An Old School Catholic Message Board

Did Judas Go To Hell?

White Knight

White Knight

Ok, Judas killed himself before Jesus Died on the Cross the very same day, now my question is, Could he have been forgiven and maybe had Salvation or did he go straight to Hell, after he died?

This Question makes me wonder.

Anyway, Scripture would be a nice supporter, of your opinion or what facts one may reprise.

Guest JeffCR07

I happen to think that he went to Hell, as it at least seems that Christ prophesied his eternal torment, however, as we do not know for certain, and we have no way of knowing whether or not he repented the sin of suicide at the moment of dead, we can always hope for his salvation.

- Your Brother In Christ, Jeff

the only people we know the eternal fate of are the cannonized saints

we don't know any specific person is damned to hell

i tend to aggree with Jeff, it seems apparent that he went to hell.

but we don't know, he could have been saved or somethin, but it's highly unlikely

again, though, nothing is impossible with God

Id say he went to hell for the following reasons:

- He took a bribe for a man's life
- He betrayed Jesus
- He committed suicide

Theres no way he could have gone to heaven.

However you do feel for the man, and what he must have went through prior to hanging himself, but this still doesnt justify suicide.

yeah, Deicide plus suicide without asking for forgiveness of it...

unless he had one of those secret 11th hour conversions just as he was falling with the rope around his neck

It is a good question. Something that I have wondered at one time or another.

Excerpt from HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Jesus The Christ pg 81

INTERVIEWER: Do you forgive Judas?

GOD: Is there any reason why I shouldn't? Try to UNDERSTAND that GOD does not hold any bitter grudges or vengeful desires against any soul. Given the circumstances of the man they called Judas and the time he lived and the situation he was involved in, his actions may have seemed justifiable to him at that moment. I make no excuses for Judas nor do I harbor any hate for him or anyone. If YOU could only see the Universe through MY eyes and the UNDERSTANDING of MY soul, YOU will realize I could not pass judgment on any creations of the Universe.

Yeah, I agree with the mainstream anwers. We Cannot judge whether a person is in Hell or not. Even if a person commits suicide now we cannot know what was going through his head before his last breath. We also don't know what happened in his life that God saw but not us.

I think it would be amusing if you got to Heaven and this was what happened:

"You're Peter, right?"

"No, Judas, but I get that a lot."

(Not to say that Peter isn't in Heaven . . . the point was that it would be amusing to get there and realize that God's grace is so powerful that even Judas was saved).

As an optimist, I hope that Judas was saved and believe there's reason to hope that he was saved, even at the last minute. Jesus' suffering was for Judas as it was for everyone else, and no doubt Our Lady was also praying for Judas. It's entirely possible that just as her intercession has brought even the worst of sinners to conversion, often times last minute, her intercession may also have brought Judas to conversion. I hope when and if I get to Heaven, he's there and God pleasantly surprises me by telling me that Hell is empty except for Satan and his demons.

There's reason to hope for this, because there's eternal hope in God; of course, the hope that God may have kept Hell empty by His grace shouldn't hinder us from faithfully following Him -- it's a hope, not a sure thing.

[quote name='MorphRC' date='Aug 22 2004, 01:46 AM']
Theres no way he could have gone to heaven.

[/quote]
Everything is possible with God, even the forgiveness of Judas.