An Old School Catholic Message Board

About My Expierence With The Eucharist

Paladin D

From the age of 11 to like 13, I attended a Catholic Church (though I was never an official member).

But since my parents were baptised Catholic (and also got confirmation), they were allowed to partake in Communion. Ignorant to the teachings of their own faith that they grew up on (which they don't follow much anymore), my parents let us take Communion.

We (as the young children we were) didn't know the teachings of the Eucharist. However...I did notice how the Mass focused a great deal on it. I never really knew why, in my mind...I was thinking...

"They spend almost half the mass on the Eucharist? Why others do not?"

...but ever since I turned 16 (in January), and did my own study on the teachings of the Catholic Church, I saw the importance of the Eucharist.

However, this is a somewhat question I have...

When I partook of the Bread and Wine, I don't recall a drastic difference, compared to when I took communion from Protestant mass. However, I did feel a slight difference...as if it was more important in some way. (Btw, I don't remember much about my thoughts on taking Communion back then, I tend to forget details of my past expierences sometimes)

If I knew the importance of the Eucharist, would've I felt different?

When I was still ignorant, should I have felt different?

However, thinking it over now...I may have the answer I was looking for (correct me of I'm wrong). Since I was not officially part of the Catholic Church (nor hardly did I know any of it's teachings), and since I was most likely at most of those times (out of ignorance, and the teachings of the Church) in the state of Mortal Sin...would God have shed His mercy upon me...so I wouldn't have actually defiled Him?

Maybe somehow, the effects did not show...because I was ignorant of it's importance and out of ignorance...most likely in the state of Mortal Sin?

Just thought I bring this up.

Edited by Paladin D

Paladin,

No matter what, normally, there is no "feeling" (like a beam of light and a choir singing in the background). It is spiritual nourishment, and our spirit isn't really directly connected to our 5 senses. We can develope our spiritual feelings, and that is an excellent thing to do! Prayer and fasting help. Spiritual feelings are different though - like when you see a beautiful girl and want to lust, but then you "feel" the "voice" in you screaming NO NO NO! If you develope enough in this way, then when you eat and drink Christ's Body and Blood, you can "feel" your spirit screaming YES YES YES!

Purly physically however, you will not really know a difference in eating bread and eating Chrsits Body in the Eucharist. Just like our sight cannot tell the difference, neither can out touch, smell, or tast! But our spirit and soul CAN tell the difference. When you were younger, you were most probably less spiritually mature - therefore, you wouldn't be able to "feel" the spiritual difference. But as you grow in spiritual awareness (which incidentally is NECESSARY for effective spiritual warfare) you will tell the difference.

As a side note: Mature and devout wiccans (real witches), and Satanists can tell the difference between a concecrated and unconcecrated host. Many times they try to take the Body of Christ (without consuming it), for satanic practices which defile His Body. We think of "spiritually" aware as being pure and holy. But those devoted to the Evil One can also be very spiritually aware. That is why we, as Church militant, must develope this as well.

Paladin,

E-Mail Fr. Pontifex to make sure, but I don't think you could even remotely have been in a state of Mortal Sin because you were ignorant of the wrogness of the act. Check out the thread on masturbation where Fr. P spells out that a Mortal sin must be:

-A grave matter

-You must know it is wrong

-You do it anyway with full consent of will

From your post, it seems that yes, it is a grave matter, but you didn't know it was wrong (or should have known) and you are being respectful of your parents direction and example.

As far as feeling different. Grace is mysterious. It is given to us regardless of our understanding, but when we do understand, we are more open and more apt (but not neccessarily) to feel the effects of Grace.

Count it as a Blessing and give thanks to God.

Edited by jasJis

There is a "feeling" that I have felt since I have walked into any Catholic Church (I first noticed it when I walked into Chartres Cathedral). Its not like any normal feeling, the closest thing I can compare it to is an overwhelming peace. Like I could go to sleep in front of the tabernacle and be perfectly safe and happy for the rest of my life.

As far as receiving the Eucharist goes, I don't "feel" anything earthshattering. HOWEVER, usually during the consecration, and after receiving, I get that sense of spiritual peace. A lot of times I will start to cry. For the years where I went to a Catholic Church but did not receive, I could spiritually feel Jesus' presence in the Eucharist.

The first time I ever went to adoration, it was by accident. I had only been going to the Catholic Church for half a year, and it was a Friday. Jared was co-oping, and was not in Auburn. I was absolutely exhuasted. I went to Toomer's Corner to my bank to get some money for the weekend. My full intention was to go back to my dorm and fall asleep on my bed and sleep for the whole afternoon. The Catholic Church in Auburn is a good block from Toomer's Corner. So after I am done at the bank, I have this strange urge to go to church. Keep in mind, at this point I am completely drained. I was as mentally and physically tired as I ever remember. Well, after I walk out of the bank I have this urge to go to church (I had no idea that Adoration was going on) I heard in my head an argument (the only time in my life I've had one of those angel/devil moments). There was some force that did NOT want me to go into that church. Feeling that, I headed straight there. So I open the door to the Church, and there in front of me is my Lord and Savior. I dropped to my knees and just sat that way for a while. I could not stop crying. I had never been so at peace and so happy in my life. That day Jesus revealed Himself to me in the Eucharist.

The "feeling" I get from the Eucharist is almost like a spiritual kiss. It is most precious. But it is nothing like the feeling you get at a rock concert or anything like that. It is hard to describe.

That feeling is Pure Love. And you can only feel It if you are aware of It. Jesus walked in the midst of many. His Love could save them all. Yet, many didn't recongnize Him, and others even despised Him.

That same Jesus Christ is Truly Present to us under the appearance of bread and wine in the Most Blessed Sacrament.

O Sacrament Most Holy, O Sacrament Divine. All praise and all thanksgiving be every moment Thine!

Pax Christi <><

A great priest once told me, "If we really believed what happens on that altar, we would all be at Mass daily." I first started to go to daily Mass as a freshman in college. Since then, the worst days are when I can't get to Mass. How lucky many of us are to be able to go to daily Mass and receive our Lord everyday. There are many places in the world where daily, and even Sunday, Mass attendance is not possible. Give thanks for the gifts you have been given!