An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking And Ciggarettes...

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Should smoking ciggarettes be illegal?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kilroy the Ninja

I don't think cigarettes or smoking should be illegal. I think the tobacco companies should not be allowed to put chemicals in with the tobacco.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Aug 28 2004, 01:49 PM'] I don't think cigarettes or smoking should be illegal. I think the tobacco companies should not be allowed to put chemicals in with the tobacco. [/quote]
Never thought about it that way. WHen I think of ciggarettes, I just think of the ciggs that sell in stores, with all those deadly toxics in them.

whooops!!! i thought it sed should smoking cigarrets be leagal- so i put no

so if it sed should smoking cigarrettes be illegal- my answer is yes

its bad for you- plain an simple- slow form of suicide

Kilroy the Ninja

Yeah, those are the ones I think they should change. I understand that nicotine in and of itself is addicting, but I truly believe it's all the other chemicals that go into making the tobacco "burn" just right or taste a certain way that are the true culprits (as far as making smoke just down right horrible). Do you know what they put in "menthol" cigarettes to make the menthol taste? It's not mint (which is where natural menthol comes from), nope, its [i]fiberglass[/i]. Let me say that again for anyone who missed it....FIBERGLASS. The same stuff a 70's Corvette is made mostly of.

The same stuff they use in insulation. You know, the stuff you're not supposed to be breathing.

So, that's why I think smoking shouldn't be illegal. What they put into the cigs should be illegal. And I'm for not smoking in public buildings and what not. But not bars. I mean really. That's a bit much.

[quote name='MorphRC' date='Aug 28 2004, 11:49 AM'] Yes they should. And they should be deemed a mortal sin, since they are a drug. [/quote]
Phatmass is a drug too, I don't hear you complaining.

Drugs aren't "mortal" sin cause its a drug, and drugs are bad and do bad stuff to you cause drugs are bad mmmkay. Some drugs are actually beneficial for you. For example, drugs are commonly used in the medical profession, to treat sick people. I reckon without drugs, there'd be a lot sick and dying people, therefore drugs are good. God bless drugs! :)

I think the drugs you're talking about are the bad one's that cause a distortion of reality, like marijuana, cocaine, gbh etc. That's the mortal sin, [b]escaping reality[/b], not the drugs mmmkay. Those drugs are the bad one's mmmkay. Nicotine is a drug yes, but it doesn't alter reality. If it's a sin, it's definitely not a mortal sin.

So you see, even God Himself endorses drugs, since He Himself in all His glory created them.

Drugs are good mmmkay.

Peace

[quote name='MorphRC' date='Aug 28 2004, 11:49 AM'] Yes they should. And they should be deemed a mortal sin, since they are a drug. [/quote]
You're not too far off:

CCC 2290: "The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: The abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air".

Now, what constitutes excess? There are some who may be able to occasionally light up. There are some that if they were to try one they would be hooked. And there are some people who have family histories of heart disease or cancer (I have BOTH) for which, in my opinion, even ONE cigarette would constitute excess.

i chose yes because those who smoke are killing people who are around them. I might as well say I had a ciggarette in my mouth while i was in the womb. My mother and father smoked so mucht the whole house was yellow.

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Aug 28 2004, 12:19 PM'] Phatmass is a drug too, I don't hear you complaining.

Drugs aren't "mortal" sin cause its a drug, and drugs are bad and do bad stuff to you cause drugs are bad mmmkay. Some drugs are actually beneficial for you. For example, drugs are commonly used in the medical profession, to treat sick people. I reckon without drugs, there'd be a lot sick and dying people, therefore drugs are good. God bless drugs! :)

I think the drugs you're talking about are the bad one's that cause a distortion of reality, like marijuana, cocaine, gbh etc. That's the mortal sin, [b]escaping reality[/b], not the drugs mmmkay. Those drugs are the bad one's mmmkay. Nicotine is a drug yes, but it doesn't alter reality. If it's a sin, it's definitely not a mortal sin.

So you see, even God Himself endorses drugs, since He Himself in all His glory created them.

Drugs are good mmmkay.

Peace [/quote]
First of all, just because God created a plant doesn't necessarily mean that He intended for it to be smoked. Example: hemp was used to make ropes. Personally, the whole, "God created it, so it must be good" attitude can be used as a justification to use God's creation in a perveted manner. (I'm not accusing you of doing that Phazzan, I'm just using your comment as a springboard to make a general point to the public, so please don't take offense).

CCC 2291: "The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law."

lifeteenchick527

[quote name='curtins' date='Aug 28 2004, 09:56 AM'] whooops!!! i thought it sed should smoking cigarrets be leagal- so i put no

so if it sed should smoking cigarrettes be illegal- my answer is yes

its bad for you- plain an simple- slow form of suicide [/quote]
same thing here...imeant yes my bad!

Thy Geekdom Come

Ideally, I think it should be. Cigarettes are instinsically evil...no good comes from them...there is no situation in which they would help anyone with anything.

Alcohol, by contrast, is not intrinsically evil. Alcohol is enjoyable and jubilant. It does not require addiction to alcohol to enjoy alcohol (for instance, a first time drinker can enjoy it).

My brother is a Libertarian-leaning Republican, which means that he thinks anything should be legal, as long as it doesn't harm others. For instance, he thinks abortion should be illegal.

Now, I am of the opinion that it is the duty of the state to advance all moral things and make all immoral things illegal. While a libertarian would say that cigarettes should be legal, I don't see this because (1) it does hurt others and (2) even if it didn't, it still hurts oneself. Overt and immediate suicide is illegal, why not the slow kind?

Noel's angel

life isnt ideal though, it would be extremely difficult to make them illeagal, i do think they should be, but anyhoo................

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Aug 28 2004, 03:04 PM'] life isnt ideal though, it would be extremely difficult to make them illeagal, i do think they should be, but anyhoo................ [/quote]
Yeah...true...

Noel's angel

[quote]Alcohol, by contrast, is not intrinsically evil. Alcohol is enjoyable and jubilant. It does not require addiction to alcohol to enjoy alcohol (for instance, a first time drinker can enjoy it).[/quote]
i have to disagree with u on that one