An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Flesh Of Man.

McSockPuppet

In John, Chapter 6 it talks rather extensivley about eating of the flesh of man, and drinking his blood..(The Eucherist) But my question is:

1. In the beging of John,(I think) it says "the word was made flesh." So really, if you read the word....aren't you consumuing his flesh?

2. So How do we try and back up the Eucherist from this section?

My second question is:

Since we (the Catholic Church) believe this about consuming the flesh, and having eternal life because of this (in part) what about the Protestants?

I hope this is clear. Also lets get another thing clear. I am 100% Catholic, I follow the Church's doctrine, as best as I can, and I truley believe in the power of the Eucherist.

In John, Chapter 6 it talks rather extensivley about eating of the flesh of man, and drinking his blood..(The Eucherist) But my question is:

1. In the beging of John,(I think) it says "the word was made flesh." So really, if you read the word....aren't you consumuing his flesh?

My second question is:

Since we (the Catholic Church) believe this about consuming the flesh, and having eternal life because of this (in part) what about the Protestants?

I hope this is clear. Also lets get another thing clear. I am 100% Catholic, I follow the Church's doctrine, as best as I can, and I truley believe in the power of the Eucherist.

Well, there are a couple points.

1) the Bible is only the written word of God. It is the written account of Jesus, the Word. But the written acount is only a part of Jesus, the Word. As Catholics we hold True the fact that the Word is made manifest through the Scriptures, written, and through Tradition, in the Church. Therefore, if we read the written word we are not entirely "eating" the "Word made flesh".

2) Even if you could draw a comparison between the Written word and Jesus' Flesh, you still would have to parallel EATING and reading. Jesus would have had to say, "unless you READ my flesh..." for that theory to make sense. No, Jesus explicitly states EAT. So, you cannot say that when you READ the written word, you are EATING Christ Body and Blood.

3) **Okay so now it's more than a couple points** You wouldn't be able to reconsile Paul's letter to the Corinthians, where he talks about them eating the Body of Christ unworthily. So, then you would have to try and convince us that they were reading the Bible unworthily... And in case someone here isn't in tune, the fact of the matter is, there existed no such thing as the "Bible". In fact, there was no difinitive, complete, written Word until 400AD.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

I look forword to others comments.

Oh yeah... And the second question...

Rrrrr. We can only put our trust in the Mercy of God. For those who know the truth, it is inevitable. But for those who are invincably (sp) ignorant, I'm not sure what God's plans are.

The begining of John. Interesting idea, just doesnt tie together all right.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, the same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made. In him was life: and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness: and the darkness did not comprehend it. ....... That was the true light, which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world. He was in the world: and the world was made by him: and the world knew him not. He came into his own, and his own reveived him not.But as many as reveived him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name. Who are born, not of blood, nor of the will of flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

AND THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH AND DWELT AMONG US

Jesus Christ is the Word of God. He is the very person of the word of God.

The Bible is the written word of God. The written word of God did not become flesh, although the written word of God is part of the Word of God (which is why Jesus quoted scripture so much, it was a part of Him)

and so Jesus became flesh and dwelt among us. People received him in the flesh, whether into their lives or their hearts or their houses. and it says of these people who received Him in the flesh, "He gave them power to made the sons of God" "to them who believe in His Name"

thus those who recieved Him while in the flesh, if they believe in His name, are given the power to become sons of God.

look at 2 John 1:7

"For many seducers are gone out into the world who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a seducer and an antichrist."

an antichrist in the world denies that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. not saying protestants are the antichrist, im just sayin that the antichrist has seduced them into denying this. For in John 6 Christ talks about his coming down from heaven as the manna in the desert. This is when He makes the statement that He is come from heaven, He is not created. He ties it in, and says the true manna is His flesh. There, he has made the statement the He is come in the flesh.

anyway, simple answer you would prolly rather see than read all this crazy rambling, the Word it talks of that became flesh in John is Jesus Christ. The Bible didn't become flesh, although the Bible is embedded in the flesh of the Word, which is why the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist are celebrated together.

and here we go to you're second question :lol: B) im bein really long, aren't I?

