An Old School Catholic Message Board

(insert Their Name) Back Yard Ministries

Cure of Ars

Have you ever heard a Christian say that they do not need to go to church? That they are Christian but the only church that they belong to is (insert their name) back yard ministries. They make comments that they can be spiritual without meaningless rituals and that they follow Jesus in their own way.

My basic response is that I go to Mass because I follow Christ. And Christ said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." (1 Cor 11:24) And this is what we do at Mass. Christianity is not an individualistic religion. It is not about me and Jesus but about we and Jesus. I then quote Hebrews 10:25 which says, “We should not stay away from our assembly, as is the custom of some, but encourage one another, and this all the more as you see the day drawing near.”

I think that the main reason that people reject organized religion is because they want to be in control. God and religion can conform to them instead of the other way around. As Christians we should always be striving to repent, submit, and conform ourselves to Christ because he is God. But the logic of, “Better to rule in hell, than serve in heaven.” is more attractive to some.

Oh yes, I've heard Christians (including some Catholics!) say they don't need to go to Church. The next time I hear someone say that, I'll be sure to use your response (hope you don't mind :P )! And yes, people want to conform God to their lives rather than conform their lives to God. You're so right, Cure.

You know, my mom is almost the same way. She likes church, but she doesn't see it's an actually necessary for deeply spiritual people to attend. Unless they preach.

Edited by Paladin D

You know, my mom is almost the same way.  She likes church, but she doesn't see it's an actually necessary for deeply spiritual people to attend.  Unless they preach.

Unless you attend how do you know you are deeply spiritual?

We do not go to Mass for our benefit, but as our duty towards God.

WE owe him reverence, adoration and praise.

ReformationNow

So you mean that my attending the 'Church of Will' is wrong? Even tho 100% of my members(me) show up, and we always get 10% of our congregations(my) income. I have to go to real church now?

lol.

Oops. I posted the same thing twice. Ignore this one, 'cause it's not supposed to be here. But in case you don't ignore it, I like peanut butter and chocolate sandwiches.

Edited by ReformationNow

ReformationNow

So you mean that my attending the 'Church of Will' is wrong? Even tho 100% of my members(me) show up, and we always get 10% of our congregations(my) income. I have to go to real church now?

lol.

You know what gets me? Some of the people your talking about are from churches that are only a couple hundred years old, and they act like they know more than 2000 years of Christian history. Or the people who dont go to church yet claim to be lead by the Holy spirit when they read their Kjv's. I think this also has somthing to do with the Gospel of Thomas (Gnostic, I think). There's a verse that says we dont need a church building, that we alone are the temples of God. Therefore we dont need to go to church. But that's wrong and it contradicts the Bible, because Jesus built a "Ekklesia" An authoritive and governing Church, a Visible Church and if we want salvation we must go.

Edited by Mc-Just†

We do not go to Mass for our benefit, but as our duty towards God.

Yet, although we do it as our duty towards God, it is in fact for our benefit. That's why God wished it to be!

Same thing as avoiding sin. We do it as a duty toward our God. But God wishes us to avoid sin, because it is for our benefit! Father knows best.

Yet, although we do it as our duty towards God, it is in fact for our benefit.  That's why God wished it to be!

Same thing as avoiding sin.  We do it as a duty toward our God.  But God wishes us to avoid sin, because it is for our benefit!  Father knows best.

yep, the fringe benefits of obedience.

actually, we do go to mass just for our benefit. God doesn't need our duty... he's GOD. It would be silly to go to mass just to be dutiful. We go so that God can bestow His graces on us.

The main reason for going to Mass should be because we love Jesus. This really should be the main reason.

To go because of duty because God deserves our worship or because we get grace are good reasons and it is probably were we all start but total love of God should be the motivating factor in the end. If we get to this point then by definition we will be saints.

well well,

many people don't like organised religion because it's full of hypocrites and people that are very quick to judge others.

I know my church is.

well well,

many people don't like organised religion because it's full of hypocrites and people that are very quick to judge others.

I know my church is.

Your right but you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. ;)