An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Stood Up To Some Seniors Today....

VeraMaria

By the way, my tongue literally has a hole in it from biting it so much. Because today some people were speaking against the Church in the libarary, and I SO ANGRY, my hands were shaking, and then I was clamping the book so hard my knuckles were white....(you don't EVER want to hear the things they said) and i was biting my tongue....(I knew thatr if i went over there at the moment i'd be too angry to talk calmly and i'd just lash out at them...the people making fun of the Church were seniors, i'm a freshman. But with a quick decision i stood up and told them calmly that i'd happily clear up a couple of misconceptions about the Church....one of them just sneered and pushed me to the floor, the other looked as though he was impresed and doubtfully asked me what I meant. The other one walked away, sneering, but the one who was interested stayed with me for a whille, and i'd explain a couple of things to him, and he was amazed ("That DOES make sense!"), but mostly he still looked doubtful, (I'm not a genius at explaining things....), So I just went to the RELIGION section of the school library, found a catechism of the catholic Church, and gave it to him, saying that he could flip through it if he liked. He sneered at me and pushed me away, but I later saw him pick it up and check it out....just thought that was interesting....

Now all my new friends (I've only been in high school for two weeks) think i'm a freak, that i'm completely weird, and the story has beentold around the school, and i'm getting cold and nasty looks form some people (not everyone, though) and even more brutal treatment from seniors (some catually purposefully pushed me down a pair of slippery stairs, and my books went scattering all over, i'm hurting all over....they sneered something like "retarded Papist" (never heard that word before... :huh: ) one of them had a shirt on that said Baptist Youth or something....that's not how Christians treat each other!). It's quite hard to stand up for your faith, i tell you that, and i don't feel like a did anything, and i just felt like posting this, i don't know why....had a horrible day.....

I just feel like a failure today (OK, that's enough, Vera, don't make this a gloom-and-doom feel-sorry-for-yourself thread.....)

God bless you for your courage.!!!!!!

It takes a lot of guts to stand up for God.

Do you think you should report people touching you, or would that make it worse?

What were they talking about?

Do you have any Catholic teachers?

Where you live? I'll buy a gun and blow them all away for you.

PS: Sorry, but I'm in a very angry mood.

Edited by Paladin D

God Bless you!!! And rejoice! You are recieving what followers of Jesus are suppose to recieve! They are ignorant, and thats normal for non-catholics. God is in you. Some people fear that, therefore they attack or make fun. You did a good job. They also sound immature.

Edited by Mc-Just†

VeraMaria,

I think you had an amesome day! You are tough, and I'm impressed. Yeah, people sneer and jeer, but just saying things can be laying a single brick for a future foundation of Faith. You did great!

And being able to get one to even listen for a minute is fantastic. You must be good! Get proud of what you accomplished, I'm positive God is, and rest assured, I'm very proud of you!

You go girl!

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven.

(Matthew 5:11,12)

Rock on. Stay strong.

Where you live? I'll buy a gun and blow them all away for you.

That's not a good thing to say, especially today.

-Mark

You know, the Italian mob are Catholic... (but major hypocrits), why don't you call for their help?

You are part Italian...right? :lol:

God bless you for your courage.!!!!!!

It takes a lot of guts to stand up for God.

Do you think you should report people touching you, or would that make it worse?

What were they talking about?

Do you have any Catholic teachers?

No courage here, just anger..... :(:(

Reporting it would just make things worse, and half the school is already against me, so why make it worse?

They were saying the most nasty stuff about the Pope, priests, Mary, Jesus (and I mean DIRTY humor, BLACK humor), but targeting especially ("those crazy lunatics") Catholics.

I go to a public school, many of the students at my school are Jewish.....so some teachers are also.....but I don't think I have any Catholic teachers :( .

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven.

(Matthew 5:11,12)

Rock on. Stay strong.

That's not a good thing to say, especially today.

-Mark

You're right, forgot it was 9/11. :ph34r:

Where you live?  I'll buy a gun and blow them all away for you.

PS: Sorry, but I'm in a very angry mood.

Thnaks, Paladin! I appreciate it, but it's not necessary!!

For most of you this probably sems like the teeniest tinyest High School problem you can imagine.....sorry i'm making a big deal out of this....i don't have anyone to talk to....my parents wouldn't be too sympathetic.... :(

Thy Geekdom Come

Wow...you have some real jerks in your school...

I've deal with apologetics for a few years now. I've heard people say that we worship the pope, that Mary was raped, that Jesus was homosexual, that the Eucharist was a "death-cookie", that there are three gods. I've had people call me a drunk (because I'm an Irish Catholic) and I've had people offer to burn my rosary.

It's very unfortunate that we are subjected to such hatred in this country. And why is it? Originally, I think it was that people didn't want someone telling them what they need to believe and how they need to act. So, they rebelled against the pope, found a few doctrines to pick at, and started their ways into heresy and schism.

However, I think most of the hatred now comes from the propaganda that has been boiling over for years out of the fundamentalist brew. Parents, teachers, ministers, politicians, and the media all teach the children of this world about how evil Catholics are.

It's an outrage.

Give the one that was interested this link:

Catholic Outlook

Thnaks, Paladin! I appreciate it, but it's not necessary!!

For most of you this probably sems like the teeniest tinyest High School problem you can imagine.....sorry i'm making a big deal out of this....i don't have anyone to talk to....my parents wouldn't be too sympathetic.... :(

On the contrary, it was my biggest problem last year at my high school. Even though I go to a Catholic High School, students there are (for the most part) intolerant towards most religions. When I got back from my very first retreat in the fall of 2002, I wanted to scream from the mountaintops that Jesus Christ is King forever! Well, I did the modern-day high school equivalent of that. It made me even less popular than I already was among the "top class" of the social scale. I started wishing they'd just make fun of the way I looked or the way I talked instead of what religion I followed. Recently I was asked if my cross necklace was my "bling-bling". They then asked what my scapular was and snickered when I told them it was for protection. I've been asked, "Why don't you sing us some church songs, Mark?" and "Hey Mark, if Jesus and John the Baptist got in a fight but Jesus didn't use His powers, who do you think would win?" and then, "If Jesus got in a fight with you, do you think you'd win?"

I go to Melbourne Central Catholic High School, where the most important word in that title is "High", and you are placed on the social heirarchy based on how full your backpack and how far your shorts extend below your knees (or for the girls, above your knees). People say they're Catholic because it's $2000 less for tuition that way.

-Mark

What pisses me off, is how Catholic Schools (from what I hear) are filled with arrogant idiots. Why doesn't the Church do something about this?

VeraMaria,

You are a living Saint. You give me courage. Thank you. I'm utterly speachless at your selflessness and humility, your heroism.

The Lord has done some great things through you. Be happy and rejoice. For sure your suffering will not be in vain.

God bless! :)

VeraMaria,

You are a living Saint.  You give me courage.  Thank you.  I'm utterly speachless at your selflessness and humility, your heroism.

The Lord has done some great things through you.  Be happy and rejoice.  For sure your suffering will not be in vain.

God bless!  :)

Hey Jake, I'm about to kill you!

No heroism here, and CERTAINLY NO LIVING SAINT!!! I can't even stand up for my faith properly, for Pete's sake!!