other people with our own same thoughts and develope understandings of our Lord.

But the tools that Jesus left in the Church that he bagan on Penticost are priceless. Christ left us a place where we can know Him as fully and as personally as St. Peter himself did. I have found that place.

Amen Jake!

Steve, many of us Catholics get very zealous because of our intimate personal relationship. I know that sometimes we 'throw' the 'tater instead of sharing it. It's because we too are real excited. On your side though, due to my many, many protestant friends, I understand how it feel when one denomination tries to say the others "don't know Jesus" when they do.

It is my opinion that people should convert to Catholicism because Grace helps them grow in Faith, not because they were beaten into intellectual submission. But we can't help but be zealous and a little forceful in our discussion. A Christian, by definition, should be willing to die for the privlege of Witness for God.