We believe that without eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Jesus Christ, you have no life within you. But for those who have been reading the menu all their lives (THe Bible) the meal is known by their hearts, and when they die their soul will be drawn to the banquet, for they will recognize the written word embedded in the flesh, and they shall be entered into Heaven through the Eucharist. (if they're in the state of grace and have gone through baptism and such)

anyway, hope that helps. Hope it's not too long. Peace of the Eucharistic Christ be with you

My second question is:

Verse 1

"In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

This is a poem that is the prologue to the Gospel of John.

The word in verse one refers to Jesus before he took on human flesh as Jesus" God the Only-begotten. Jesus is the Word from the beginning.

So this is not the same as the word on a page.

Verse1 4"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth, we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son of the Father.

This is God becoming man : the incarnation. THe greek used for "to dwell among us" meands to pitch one's tent and reminds us of the ark of the Covanant among the jews. Grace and truth are attributes of Yahweh.

THe protestants believe Communion is a symbol, not a reality. So it has no life for them.

I like that first question and would answer it if it hadn't already been covered extensively by those wiser than I am.

Interesting thought though:

We consume the WORD when we eat the eucharist. Jesus in His entirety. Because we affirm by partaking that we believe in Scripture and Tradition than we are doing this doubly.

I also always wonder whether or not the first "eucharist" was when Elijah? (I'm not sure exactly which prophet is is, either Elijah Ezekial or Jeremiah, I am WAY too tired to look it up sorry) eats the scroll that God writes on. Wouldn't this be eating the WORD of GOD? Just an intersting thing to ponder.

I also always wonder whether or not the first "eucharist" was when Elijah? (I'm not sure exactly which prophet is is, either Elijah Ezekial or Jeremiah, I am WAY too tired to look it up sorry) eats the scroll that God writes on. Wouldn't this be eating the WORD of GOD? Just an intersting thing to ponder.

Nah... Good thought. But I don't think so.

Written word isn't Jesus' flesh. Jesus' flesh and blood are inDouche the "Word", but it is the WORD MADE FLESH. Not the WORD IN WRITTEN FORM.

Jesus is the Word made flesh. Scripture is the Word of God on paper.

The Eucharist is the Word made flesh, not the Word on paper.

If one could consider Scripture the Eucharist, then why didn't Jesus pass out pages from the Septuguant (sp), at the Last Supper, and say "take, eat. This is my Body, which will be given up for you."

The Bible is the word, but it isn't the Word made Flesh. The Word made Flesh died for us, and gave us His Flesh as the Life of the World. The Scriptures are the Word of God on paper. The Bible itself has no body, no blood, no Soul, and though it's origins/interpritation are divine, the paper and ink are not.

In order for one to even start to consider "eating the Scripture" as eating the Word of God we have to look at a few things.

When we consume the Eucharist, we consume Jesus - The ENTIRE WORD OF GOD. Therefore, in order to compare, if we rip one page out of the Bible and eat it, we are not eating the ENTIRE WORD of God, only a mere fraction. In order for us to consume the ENTIRE WORD, as we do in the Eucharist, one would have to eat the entire Bible, and then all the docs. that describe Sacred Tradition. But even if you did that, all you would have cosumed would be paper and ink, because the Word of God expressed in the Bible is only the Word of God in content - in interpritation. The medium isn't the WORD, it is the expression, the ideas, the thoughts, it is what the ink and paper covey.

true enough, true enough.

I'm just picturing this rennaissance piece of art by Raphael, the Last Supper, and instead of bread the apostles are eating newspapers!

If one could consider Scripture the Eucharist, then why didn't Jesus pass out pages from the Septuguant (sp), at the Last Supper, and say "take, eat. This is my Body, which will be given up for you."

... Something I've never forgotten from the passages in the NT, is, concerning the two Diciples on the road to Emmaus, these two were fed the Word of Scipture and interpreted for absolute clarity directly from the Master/Author/Word Himself.

Yet, it was in the Blessing and Breaking the Bread (as He had done three days ealier) that their eyes were opened and they saw Jesus. Only after did they recall how their hearts burned listening to the Lord.

Running off to relate their experience to the 11 they state how their eyes were opened in the Breaking of the Bread or Eucharist not by hearing the interpreted Word by Jesus Himself. Scripture inDouche sets the heart on fire yet it's in the Blessed Bread He is seen.

Peace of Christ, Ken