An Old School Catholic Message Board

Baptist Beliefs

Joolye

Ok, I am guilty of a cut and paste job from the internet. But here is a good defence of what baptists believe.

“First—As to Baptism, we believe that immersion or dipping is the only way of administering this ordinance as taught in the New Testament, and practiced by Christ and the Apostles, and the only way in which Christians can obey the command to be baptized. Consequently, the mode essential to the ordinance, and nothing but immersion is baptism. Therefore, persons poured upon or sprinkled upon are not baptized at all.”

“Second—As to the subjects for baptism, we believe that the only suitable persons to receive this ordinance are those who have exercised a saving faith in Christ, and are regenerated by the Holy Spirit. Consequently, unconscious infants ought not to be, and cannot be scripturally baptized, since they can neither exercise, nor profess that faith in Christ; and to baptize such is contrary to the teachings and practice of Christ and the Apostles, and most hurtful and injurious to the spiritual welfare of the children so baptized.”

“Third—As to the subjects for church membership, we believe that such persons only as are truly regenerated, and have been scripturally baptized on a profession of faith in Christ, can properly become members of a Christian church. Consequently, neither persons sprinkled, instead of being baptized, nor unconscious infants, nor unregenerated persons, are suitable to become members of a church. To receive the unregenerated to its fellowship would destroy the distinction between the Church and the world, and contradict between the entire spirit and genius of the gospel.”

“Fourth—As to the subjects for communion, we believe that the Lord’s Supper is to be partaken by members of the church alone, being such persons as are regenerated and baptized on a profession of their faith in Christ, and are walking in the faith and fellowship of the gospel. Consequently, neither unregenerated persons, nor unbaptized persons, though regenerate, nor persons walking disorderly and contrary to the gospel, even though baptized, can properly be invited to partake of this ordinance. Therefore, Baptist do not invite sprinkled members of Pedobaptist churches to their communion, because such persons are not scripturally baptized; nor do they admit immersed members of Pedobaptist churches, because such persons are walking disorderly as the disciples of Christ, by holding membership in, and walking in fellowship with churches which receive sprinkling instead of baptism, thereby sanctioning and sustaining a perversion of Christ’s ordinance and a disobedience to his commands. For the same reason, they decline to commune in Pedobaptist churches, as being contrary to good order.”

“Fifth—As to church government, we believe that each separate and individual church is entirely independent of all other churches, persons, and bodies of men, either civil or ecclesiastical, and is to be governed by its own members alone, without aid or interference of any other person or persons whatever. Consequently, churches governed by popes, bishops, synods, presbyteries, conferences, or in any other way than by their own members directly and exclusively, are not constituted on the model of the primitive churches, nor governed according to the gospel rule.”

“Sixth—As to the scriptural offices of a church, we believe there are but two, viz: the pastor, called in the New Testament “bishop” or “overseer,” “presbyter” or “elder,” and deacons. Consequently, those churches which admit more than two officers or orders in the ministry, have departed from the gospel rule and the construction of the primitive church.”

However in my baptist church, you don't HAVE to be a member to be able to partake of communion.

Trooper4DaHolyG

well may I do the same thing

what differs the Australian Christian Churches from the Catholic Church of Australia

We are contemporary in style. The word ‘contemporary’ simply means that we are relevant to our culture. We believe the Church should communicate in a way that will reach both those who are following God and those who are far from Him. The truths of Christianity should not be lost in a haze of theological jargon and religious form. In other words, we try to relate Christianity to the average Aussie in a way that not only grabs their attention, but that they might understand our message.

We are churches who are pro-active in care. Members of Australian Christian Churches don’t just exist for themselves or for the benefit of their own members. They exist also to make a real difference in their own communities, as well as having a broader vision to impact our world. Members of Australian Christian Churches are heavily involved in practical care and community education in areas such as youth services, health, counselling, and addictions rehabilitation. Our members also have a commitment on a global scene to both communicate the message of the Gospel and to minister to the needs of our hurting world.

You know, one reason why I left Protestantism, was the fact it was too modern. I wanted an acient feel, a religious order that taught something for CENTURIES! A setup that has been in function for a long long time, just not individual people starting up churches, and loosely connected.

I'm not saying all are like this, but from my personal expierence...Catholicism drew me.

