An Old School Catholic Message Board

**> Im Converting.....again.. <**

MorphRC

daugher-of-Mary

Morph,
I don't think James meant any offense! He's right..take it slowly. As for the cultural side, make sure you experience that first hand. If you don't grow up with it (I didn't), it can be quite a shock. Be prepared to hear a lot about "the old country" and familiarize yourself with words such as pierogie, halushki, and halupki. ;)

The spiritual side...the East certainly has a lot of beauty to offer! Again, experience it first hand. If you do decide to seriously pursue changing Rites, the diocese is likely to put you through a lot of waiting anyway, so use the time to make sure you are making the right decision. Go to Liturgy, Matins, Presanctified Liturgy during the Great Fast, talk with the pastor, etc.

Good luck and God bless you!

Morph, I doubt you will find an Easter Bishop who will let you just switch Rites. Frist of all, it has to be approved by your current Latin Rite Bishop and then approved by your Eastern Rite Bishop.

Most Eastern Rite bishops are very cautious against allowing Latin Catholics to switch Rites beacuase they are usually doing it for all of the wrong reasons. Love of the Eastern Liturgy is not enough.

If you are serious about this, find yourself an Eastern Rite parish and start attending and talking to the priest. My friends switched and the whole process took them 5 years.

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Aug 29 2004, 03:23 AM'] Morph,
I don't think James meant any offense! He's right..take it slowly. As for the cultural side, make sure you experience that first hand. If you don't grow up with it (I didn't), it can be quite a shock. Be prepared to hear a lot about "the old country" and familiarize yourself with words such as pierogie, halushki, and halupki. ;)

The spiritual side...the East certainly has a lot of beauty to offer! Again, experience it first hand. If you do decide to seriously pursue changing Rites, the diocese is likely to put you through a lot of waiting anyway, so use the time to make sure you are making the right decision. Go to Liturgy, Matins, Presanctified Liturgy during the Great Fast, talk with the pastor, etc.

Good luck and God bless you! [/quote]
ok thx