An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is A Jesuit Anyways?

rachael

Mary's Knight, La

short answer is a member of the religous order founded i think by St. Ignatius of Loyola, Society of Jesus (i think) i know it's abbreviated SJ

short answer is a member of the religous order founded i think by St. Ignatius of Loyola, Society of Jesus (i think) i know it's abbreviated SJ

You would be correct.

They use to run all the major universities. They are highly educated, all having at least 11 years of college/seminary.

Read about them here:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14081a.htm

God Bless,

ironmonk

They use to run all the major universities. They are highly educated, all having at least 11 years of college/seminary.

Catholic universites? Or also Secular?

Thy Geekdom Come

Yes, the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) are Catholic. Their original intent was two-fold: to stop the spread of Protestantism by refuting its errors and to spread the faith to foreign lands.

Now, as an offshoot, they tend to be teachers in Catholic schools.

Unfortunately, they are often known as being too liberal for the Vatican.

Unfortunately, they are often known as being too liberal for the Vatican.

do you know what the Vatican says about them? do they disapprove?

Theologian in Training

As with any order, there are the good ones and the bad ones. Internal to the Jesuits, there are the orthodox and the not-so orthodox. I have met many of both. All in all, the good ones are intellectual powerhouses and the bad ones, well, they want to hold hands, and praise the mother goddess of the earth. If you want a good one, check out Servant of God John Hardon, you want a bad one, check out Anthony DeMello.

God Bless

As with any order, there are the good ones and the bad ones. Internal to the Jesuits, there are the orthodox and the not-so orthodox. I have met many of both. All in all, the good ones are intellectual powerhouses and the bad ones, well, they want to hold hands, and praise the mother goddess of the earth. If you want a good one, check out Servant of God John Hardon, you want a bad one, check out Anthony DeMello.

God Bless

Is there anyway the Vatican can disband members in this orders?

Thy Geekdom Come

No, the Vatican doesn't disapprove of them as a whole, but of monastic orders, they're often seen as the most un-orthodox on the whole. That doesn't mean that each individual is, there are many good, humble, and pious Jesuits, but those that are not tend to be very loud about it.

i don't think so. If they're too liberal, debate em.

Teachers usually respect you if you have intelligent arguments with them in classrooms. Then again, they could just fail you.

I donno, maybe look into what kind of Jesuits run the school.

Thy Geekdom Come

so would it be wrong to go to a jesuit university?

No, at least not inherently. Many of them are good institutions with good priests, but the Jesuits tend to be one the fence on drastic issues like women priests, contraceptives, abortion, etc.

Some are very conservative.

In my home town, we have Creighton University (Creighton University), a Jesuit University, which just ran the play "The Vagina Monologues", which is essentially a bunch of people, dressed up in costumes that look like a particular female body part, who talk about their owners' sex lives from a different perspective. It's not only disgusting and immoral, but it's unnatural and degrading to women.