An Old School Catholic Message Board

Objective Dreams = Sin?

Paladin D

Question, would "objective" type dreams be considered a sin? Like in some sexual related scene?

Since these are inDouche our "thoughts", wouldn't it be considered a sin?

I don't think that subconcious thoughts are controlled by the will. So if we do not "will" that they occur, then there is one particular requisit that is not met in order for it to be a sin (at least a mortal one).

Jake is correct; however, if you're asleep and you have a dream about something sexual-related, then because it's subconscious and not something you can control, then I'd say it's not a sin of any kind.

However, if you deliberately looked at something explicit before going to bed, and you later dreamed about it, then yes, sin would be present. However, the sin would lie not in the dream, but in the looking at something you shouldn't be looking at.

how about sexual fantasies when you look at other girls. Like they just pop into your head. And you try to get rid of them. You dont act on these fantasies of course and you dont look at pictures or masterbate but you are just walking somewhere and you see a girl and then the pictures appear.

how about sexual fantasies when you look at other girls. Like they just pop into your head. And you try to get rid of them. You dont act on these fantasies of course and you dont look at pictures or masterbate but you are just walking somewhere and you see a girl and then the pictures appear.

If you stop fighting the fantasies, open the door of your mind, and let them in, then yes, you're sinning. But as long as you valiantly fight them, there's no sin.

I have recently spoken to a Priest about this... sinning in a dream is not a sin.

Something that has helped me in my dreams keep from sinning, is that saying the Rosary often, and saying a Hail Mary every now and then, especially when you see something bad, you get into a habit of praying at the time of temptation...

I've had some dreams about some serious temptations and in my dream started saying Hail Mary's... it helped.

God Bless,

ironmonk

Mat 5:27 "You have heard that it was said, 'You must not commit adultery.'

Mat 5:28 But I say to you, anyone who stares at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

It's the same as actually performing what those images suggest.

Thank God for his grace.

No, I doubt it. Dreams are simply the mind ordering thoughts and feelings from the day and past experiences, therefore, they just are themselves gibberish with nothing in relation to your free will. I mean, the majority of our dreams we will not remember, so what if we dreamed we involved ourselves in a big dirty orgy, and then never remembered it, if it was a sin, and we never went to recognicilation then we may be in a bit of bother when we face God with this "sin" on our hearts.

So, no.

But it's weird, I too have started praying in my dreams. I was dying in one dream and started praying the Hail Mary.

However, with that said, I do beleive that God gives us messages through even the most "foul" of dreams.

hyperdulia again

I just realized what word "objective" replaced, no they aren't a sin. Mortal sin must be chosen with the full consent of your will towards committing an act. Dreams of the type you referred to perform a necessary physical function, they are involuntary so they aren't eve3n venially sinfully.

Question, would "objective" type dreams be considered a sin? Like in some sexual related scene?

ACTUALLY, I asked a priest that exact question once and he said if we're sleeping than it's not a sin. I'm talking about actually sleeping--not daydreaming at school. THAT would definitely be a sin.

If your sleeping it means nothing! It says so in the Book of Sirach.

it states "If the dream did not come from God (Divinly Inspired) it means nothing, so don't worry about it. For if its something like a sexual dream, it clearly is not from God, for he does not ask you to sin.