An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Life Directory

Pio Nono

srmarymichael

[quote name='TotusTuus' date='Feb 1 2006, 10:04 PM']I'm joining a community at the end of this month..

Oblates Apostles of the Two Hearts (OATH), as a part of the Alliance of the Holy Family, International. (AHFI)

PRAY FOR ME! PM me if you want to know more about it.. their mission house is in Delaware!
[right][snapback]872566[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm praying for all phatmassers that are discerning!

[quote name='jgirl' date='Oct 20 2004, 07:15 PM']I second Drewmeister's thoughts!

Generally, the orders that still have habits and are getting young vocations are the vibrant ones. The CMSWR is where a lot of the good active communities are (although I don't think the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist and the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word are in yet, but they will be someday!).

She can look at some of the websites of the orders listed and see which ones interest her and then maybe go visit some. Visiting is the only way you can tell because you get to see how the community works, how faithful they are, how vibrant they are, and how you interact with them.
[right][snapback]391190[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hi. The SMME are members of the CMSWR, although I haven't seen anything on there of the Sister Servants.

Another recommendation for you, if it hasn't been mentioned before, is to find a good and holy spiritual director who can assist you in your vocational visits and search. I was lucky. My pastor recommended going to the Welcome Mass of the PCPA nuns here in Phoenix, and it was through them that I found my own vocation, to the PCPA in Portsmouth OH, (also part of the Hanceville PCPAs). Praised be Jesus Christ!

God bless you in your search. I will pray for you.

Denise

• 2 weeks later...
LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Sep 2 2005, 06:43 PM']Do they [i]actually[/i] live the vow of poverty? Do they have the authentic spirit of their founder and Rule? Are a substantial number of the Order's members heretical? (I would venture to say that the Jesuits went through a period of time where this was the case).
[right][snapback]709076[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do you believe the Jesuits are better now than they used to be? Seems like I never hear anything positive about them.

I'm curious about the points you made about living the authentic spirit and vow of poverty. Could you expand more on what that should look like? I ask because I feel drawn to the Franciscans, specifically the Friars of the Renewal or Conventuals. I know the vow of poverty means you don't own lots of stuff. However, I visited the home of six brothers and their living room included a nice-sized HDTV with surround sound, DVD player, Xbox, etc. Their living conditions aren't that bad either... it's not the lap of luxury, but it's not what I picture as poverty either. Legally, it all belongs to the church, but to me that sounds like a nice way of obeying the letter of the law while breaking the spirit of the law.

Maybe I'm too idealistic? But I'm reading about Francis of Assisi and this doesn't seem to be what he had in mind.