An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rainbows..

Jake Huether

Genesis 9:13

I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.

Okay - now, for those of you who don't know the Bible... This sentance comes AFTER the creation of the earth, the sun, et al.

So now...

If rainbow's only began to happen AFTER the flood. Then tell me what was different BEFORE the flood to prevent rainbows from happening.

For those who are scientifically inclined, you would know that rainbows happen due to sunlight passing through rain droplets (or after rain - moisture droplets), and being reflected into its different spectra of light (i.e. different wavelengths = different relection angle = different color).

So, if rainbows didn't happen before - something should be different.

1) Light was different... there was only one wavelength - therefore, humans up untill Noah, didn't see in color.

2) Water was different, therefore, up until Noah, light didn't relfect through it the same.

3) Our eyes were different - we couldn't see in color.

4) Maybe it just never rained, and no one ever wattered their lawns, etc. Highly unlikely.

5) God just didn't let rainbows happen until then (+ he knew that Einstien and Newton, et al, wouldn't even be born yet. Them early folk were trying to figure out how to start fire, they couldn't be bothered with atomic physics!).

6) other...

I go with 5, but then again... Who really knows.

What are your thoughts?

Jake, that's something I honestly never thought of until you brought that up. Now my poor simple mind is going to have to work overtime. :( See what you started???!!! :angry:

:lol: J/K!!

Seriously, though, I'd say 5 would be the most likely response. But as you said, who really knows?

Jake,

my answer would be number 4. Remember that there was a "firmament" of water between the earth and the heavens that collapsed during the flood. I've heard that this firmament contributed to the "rain forest" like conditions that allowed the dinosaurs to live. Of course this is all speculative science at best, but just my $.02

peace...

I'd actually go with 6) other:

I think rainbows happenned before then, just that God pointed it out specifically to Noah and made them a symbol of our covenant with Him.

it didn't rain...

water came from underground springs

Gen 7:11 When Noah was six hundred years old, on the seventeenth day of the second month all the outlets of the vast body of water beneath the earth burst open, all the floodgates of the sky were opened,

i reckon

yeh I was going to say what Steve said. Up until the flood, it had never rained before. hhahaha can u just imagine all those people who mocked noah?

"Dude, what r u doing?"

"It's gonna rain real hard soon man, then there will be a flood..."

"Rain? What on earth is RAIN?"

"Dude...i donno man..."

ok, if it didn't rain on earth for the hundreds (thousands?) of years before Noah, the earth would be like, barren. And so where are these underground springs today?

it didn't rain...

water came from underground springs

Gen 7:11  When Noah was six hundred years old, on the seventeenth day of the second month all the outlets of the vast body of water beneath the earth burst open, all the floodgates of the sky were opened,

i reckon

steve,

"the floodgates of the sky were opened" means what if not "dude, it rained, like, a whole lot"?

Willguy

sorry... i don't understand that sentence...

anyway... how much faith did the guy have...

no1 knew what a boat was, no1 new what rain was...

and he spent a hundred years building a boat because it was going to rain.