Besides, there is http://www.lifeteen.com (it's a modern like Catholic youth thing).

You know, one reason why I left Protestantism, was the fact it was too modern.  I wanted an acient feel

Nothing wrong with that, if that's how you connect with God. That's why it's so good that there are so many churches offering different styles that connect with different people.

You know, one reason why I left Protestantism, was the fact it was too modern. I wanted an acient feel, a religious order that taught something for CENTURIES! A setup that has been in function for a long long time, just not individual people starting up churches, and loosely connected.

that's one of the biggest problems with Christians.... all they care about is how they feel... about their needs being met...

that's makes me so angry...

What about the needs of others????

"oh no, this chair is too cooshy for me"

get over it...

God is the same yesterday, today and forever!!!

What does it matter if you meet him in a temple, a mosque an igloo or a mall???

(there was no judging or any statement about the validity of any church above)

Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster, so be easy on me! Anyway, I was reading this thread, and I think that it is good that we are talking about our own religious beliefs. However, I am getting the impression that some on here, while they might not admit it, are moral relativists. They feel that there is no truth with regards to religion.

They may think that if we take what Catholics believe, and what Baptists believe, and Jews, and Moslims, and Methodists, and all other religions, we will have something close to the truth. The only problem is that these religions often times contradict each other.

Most of the posters on this board, I take it, are Christian, so let's deal with the differences among various denominations. Some Christian denominations belive we should baptize infants, some believe we should only baptize adults. Some believe Baptism is not necessary for salvation. Some Christians believe that faith in Jesus Christ as one's own personal Lord and Savior is all one needs to do to be saved, others say that one must be Baptized and continually work towards salvation. There are countless other differences.

Now, the next logical question is, who's right? We know, however, that they can't all be right. So, if I say 2 + 2 is 4, and you say it's 5, we know one person is right and the other one wrong. We would never say that 2 + 2 could be BOTH 4 and 5. So, who's right? Well, Christ founded ONE Church. He founded it on the Apostles with Peter as the head. He wished that "they would all be one." He also promised us that the gates of hell would not prevail against it.

How did Protestantism come into existance anyway? Well, the earliest "Protestants" (people who protested the true faith) were rejected by the leaders of the Church. One example is the gnostics. Lutheranism was founded by Martin Luther, the Catholic priest, who left the Church because he didn't agree with some of its teachings. He felt that the gates of hell had prevailed against it. There are countless others, and as a result, we now have over 30,000 Protestant denominations with new ones starting all the time. This can hardly be "one" as Christ wished.

Realize, I'm not saying this to criticize Protestants. I know many Protestants who love the Bible and love Christ. What a great gift they have been given! However, because I love my separated brethren, and because they are my brothers and sisters in Christ through the one Baptism, I say this because they could have so much more. As a Catholic, I am so blessed because I can literally consume the very Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of my Lord every single day! I can have my sins forgiven by my Lord through his minister, a priest. I can have my future punishment of sins remitted through the granting of indulgences. What gifts we have as Catholics.

So, the entire point I'm trying to make is that all faiths have elements of goodness and truth in them, some more than others. However, we know by reason that some of them are, at least in part, wrong. We must get past the idea that I can worship who/how I want, you worship who/how you want, and we need to start seeking the TRUTH because that is where Christ is.

that's one of the biggest problems with Christians.... all they care about is how they feel... about their needs being met...

that's makes me so angry...

What about the needs of others????

"oh no, this chair is too cooshy for me"

get over it...

God is the same yesterday, today and forever!!!

What does it matter if you meet him in a temple, a mosque an igloo or a mall???

(there was no judging or any statement about the validity of any church above)

I didn't mean to make it sound like that. That was one of the many reasons why I chose Catholicism.

I don't have the brain power to really explain in detail, the other reasons. But all I can say is...

A anti-Catholic history book, confusion about my walk, and emptyness/hunger for something...led me to the Catholic Church.

...It took time for me to accept all it's teachings, but I did overall (since I understood there truths). The last one that I had a hard time accepting, was the teaching about Contraceptives.

Steve:

I actually agree with you to a point. :) 

Oops, I think I misunderstood what Steve was saying. I thought he was agreeing with Paladin. I now see he wasn't. So after reading what Paladin said a second time and then reading what Steve said a second time, I have to disagree with Steve.