An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vain & Repetitious Prayer

StColette

Excellent. And Kudos, I've had the arguement thrown at me. I was taught that refutation of that arguement is that it is against vain and repetitius prayer to pagan idols, who do not answer. Yours however, seems clearer, and can be prove using the bible. Some prots don't even care to use logic, because it isn't in the bible >.< So ty.

God bless,

Mikey

[quote]If one were to continue to pray always without becoming weary would this not be a repetitious prayer? In fact it would be, because you would be continuously asking for the same request. It would be, for example, when all Christians pray for the end of abortion. Most of us pray for this daily, is this not repetition? But in fact it is not in "vain" that this repetitive plea is said. This once again shows that in Mt. 6:7 the emphasis on praying is put rather on "vain" than on "repetition".[/quote]

I liked the rest of the proposition, but I think that you committed a fallacy with your first question.

What I mean is that you supose that only a repetitious prayer can be weary.

For example, in my own exprienence long ad lib public prayer is way more wearisome then the many decades of the Rosary. [esp. the pharse Lord I just x3] In fact it is the habitual repition in the rosary that allows my imagination to pray also.

And when there is repetition in the usual protestant prayer, it is the repetition in the Ad Lib prayers that seems vain to me, taking away the necessary simplicity in public prayer.

Also I do not think that the average protestant would say that asking God everyday for something that Mathew refers to here.

I think that it would be good to recall an example of the Tibetan prayer wheels, which are spun as a prayer, with out any any mental connection, as if the wheels are praying over and over again.

I am sorry for busting your bubble.

I did think that it is really good, and I can see your point with in the quote, but I think that you should shore up this arguement.

Guest JeffCR07

while I think Theoketos makes a good point (which I agree with) I think the rest of the post does a good job arguing the catholic position

lol no probs guys I always accept critiques, lol believe me I've had worse ;) lol I just read that part that you pointed out Theoketos and you're right lol I meant to go at it from a different angle but in my haste bouched it lol hehe

Edited by StColette

okay I can't edit my post lol but my typo of " bouched" is driving me nuts lol I have to correct myself **botched**

franciscanheart

i've made the arguement before with friends
never known how to back it up though

thanks jennie. very helpful.

franciscanheart

awesome.... dont know if ill make it tonight to read it but ill def read it after my test....

man ive been searching so long for answers to this one.... and look, there they are!